Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #13,951 of 14,798
Initially I was going for an R2R DAC (Holo Cyan mk2) but after testing the Lampizator big7 (no EQing required for all genre), I prefer the Lampi even though it is a sigma/delta.
Currently using PC as my source thru ifi zen dac, so I use an EQ software to slightly tame the high ends.
The L7 brings the tubes along to make the sound more analog. But wait, according to what I read the Holo Cyan mk2 isn't being shipped yet...

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #13,952 of 14,798
Budget up to $1,5k. I listen to many kinds of music, so I prefer a balanced setup. Better not too smooth. I got an AK4499EX DAC. Those are probably smoother than ESS?
That is an audiophile myth. A DAC chip would have to have deliberate DSP processing built in to attenuate or accentuate a frequency or group of frequency. Until somebody can demonstrate in properly constructed, valid blind listening trials that they can consistently identify a difference, the idea that AKM and ESS chips are different in this key respect is simply rampant speculation fueled by bias creation and expectation confirmation. I have owned several examples of both companies chips over the years and personally never noticed this effect.

There is a well documented ESS hump that many companies have learned how to eliminate or significantly reduce, and I am not even sure if the hump was ever audible as opposed to measurable.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #13,954 of 14,798
The L7 brings the tubes along to make the sound more analog. But wait, according to what I read the Holo Cyan mk2 isn't being shipped yet...
Yes it’s not yet shipping. There’s a dealer here in Hong Kong, who’s got a demo unit. Can test it then pay a deposit to get priority once stocks arrive, he said ETA around mid/late January. I was like 99.9% going for Cyan2 but that night at my friend’s place, his Lampi B7 changed my mind. And those tubes just add much more points.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #13,955 of 14,798
Yes it’s not yet shipping. There’s a dealer here in Hong Kong, who’s got a demo unit. Can test it then pay a deposit to get priority once stocks arrive, he said ETA around mid/late January. I was like 99.9% going for Cyan2 but that night at my friend’s place, his Lampi B7 changed my mind. And those tubes just add much more points.
thanks for the clarification - it seemed in the post like you preferred the L7 over the R2R sonically.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #13,956 of 14,798
Ayone with a HE1000 v2 (non stealth) to sell- please contact me.

I would purchase the he1000 V2 straight from the website, its $1209 out the door, thats where I have purchased all my hifiman he1000 series. I purchased refurbished, always amazing condition, and it's back by the standard hifiman full warranty. Shipped fast and got to me quickly. Also you earn reward points now when purchased from the website. Earn 10% back in member rewards. $1 is 1 point.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-v2-refurbished-3-5mm.html

I do love my he1000 v2, such an amazing detailed warm wide sound, thats my stuck on a island headphone. Never getting rid of it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #13,957 of 14,798
I would purchase the he1000 V2 straight from the website, its $1209 out the door, thats where I have purchased all my hifiman he1000 series. I purchased refurbished, always amazing condition, and it's back by the standard hifiman full warranty. Shipped fast and got to me quickly. Also you earn reward points now when purchased from the website. Earn 10% back in member rewards. $1 is 1 point.

I do love my he1000 v2, such an amazing detailed warm wide sound, thats my stuck on a island headphone. Never getting rid of it.
That is the safe way, and recommended. OTOH, those short of cash, HFM for the most part drop in price over time substantially. Part of that is that warranties do not convey, and HFM releases new varieties and versions like mushrooms pop up in a damp dark woods.

With the SE dropping to $2k and the newer and hot Stealth at $1.4k, the used market on v2's has to be drifting towards or under $900. The HEX v1 and v2 prices dropped a lot when the XS came out, the HE-6 SE v1 and v2 both got the Adorama price guilotine.

However, no warranty, and if you didn't buy from a trusted user (plus they first came out in 2017?) - well that's the risk/joy of the used market.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #13,958 of 14,798
>>I do love my he1000 v2, such an amazing detailed warm wide sound, thats my stuck on a island headphone. Never getting rid of it.

i also love the warm wide sound of V2
i also have a Stealth but could not make it same warm like v2 - any peq-hints?

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #13,959 of 14,798
>>I do love my he1000 v2, such an amazing detailed warm wide sound, thats my stuck on a island headphone. Never getting rid of it.

i also love the warm wide sound of V2
i also have a Stealth but could not make it same warm like v2 - any peq-hints?
65 Hz +2.4 db Q 1.0 hopefully using a bass shelf, if not then set it to 35 Hz Q 3.0
4k cut 1.8 db Q 1.8
7.5k cut 2.8 db Q 2.0
6.2k cut 3 db Q 8.0
13k cut 3.6 db Q 3.5

probably need to add a bit to the pre-amp setting since its mostly negative cuts.

I used to love the v2, but the Stealth IMO is better and has better bass impact (under 100 Hz) than the v2 - but the highs do need to be tamped down - like what was suggested.

Recommend using your favorite 10 cuts of diff music types and adjust if its not the correct timbre.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #13,961 of 14,798
Anyone of you using the HE1000 Stealth with a Ferrum Oor / Hypsos combo. I would like to know if this is a good combination (synergy).
Adding a Ferrum Wandla to this combo would be my personal endgame....
I wish! Thats my dream stack, too.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #13,962 of 14,798
That is an audiophile myth. A DAC chip would have to have deliberate DSP processing built in to attenuate or accentuate a frequency or group of frequency. Until somebody can demonstrate in properly constructed, valid blind listening trials that they can consistently identify a difference, the idea that AKM and ESS chips are different in this key respect is simply rampant speculation fueled by bias creation and expectation confirmation. I have owned several examples of both companies chips over the years and personally never noticed this effect.

There is a well documented ESS hump that many companies have learned how to eliminate or significantly reduce, and I am not even sure if the hump was ever audible as opposed to measurable.
The actual chip ( ess or akm ) is just a small piece of the overall presentation.
Other important factors are the quality of components such as resistors and power supply and etc.
My gustard x26pro has an ess chip but it is the most analog sounding ess chip I have heard.

DACs definitely make a significant different if your headphones / speakers are transparent / resolving enough. I think all he1000 versions or better will be able to hear the difference in sound signature.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #13,963 of 14,798
The actual chip ( ess or akm ) is just a small piece of the overall presentation.
Other important factors are the quality of components such as resistors and power supply and etc.
My gustard x26pro has an ess chip but it is the most analog sounding ess chip I have heard.

DACs definitely make a significant different if your headphones / speakers are transparent / resolving enough. I think all he1000 versions or better will be able to hear the difference in sound signature.
That is another myth, if you can't hear a difference your gear isn't good enough. Sorry, but that is just not at all a workable theory.

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #13,964 of 14,798
That is another myth, if you can't hear a difference your gear isn't good enough. Sorry, but that is just not at all a workable theory.
I am just sharing my experience......
For example, cables and interconnects and power cables didn't make any difference using the hd6xx.

Using the he1000se, any change in my audiochain made an audible difference. Amp and DAC being the biggest difference compare to cables and interconnects.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #13,965 of 14,798

This is the V2 non stealth?

Is the HE1000 V2 non stealth considered fuller sounding than the other HE1000 models? I dound the HE1000SE technically stunning- but thin...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back