Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 1, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #14,581 of 14,673
Not quite sure how I feel about the HE1000se yet--as it is new with little burn in.
So far I do feel the Stealth had more attack with stronger, punchier dynamics. My V2 on the other hand is simply sweet sounding.
Ive never heard the v2. U are in a unique spot having all 3 to play with. I do think Stealth was a good choice for my genres.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #14,582 of 14,673
Ive never heard the v2. U are in a unique spot having all 3 to play with. I do think Stealth was a good choice for my genres.
I don't have all 3. I have my V2 for ~6yrs now and they're still amazing. I bought the Stealth !Jan '24 direct from HiFiMAN--and returned them for the SE which I currently own (along with my V2) but again--not sure how I feel about the SE yet. With this being said--cant go wrong with any iteration at their price points.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #14,583 of 14,673
I don't have all 3. I have my V2 for ~6yrs now and they're still amazing. I bought the Stealth !Jan '24 direct from HiFiMAN--and returned them for the SE which I currently own (along with my V2) but again--not sure how I feel about the SE yet. With this being said--cant go wrong with any iteration at their price points.
Aw, gotcha, you got ghost memories lol. Almost impossible not to hear ghosts in that situation bc thats nervosa inducing.
I think you'll grow into SE.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #14,584 of 14,673
But , if not @joseph69 I'd trade ya my Stealths for the SE just for the yolo.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #14,585 of 14,673
I'm not a big fan of bright headphones, but I talked myself into ordering the HEK Stealth last night. :)

I want a nice set of soundstage/detail monsters which I can actually tolerate, to complement my warmer cans and give me a different flavor to choose from. The HD800 was just too fatiguing for me.

I have the Violectric V281 Reissue heading my way, as well as the Schiit Bifrost 2/64. Hopefully that will be a smooth enough system to make the HEK Stealth a transparent yet comfortable experience.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #14,586 of 14,673
Should sound wonderful imo.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #14,587 of 14,673
Well, I don't have the V281 yet, but playing from my DX7Pro>NFB-28 system, my first impressions are VERY good. These are much warmer than I expected. The treble is quite smooth, at least as I listen through Abbey Road. Maybe it will come out and bite me on another album, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised by these!

HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_01.jpg
HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_02.jpg
HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_03.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #14,588 of 14,673
I'm not a big fan of bright headphones, but I talked myself into ordering the HEK Stealth last night. :)

I want a nice set of soundstage/detail monsters which I can actually tolerate, to complement my warmer cans and give me a different flavor to choose from. The HD800 was just too fatiguing for me.

I have the Violectric V281 Reissue heading my way, as well as the Schiit Bifrost 2/64. Hopefully that will be a smooth enough system to make the HEK Stealth a transparent yet comfortable experience.
God, I wanted one of those 281 reissues so bad.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #14,589 of 14,673
God, I wanted one of those 281 reissues so bad.
Still some available. The first batch arrives at their warehouse tomorrow, and then they'll start shipping out. I'm VERY eager. :D

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #14,590 of 14,673
Well, I don't have the V281 yet, but playing from my DX7Pro>NFB-28 system, my first impressions are VERY good. These are much warmer than I expected. The treble is quite smooth, at least as I listen through Abbey Road. Maybe it will come out and bite me on another album, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised by these!

Ive never heard biting treble unless it was a horrible recording.
HeK treble is god-tier.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #14,591 of 14,673
Ive never heard biting treble unless it was a horrible recording.
HeK treble is god-tier.
I swear you and i were born with the same ears man!!!!!!!!

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #14,592 of 14,673

HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_01.jpg
HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_02.jpg
HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_03.jpg
Welcome dude.....great purchase, top tier bang for the buck

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #14,593 of 14,673
Welcome dude.....great purchase, top tier bang for the buck
Very glad I made this purchase.

I had only heard the HE1000 once, and for a very short session at a small audio get together in St. Louis, back in 2018 or so. I have no idea what version it was, but I remember it being a marvelously easy, natural listen.

Luckily, the sound signature hasn't changed much in those years. If anything, it's even more warm and easy on the ears than before.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #14,594 of 14,673
Apr 6, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #14,595 of 14,673
My Schiit Bifrost 2/64 arrived, and I rearranged my source chain some.

Before, I was running Topping DX7Pro>Little Bear Selector Box>Emotiva Active Speakers, or DX7Pro>Little Bear Selector Box>Audio-GD NFB-28>Headphones

Since the Bifrost doesn't have volume control, I need to run everything through the NFB-28. So I've gotten rid of the Little Bear in my chain. And I've upgraded my interconnect to a shorter, thicker gauge set of XLRs.

Current chain looks like this: Bifrost>NFB-28>Speakers || Headphones.

I tell you all this to emphasize more has changed than merely the DAC.

That said, things have DEFINITELY warmed up, and in a good way. The HE1000 Stealth sounded amazing before. Of all the music I listened to, only The White Stripes sounded a little fatiguing in the treble region. Whereas The Beatles, Pink Floyd, classical, and other audiophile recordings, all sounded heavenly.

There wasn't much improvement needed. Yet improvement I received. The new chain, with the Bifrost at the heart, is warmer still, with less shrill treble, even on The White Stripes. I listened to them extensively, and never grew fatigued. There is also noticeably more weight and body to the sound. Things come across more tangible and present.

The last piece to this full-system upgrade will be the Violectric V281 Reissue, which still hasn't shipped yet. That is a warm sounding amp in its own right, but I don't expect it to be much warmer than the Audio-GD. Though I am expecting significant improvements in other aspects. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back