Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 8, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #1,306 of 14,653

There are existing setups that can already prove that statement 'slightly' inaccurate, dear fellow.

I could be wrong ofcourse because I am not lucky enough to have heard all the high-end headphones on all possible setups. I don't know anyone that has a SR-009 with the proper setup for example unfortunately.

It would be interesting to listen to the Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD800 and the Orpheus next to each other and hearing what improvements you get with the amount of money spent. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get the chance to do this test with my own ears. 

So for now I'm sceptical when going beyond the Sennheiser HD800 based on what I heard with my own ears. I might end up buying the HE-1000 simply because I don't own a planar magnetic headphone. However I don't expect a huge improvement over the HD800, so I see the HE-1000 as a "flavour" in my headphone collection.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,307 of 14,653

I could be wrong ofcourse because I am not lucky enough to have heard all the high-end headphones on all possible setups. I don't know anyone that has a SR-009 with the proper setup for example unfortunately.

It would be interesting to listen to the Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD800 and the Orpheus next to each other and hearing what improvements you get with the amount of money spent. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get the chance to do this test with my own ears. 

So for now I'm sceptical when going beyond the Sennheiser HD800 based on what I heard with my own ears. I might end up buying the HE-1000 simply because I don't own a planar magnetic headphone. However I don't expect a huge improvement over the HD800, so I see the HE-1000 as a "flavour" in my headphone collection.

A little bit of advice; try and avoid making very direct statements without listening experience. It offers no helpful purpose and will only serve to invalidate people's opinion of your own opinion.

The 'law of diminishing returns' does indeed come into play with high end gear, but it's all relative. Little gains are worth a lot to those with the ears to appreciate them.

Edit: the gains can be considerable, too. I cannot comment for Stax as I've not heard them, but the Abyss is levels above even the LCD-3F. Which in turn in levels above the HD650/600.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,308 of 14,653
I dont want to sound endgame stuff/call it quits here but aside from changing interfaces and keeping up with file formats, its to my understanding DACs have reached a level of transparency where all there's left is to trickle totl tech to cheaper models. How much advancements can DACs make in sq?

In my experience, a huge difference. And there has been progress on this market as well, progress that I hope to help in bringing down the prices.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,309 of 14,653

A little bit of advice; try and avoid making very direct statements without listening experience. It offers no helpful purpose and will only serve to invalidate people's opinion of your own opinion.

The 'law of diminishing returns' does indeed come into play with high end gear, but it's all relative. Little gains are worth a lot to those with the ears to appreciate them.

Edit: the gains can be considerable, too. I cannot comment for Stax as I've not heard them, but the Abyss is levels above even the LCD-3F. Which in turn in levels above the HD650/600.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take that in consideration next time. Maybe I should have made it more clearer that I was making a general statement based on my experience, rather than a direct statement towards the HE-1000. 

It's true little gains are worth a lot to certain people (including me).  I'm not saying that the HD600 is in line with high-end headphones. If that was the case, I wouldn't have bought the Sennheiser HD800. But given the price difference ($1500 vs $300 and taking into account how they sound), I always recommend the HD600 to friends and family when they are looking for a very good headphone rather than the Sennheiser HD800.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,310 of 14,653

funny everybody think this !  

I just yesterday compared ABYSS and LCD-X on my Eddie Curent 445 Tube Amp during a private meeting, and...I much prefered the LCD-X !?  (but with the Prautes Tube amp that was there also, the ABYSS was better!).  

So I guess it is all based on synergy and personal taste...

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,311 of 14,653
Yes indeed! The EC is an amp I'd love to try.

If I'm not mistaken, zerodefex has that amp, and has heard both the LCD-X and Abyss. Perhaps he could offer his experience also.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,312 of 14,653
I don't own a 445. I used to have a 2a3 MKIV

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,313 of 14,653

The Abyss being levels above the LCD-3F is not an absolute fact and is just another subjective opinion.  For example isquirrel likes the LCD-3Fs better than the Abyss on his Woo 234 Mono's.  Just saying..

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,314 of 14,653

Thanks Frank. With that diaphragm, and your comments thus far, I would guess it’s a very resolving/fast headphone, and hence guess it is to the HD800 what the Abyss is to the LCD-3F (next level). Sounds like having the Abyss and the HE1K would be a dream combo.

I think you making strong point Yoga it is very  fast and transparent. It  very open sounding and what i like most about it.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,315 of 14,653
So what is the consensus on the he-1000 bass? Is it really lacking compared to the lcd-3f or is it just under powered (which shouldn't be the case with its own amp the ef-1000) from my own experience with lcd-3c the bass is not coming off as a thump (though it can do that on powerful bass hits...) but rather as a whole bass articulation that does get somewhat mixed with the rest of the sound ( but separate )

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,316 of 14,653
The bass is excellent but it more balanced and neutral.  I do not  feel it lacking nor do these headphones need a muscle amp. I thinj this is similar to an HE6 with better front to back depth and wider and deeper soundstage  and more transparent. Th

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,317 of 14,653
I don't own a 445. I used to have a 2a3 MKIV

Thanks for clarifying.

The Abyss being levels above the LCD-3F is not an absolute fact and is just another subjective opinion.  For example isquirrel likes the LCD-3Fs better than the Abyss on his Woo 234 Mono's.  Just saying..

$10K amps aside, the general consensus points at the Abyss being superior to the X/3F. 

And yes, of course, audio will always be subjective :¬).

I think you making strong point Yoga it is very  fast and transparent. It  very open sounding and what i like most about it.

Thanks again Frank.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,319 of 14,653

Thanks for clarifying.

$10K amps aside, the general consensus points at the Abyss being superior to the X/3F. 

And yes, of course, audio will always be subjective :¬).

Thanks again Frank.

One thing about a consensus in audio.  The only consensus is there will never be a consensus.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,320 of 14,653

One thing about a consensus in audio.  The only consensus is there will never be a consensus.

Well there's a consensus that you can't do a blind test with audio without most likely failing at distinguishing most differences.

But that's not why we're here...

Still, some did say that bass is not HE-1000's strong point as some other headphones hit harder and more expressively....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back