Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #13,981 of 14,797
I'm torn between SE and Stealth.

I know the SE is the clearest and cleanest. I heard it before. It is technically IMHO better than Susvara or TC in detail and cleanliness, and tightness. Best I heard in pure technical terms- really like a clear window to the music. Treble is not a severe iussue for me on SE but but the thin character is a problem for me that I cannot live with. I need a more thickness. I heard a V1 recently and althoiugh it is the poorest preformer of the HE1000 seriez technically- it was thicker sounding than the HE1000SE I heard. I unserstand that the Stealth gives up a bit in cleanliness but adds some fullness- and therefore I am leaning that way. I'd appreciate advice from others. From what I have read, the stealth is the "most "Audeze" or "ZMF" leaning of all the HE1000's even though it is still 80-90% HE1000; meaning bright and clear and holographic. Is this correct? For rock and roll- which would be preferable- Stealth or SE?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #13,983 of 14,797
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #13,984 of 14,797
I have tried the HE1000SE and to my ears it is to thin sounding- although superb in every other way. I was hoping the v2 non stealth would give me some more weight in the delivery.
Neither the He1000Se nor the He1000v2 non-stealth is thin if paired properly (Amp and Dac).

If you are upsampling to say 768k or higher - then yes - both headphones can sound thin.
Both headphones are both very gear-dependent, but the He1000SE is much more forgiving when paired with mid-fi or below gear (i.e smart phones and dongle dac/amp).

IMHO, if your DAC and AMP are below mid-fi then He1000v2 non-stealth won't sound very good.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #13,987 of 14,797
THanks to everyone for your help. I have decided based on my tastes to persue a HE1000 V2 non stealth. If anyomne will sell one to me please PM me.
Excellent choice assuming you have a high-end DAC and amp to pair with the He1000v2 non-stealth.
You will love the timbre of the vocals, which in my opinion is more realistic than the He1000se.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #13,988 of 14,797
Although as mentioned--I've owned the HE1000v2 since '18 which I purchased BNIB and have been enjoying since and have never had felt the need to try another iteration of the 1000. But--curiosity got the better of me, especially in regards to the HE1000 Stealth which I placed my order for direct from the HiFiMAN site very early this morning. My order should be here within a couple of days being I'm located in Staten Island, NY and HiFiMAN has a warehouse in Bellmore, NY which is ~1hr away.

I've never once tried the stock cable that came with my v2--I've only used either my 4-Pin XLR WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse or my 4-Pin XLR Danacable Lazuli Reference Plus. In the past I've also owned and listened with the XLR Danacable Lazuli Reference--which I no longer own. Since my v2 has 2.5mm headphone jacks and the Stealth has 3.5mm jacks I'll need to do some comparisons between both with their stock XLR cables.

If I should find that the presentations between both headphones are too close and not worth owning both, I'll make a decision to let one go and possibly buy the HE1000SE--which I'm a bit skeptical about being it's supposed to be the closest sounding to the Susvara, which I sold over the v2 while owning both at the same time for months. If I find the v2 and Stealth to compliment each other and enjoy both for what they bring to the table--I'll then place an order for 2.5mm > 3.5mm adapters from Affinity Cables so I can use both aftermarket cables with each headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #13,989 of 14,797
Neither the He1000Se nor the He1000v2 non-stealth is thin if paired properly (Amp and Dac).

If you are upsampling to say 768k or higher - then yes - both headphones can sound thin.
Both headphones are both very gear-dependent, but the He1000SE is much more forgiving when paired with mid-fi or below gear (i.e smart phones and dongle dac/amp).

IMHO, if your DAC and AMP are below mid-fi then He1000v2 non-stealth won't sound very good.
I'm only addressng the later 3:

v2 is the easiest to drive and the warmest/easiest sounding (w/o PEQ). My personal knock is that the image/soundstage is very outsized. Second is that the bass impact is the most diffuse of the 3.

Stealth - flatter but has the f*&^ing 6.5k rise which I really dislike. It's got the best bass impact of the 3, and for someone that does not like elevated mid/upper bass (because its usually sloppy/overhung - these have a very potent mid/upper bass, but its fast.

SE - is like a HFM that's got a Stax 2nd cousin. It's for detail, but part of it seems to be response related - as in elevated response from 2.7k up coupled with a bit bigger 1.8k dip.

I did not have a chance to A/B the Stealth/SE or apply PEQ to either, (I did have the PEQ on the v2), and heard all 3 on my chain. Given the price, and an ability to use PEQ - I'd go for the Stealth, the SE isn't worth the extra price (to me) and PEQ cannot downscale the overblown stage of the v2, or mimic the bass impact to the level of the Stealth.

Make no mistake I'd trade all 3 of my headphones for either of the three. As for leaving out the v1 - it's getting long in the tooth, isn't available new, and I haven't heard it in 5 years.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #13,991 of 14,797
@bagwell359
The SE is the easiest to drive at 96dB sensitivity
The Stealth is a bit less easier to drive at 93dB sensitivity
And the v2 is the hardest to drive at 90dB sensitivity
It's not just a matter of power. The Stealth reveals more/is brighter - thus IMO its fussier about amps and sources.

But, I'm less concerned than most about power since I have no trouble driving HE-6's on medium gain on my daily driver since 2016 - Rag 1 so, I may not be the best judge. The v2 and Stealth did better wit my Rag. The SE showed up some mid treble dryness - not a flaw of the SE, but perhaps a requirement.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #13,993 of 14,797
Hello all, interesting discussion and contributions.
Would the HFM EF400 drive correctly the HE1000 Stealth?
I see bagwell has HE6s...EF400 would be enough for them too?
Thanks
Should sound great.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #13,994 of 14,797
This morning reply from Hifiman customer support I contacted yesterday:
"Sorry, EF400 is not suitable for HE6se"...
I am a bit surprised, the power supplied should be within the specs...maybe there's not much in excess and EF400 might be a bit "strained", but even "not suitable"...
anyone here who has this gear working? EF400+HE6se?

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #13,995 of 14,797
This morning reply from Hifiman customer support I contacted yesterday:
"Sorry, EF400 is not suitable for HE6se"...
I am a bit surprised, the power supplied should be within the specs...maybe there's not much in excess and EF400 might be a bit "strained", but even "not suitable"...
anyone here who has this gear working? EF400+HE6se?
Maybe they want you to buy EF600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back