Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 2, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #13,936 of 14,798
Hi, no I haven't and I forget the technical reason why, but if I remember correctly, tube amps are more dangerous to use like this. Wish I could remember the reasons for this.

output transformer coupled tube amps are not designed to work with a load that differs greatly from it's "ideal", let's say 4, 8, 16 Ohms. Connect a HE6 with its 50 Ohms to it and you basically have no load at all and by this you basically burn the outputs. This is where the Hifiman box comes into play, being and acting as a load near 8 ohm.

That's what I remember.
Thanks, that makes sense

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #13,937 of 14,798
Just be sure the Amazon seller is an authorized Schiit dealer or you may not have a warranty.
Oh, fa sho. It's from the Schitt Storefront there. I mentioned it because there isnt that same deal on Schiit Website Store. There just a few of them. They do say brand new.

Maybe a Ragnarok 3 is in the works... The whole Industry has shortened development cycles it seems like and now we are moving forward sooo much faster with many more products than in years past. A lot of them are perfecting their crafts it seems.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #13,938 of 14,798
Just be sure the Amazon seller is an authorized Schiit dealer or you may not have a warranty.
They are direct from Schiit, that's an outstanding deal. But only in silver, they look great in the dark grey

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #13,939 of 14,798
Started to read this thread the past few hours ( mostly further back pages). Seems most recommendations are the Schiit amps.
Unfortunately for me, there no longer a local dealer so I opted for a Violectric V222 with my fairly new HE1000 stealth. I believe it’s a good pairing. However I’ve yet to get a proper DAC and currently using an ifi zen dac 😆
Few days ago went to my pals and tried his Lampizator big7, and I was in awe of what this headphone is capable. No words to describe how good it was, not just technical. It’s the emotion of the music/artist can be felt.
Signal chain- cayin N8 - digital out to Lapizator big7 - rca out to v222 - stock cable to HE1000 stealth
Usb and rca cables(siltech) are high-end usd1500-2000 each
I am super happy that I chose this hp over LCD-X and Focal Clear mg pro

Attachments

• 39db4129-cec5-4a1b-bb64-5cf75f4ad02b.jpeg
    39db4129-cec5-4a1b-bb64-5cf75f4ad02b.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • e73d602f-c0a0-4fd5-a87c-bbdbaefe8ac0.jpeg
    e73d602f-c0a0-4fd5-a87c-bbdbaefe8ac0.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 0
  • 99236fb8-d7fa-417e-b3fa-453276b6787e.jpeg
    99236fb8-d7fa-417e-b3fa-453276b6787e.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #13,940 of 14,798
Started to read this thread the past few hours ( mostly further back pages). Seems most recommendations are the Schiit amps.
Unfortunately for me, there no longer a local dealer so I opted for a Violectric V222 with my fairly new HE1000 stealth. I believe it’s a good pairing. However I’ve yet to get a proper DAC and currently using an ifi zen dac 😆
Few days ago went to my pals and tried his Lampizator big7, and I was in awe of what this headphone is capable. No words to describe how good it was, not just technical. It’s the emotion of the music/artist can be felt.
Signal chain- cayin N8 - digital out to Lapizator big7 - rca out to v222 - stock cable to HE1000 stealth
Usb and rca cables(siltech) are high-end usd1500-2000 each
I am super happy that I chose this hp over LCD-X and Focal Clear mg pro
I'm very much enjoying the Stealth with my Violectric V200, so even though it's not a V222, it most likely is comparable.
However, I enjoy the Stealth even more on my Tor Audio OTC amp, as it takes a bit of the edge of the top end and adds a bit of warmth. Really like that combination 👍

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #13,941 of 14,798
What budget range and what style of music. For instance if you love a smooth Jazz experience and want to stay around $1000 bucks than a Hifiman Serenade is a great choice.
Budget up to $1,5k. I listen to many kinds of music, so I prefer a balanced setup. Better not too smooth. I got an AK4499EX DAC. Those are probably smoother than ESS?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #13,942 of 14,798
Planars - speakers and headphones have always done best with more current. The Aune S17 is getting rapturous reviews. Rag 1, 1.5, 2 are great - and if you have or may get speakers to run, its the way to go. Lots of fans of the Soloist too. On paper they all have more than enough for the HEK line as well as the power piglet HE-6 Series.
I got active speakers, so no need for speaker outputs. The rag2 is pretty big, so I'd need to buy a fitting rack - only to run headphones with it. Maybe I'll try the Aune first and see if it's an improvement over Soloist.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #13,943 of 14,798
I got active speakers, so no need for speaker outputs. The rag2 is pretty big, so I'd need to buy a fitting rack - only to run headphones with it. Maybe I'll try the Aune first and see if it's an improvement over Soloist.
IMO transducers yield the biggest bang for the buck assuming your power and source are capable to drive the transducer(s). If you have extra coin look at different or upgraded speakers or headphones, or adding to what you have. If you have vinyl as a major source then that's also crucial. If digital that's more amp/pre-amp/int amp level, although I would argue a bit more important.

In a given set-up, say mine, I would be happy to evaluate all 3 of those amps for headphone only use, and I'd probably arrive at a hierarchy. But if I change/added to my headphone collection, it could change the order. That's why I'd aim at the headphones, then the DAC before a more or less side-grade on the amp. But I do not know the particulars, so this may not be applicable to you.

Comments?

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #13,944 of 14,798
Another GREAT stack is the Topping A70 Pro + D70 Octo . @16Ohm 17000mW and @ 32Ohm 12600mW. Also makes a GREAT pairing for the Tungsten I might add.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #13,945 of 14,798
I'm very much enjoying the Stealth with my Violectric V200, so even though it's not a V222, it most likely is comparable.
However, I enjoy the Stealth even more on my Tor Audio OTC amp, as it takes a bit of the edge of the top end and adds a bit of warmth. Really like that combination 👍
Those Tor Audio vintage style tube amp looks cool. Wish I could audition those, as I never buy audio stuffs that I can’t audition.
I agree with you on the slight edginess on top end of the HEK stealth, on some recordings it is quite obvious. And I think a tube DAC and a pure copper wire hp cable might be the solution for my set up.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #13,946 of 14,798
Those Tor Audio vintage style tube amp looks cool. Wish I could audition those, as I never buy audio stuffs that I can’t audition.
I agree with you on the slight edginess on top end of the HEK stealth, on some recordings it is quite obvious. And I think a tube DAC and a pure copper wire hp cable might be the solution for my set up.
PEQ? R2R?

I used to do cables and equipment changes as tone controls with speakers. Once I got into headphones - R2R DAC's and PEQ do the job for me. Not that I advocate HFM cables - never used one I liked. And small signal tubes in hybrids can also be quite cool too.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #13,948 of 14,798
Just tried the woo audio mini with the HE1000 stealth and they sound good.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #13,949 of 14,798
PEQ? R2R?

I used to do cables and equipment changes as tone controls with speakers. Once I got into headphones - R2R DAC's and PEQ do the job for me. Not that I advocate HFM cables - never used one I liked. And small signal tubes in hybrids can also be quite cool too.
Initially I was going for an R2R DAC (Holo Cyan mk2) but after testing the Lampizator big7 (no EQing required for all genre), I prefer the Lampi even though it is a sigma/delta.
Currently using PC as my source thru ifi zen dac, so I use an EQ software to slightly tame the high ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back