Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #14,611 of 14,653
That’s the HEKse not the HEKSE.

Hifiman and their nomenclature
I wouldn't rely on using lower case/caps to differentiate between two different models for multiple reasons. not least because posters here are frequently careless and/or indifferent to their use of capitalization. Ditto for punctuation, grammar, and intelligible writing. I'm sorry (well, not really) to be pedantic, but as a retired attorney who also spent years writing/editing legal reference books, I take these things very seriously. (Of course, I'm talking about people whose first language is English. I am frequently impressed how well those here from non-English speaking countries express themselves in English. To loosely paraphrase Professor Henry Higgins: Why can't the English-speakers (most particularly my fellow Americans) learn to write?) Anyway, I'd call the HEK Special Edition the SE (or, if you must, se) and the HEK V2 Stealth Magnet edition the Stealth. See how much less confusing that is?

In any event, I've had the HEK Stealth for several weeks and have fallen in love with it. I liked my Arya Stealth a lot, but the $1400 price tag for a headphone that was essentially $3K not that long ago proved too enticing. I found the upgrade over the Arya Stealth to be bigger than I expected. While there is obviously a lot of similarities in the sound signature of both headphones, there are a few pretty significant differences. While I found the bass quality of the Arya Stealth to be terrific, it was a little light in bass quantity; the HEK Stealth is not. Bass is much more prominent in the HEK and bass lines (I'm a bass guitar aficionado) are much easier to follow. Resolution is also clearly improved. But the biggest--and to my ears the most surprising--difference was in imaging. While the Arya Stealth is very good at this (and is an absolute steal at its current price), the HEK Stealth is even better. Sound stage is bigger in every dimension, instruments are even more precisely placed, and it is much more holographic. I upgraded with Hifiman for my Arya Stealth and $705USD (a product of the recent Arya Stealth price drop to $759) and I don't regret a single penny.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #14,612 of 14,653
I agree. SE needs to be reserved only for Special Edition.

Whereas the Stealth could be called a few different things. As long as the reader knows you're talking about the model which is CURRENTLY made, and not a past iteration.

HE1000, HE1000 V2, HE1000 V3, HE1000 Stealth.

Though, for clarity's sake, just calling it what it's listed as on Amazon and HIFIMan's site is best: HE1000 Stealth.

No confusion there.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #14,613 of 14,653
So, big question of the day!

Are there any top-shelf IEMs which sound anything like the HE1000 Stealth?

My go-to in-ears are the Empire Ears Legend X. Which thankfully, haven't been ruined by my HEK experience. But it would be cool to get something closer to the sound I've fallen so in love with.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #14,614 of 14,653
I agree. SE needs to be reserved only for Special Edition.

Whereas the Stealth could be called a few different things. As long as the reader knows you're talking about the model which is CURRENTLY made, and not a past iteration.

HE1000, HE1000 V2, HE1000 V3, HE1000 Stealth.

Though, for clarity's sake, just calling it what it's listed as on Amazon and HIFIMan's site is best: HE1000 Stealth.

No confusion there.
Pinky, if you look back through the thread, you will see that I have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to simplify the naming scheme. Alas, I believe folks prefer to overcomplicate it SMDH.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #14,615 of 14,653
I hate to post about this because its kind of silly that it such a hotly debated topic, but isn't it easier to just go off what's on the box/website? i think the most common and easiest names are (in order of release):

HE 1000
HE 1000v2
HE 1000se
HE 1000 Stealth

I think a big problem is that different retailers online as well as reviewers post dumb names like v4 and v3 when im not sure that hifiman have ever used those names.

post your ads and reviews responsibly people.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #14,616 of 14,653

My go-to in-ears are the Empire Ears Legend X. Which thankfully, haven't been ruined by my HEK experience. But it would be cool to get something closer to the sound I've fallen so in love with.
i think the ie600/ie900 as well as sony ier z1r share similar characteristics to the hifiman house sound, subbass focus, more of a liquic/wet sound rather than dry, airy and spacious, large and well dimensioned soundstage, a bit brighter treble while still remaining smooth, high resolution and detailed and textured sound.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #14,618 of 14,653
I hate to post about this because its kind of silly that it such a hotly debated topic, but isn't it easier to just go off what's on the box/website? i think the most common and easiest names are (in order of release):

HE 1000
HE 1000v2
HE 1000se
HE 1000 Stealth

I think a big problem is that different retailers online as well as reviewers post dumb names like v4 and v3 when im not sure that hifiman have ever used those names.

post your ads and reviews responsibly people.
Exactly....but it will keep coming up....it has been said ad nauseum

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #14,619 of 14,653

I'd recommend UM Multiverse Mentor (I think this is quite like my HEK v2) or Elysian Acoustics Annihilator (I think this one is closer to HEK Stealth)

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #14,621 of 14,653
I’m not sure I understand the need for that much power with the SE. Can someone technical comment on this?

I use an RME ADI 2 DAC FS which maxes out at 1.5W into 32ohm in high gain and I never get past -20db with the SE. Most of my listening on the SE is lower than -30db to -40db in low gain. The dac can go up to +10db to give you an idea of headroom. With a +5db bass shelf on the ADI peq, the SE sounds fantastic. So I’m not sure what you get from higher power output.

I also use the same DAC with a DCA expanse which is more power hungry and even then I’m always listening lower than -20db (which is loud to my ears). And the Expanse sounds phenomenal.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #14,622 of 14,653
I’m not sure I understand the need for that much power with the SE. Can someone technical comment on this?

I use an RME ADI 2 DAC FS which maxes out at 1.5W into 32ohm in high gain and I never get past -20db with the SE. Most of my listening on the SE is lower than -30db to -40db in low gain. The dac can go up to +10db to give you an idea of headroom. With a +5db bass shelf on the ADI peq, the SE sounds fantastic. So I’m not sure what you get from higher power output.

I also use the same DAC with a DCA expanse which is more power hungry and even then I’m always listening lower than -20db (which is loud to my ears). And the Expanse sounds phenomenal.
You don't get anything from having more power. The HE 1000 line is very efficient. I'm using a Stealth out of my RME and WM1ZM2 DAP right now. I also ordered a V2 non stealth to compare them. The DAP does 500mw out of the balanced jack. It drives them to deafening levels same as my RME. There's no lack of power or dynamics from either. I prefer the DAP as well just because of Sony's post processing. You can even run the Susvara off of the RME. It is also deafening. I just didn't like the sound signature of them.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #14,625 of 14,653
You don't get anything from having more power. The HE 1000 line is very efficient. I'm using a Stealth out of my RME and WM1ZM2 DAP right now. I also ordered a V2 non stealth to compare them. The DAP does 500mw out of the balanced jack. It drives them to deafening levels same as my RME. There's no lack of power or dynamics from either. I prefer the DAP as well just because of Sony's post processing. You can even run the Susvara off of the RME. It is also deafening. I just didn't like the sound signature of them.
I believe this to be borne from the HE6 (and it's sub variants) being very inefficient - I have the HE6se V2 and a FiiO K9 (2w per channel at 32ohms) and I can hear, the higher up the volume dial I go that the bass becomes crunchier (distortion level noticeably increasing) which definitely does not happen at all with the Sundara (closed), which is much easier to drive.

I'm looking at getting a Topping A70 Pro to sort that out, so - I guess - to come full circle on your point, if everything sounds great at your perfect / maximum volume listening levels, then absolutely no need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back