Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 9, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,336 of 14,702
Well then why don't I find it interesting to send my 3c for an upgrade...

Also a good recommendation for companiesfor next generation is to provide free upgrades because we have already paid the same money people with newer models have paid so why should we be screwed over? Also people who had a failed driver did get a free upgrade...

"Free upgrades for life"?  Not something that's financially viable for any technology company.
You aren't being "screwed over" every time a company releases an upgrade or a new product, it's just something we all need to accept when we make a purchase - that some day, a newer model will be available.

Warranty replacement is an entirely different topic than a free upgrade, so not sure what point you're making.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,337 of 14,702
Well then why don't I find it interesting to send my 3c for an upgrade...

Only you can answer that.  I sold my LCD-3C and didn't look back until the LCD-3Fs came out. 

Correct, I think - as I recall it the 3f wasn't much worse than my HE-6 :p

The LCD-3Fs are closer to the HE-6 than the LCD-3C ever could be.  Close but still, no cigar..

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #1,338 of 14,702

Oh, so you were referring to how Frank said that the HE-6's bass sounds like the HE-1000's?  It could be. Honestly, I haven't heard the HE-6 long enough to really make a call on this.

Sorry, when I first read your earlier statement I thought you meant something else.

Maybe I should said think of HE6 with more of everything bass extension,treble extension and huge. soundstage. Another strong point is imaging. The HE1000 imaging is special.   The bass is not a weak point on this headphone .

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,339 of 14,702
  Maybe I should said think of HE6 with more of everything bass extension,treble extension and huge. soundstage. Another strong point is imaging. The HE1000 imaging is special.   The bass is not a weak point on this headphone .

Can't wait for your review, Frank :D 

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,340 of 14,702

A little bit of advice; try and avoid making very direct statements without listening experience. It offers no helpful purpose and will only serve to invalidate people's opinion of your own opinion.

The 'law of diminishing returns' does indeed come into play with high end gear, but it's all relative. Little gains are worth a lot to those with the ears to appreciate them.

Edit: the gains can be considerable, too. I cannot comment for Stax as I've not heard them, but the Abyss is levels above even the LCD-3F. Which in turn in levels above the HD650/600.

I also never felt the abyss competed with any of these headphones.  It competes directly with the HD600/650s in my mind.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,341 of 14,702
So what is the consensus on the he-1000 bass? Is it really lacking compared to the lcd-3f or is it just under powered (which shouldn't be the case with its own amp the ef-1000) from my own experience with lcd-3c the bass is not coming off as a thump (though it can do that on powerful bass hits...) but rather as a whole bass articulation that does get somewhat mixed with the rest of the sound ( but separate )

I felt that the HE1000s bass was more present than on any of the LCDs, although I felt the LCDs bass seemed a bit more detailed and impactful.  I gave the edge to the LCD3F's, but thats just it... an edge.

Edit: this was w/ the Mcintosh Mha1000, Auralic Taurus mk2, and EF1000

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,344 of 14,702

Say what? the Abyss Competes with HD600/650 Maybe I better take another listen to these! Or did I miss something?
I'm also wondering how interesting a HE6 replacement would be Mmmmmmm.

You're not the only one that's confused. I've heard both the HD650 and the Abyss, and while they were on different setups, the Abyss to me is easily in another class of headphones.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,348 of 14,702
Hey guys,
This is to anyone who's owned the HE-560 and/or got to compare it a bit to the HE-1K.
The HE-560 with the stock pads can be a bit sibilant-y at times [probably due to the 5KHz peak, which the stock Focus pad version 560 has]. Did anyone have a chance to see whether the HE-1000 also has this this tendency?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,349 of 14,702
  Hey guys,
This is to anyone who's owned the HE-560 and/or got to compare it a bit to the HE-1K.
The HE-560 with the stock pads can be a bit sibilant-y at times [probably due to the 5KHz peak, which the stock Focus pad version 560 has]. Did anyone have a chance to see whether the HE-1000 also has this this tendency?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

I mentioned a few days ago here that the Draug 2 cable I got really helps with the sibilance (I would say eliminates completely in my case) AND makes the bass more profound and controlled as a bonus.
Before you give up on the 560, I recommend you try this.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,350 of 14,702
I think that Hifiman has done a great job with their phones. Many price points and the listening quality for most people, has not failed to impress and give long term enjoyment. Regarding bass quality, I can only imagine that Hifiman knows what they are doing and what they are pursuing. I would sit back and enjoy the ride with confidence. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back