Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 25, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #13,576 of 14,685
Edit: Forgot a question: Have any of you stretched your HEK to loosen the clamp on them? I found that a big part of the reason the HD800 was more comfortable was less clamping force, so I want to lose up the HEKS if possible?
Yes, I have loosened the clamp of my HEK by grabbing the metal arc either side of each of the two bends and pull apart (with your thumbs directly on the bend, and fingers on either side). The clamp wasn't bad to start with, but I just like a looser clamp.

Requires quite a bit of force to make a permanent change. To avoid mistakes, take your time and increase the force gradually until it starts to make a difference.
Do this at your own risk, but I found there was no detrimental impact to the metal arc - it was looked exactly as before, but with a bit less clamping force

PS. I much preferred my (then) HEK V2 over HD800S, when driven by DAVE. I've since got the impression that the HD800S likes to have an amp with plenty of power reserves in order to "wake up".

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #13,577 of 14,685
Yes, I have loosened the clamp of my HEK by grabbing the metal arc either side of each of the two bends and pull apart (with your thumbs directly on the bend, and fingers on either side). The clamp wasn't bad to start with, but I just like a looser clamp.

Requires quite a bit of force to make a permanent change. To avoid mistakes, take your time and increase the force gradually until it starts to make a difference.
Do this at your own risk, but I found there was no detrimental impact to the metal arc - it was looked exactly as before, but with a bit less clamping force

PS. I much preferred my (then) HEK V2 over HD800S, when driven by DAVE. I've since got the impression that the HD800S likes to have an amp with plenty of power reserves in order to "wake up".
Thank you for the description, I will give that a try and see if I can get them to clamp a bit less. 👍

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #13,578 of 14,685
HEK V2 Stealth sounding fantastic with the new Lumin T3. It's amazing how expansive the stage is on the Stealth. The GS-X Mini is a phenomenal amp for it, IMO.
Really full and lush sound.
IMG_20231025_165447245_HDR.jpg

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #13,579 of 14,685
I'm 2 weeks into a HEKV2 vs HEK Stealth A/B.
Also trialing Burson 3XP, Violectric V222, Hifiman Serenade, and Bifrost 2/64 with OG and New Soundcards.

I can't say anything definitively yet, but the Burson has the best soundstage, The Violectric is so velvety and keeps me coming back most, and the Serenade is a damn good middle ground with a wide almost neutral natural tune. If I just had $999, nothing's gonna beat the Serenade.
V222 + Bifrost 2/64 w/ New Card is the overall winning combo. somehow even fuller than the OG card, which just sounds clouded and soft by comparison.

Surprisingly to me the Stealth is winning for me too, I was so deadset on the V2 but the Dynamics and detail advantage is easily heard on the Stealth. The stealth also isn't as shrill or cold as I thought it would be! It's still so warm on the V222, and even on a solidstate amp it's lush. The Stealth has richer deeper striking timbre, but the V2 is much smoother fuller sounding. Miss the vocals being more forward on the V2 the most, the mid and subbass presentation is more front and center. EDIT: I REALLY miss the forward full nature. Through Vinyl with Analog, and probably any Tubes, the V2 wins every single time, a magic warmth.

I have a total Schizo Comparisons table I'll share after I make my decision. I listen to the alt spectrum from Emo through Death Metal, and prefer a musical fun presentation
Still half-tempted to throw in the Arya Organic, but if the Stealth's detail is winning me over, it's no competition.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #13,580 of 14,685
I'm currently using an Omega style headphone stand, but I need a few more as the collection is growing. The Omega stand is not quite tall enough, and the cable gets a bit bend at the button if I put the headphones on it with the cable plugged in.
So I'm looking for nice inspiration for a good stand for the HE1000's.

Let me see or hear what you guys are using for your HE1000's :)

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #13,581 of 14,685
I'm currently using an Omega style headphone stand, but I need a few more as the collection is growing. The Omega stand is not quite tall enough, and the cable gets a bit bend at the button if I put the headphones on it with the cable plugged in.
So I'm looking for nice inspiration for a good stand for the HE1000's.

Let me see or hear what you guys are using for your HE1000's :)
I'm using the silverstone headphone stand (in black) with a sock rolled over the top. It works perfectly for hifiman headphones because you can easily rest them on the metal.

They have a silver version that might match the silver of the HEK, but may also clash.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #13,582 of 14,685
Nov 3, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #13,583 of 14,685
Nov 3, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #13,584 of 14,685
Indeed it is, I am doing it right now. The biggest problem will be finding them in stock.
Will look around and see if I can find any., thanks for the suggestion 👍

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #13,585 of 14,685
Has anyone managed to successfully use a tube amp to run the HE1000 stealth. I have been off a deal on the Cayin HA-3A but I am a little sceptical it would drive the HE1000 well enoug. I have an Icon HP8 signature amp which sounds great overall but cannot control the base sufficiently, lacks texture and detail a little bit. Was thinking about getting the Violectric V22 although I do like tube amps, just not convinced the HE1000 is a good match for tubes

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #13,586 of 14,685
Has anyone managed to successfully use a tube amp to run the HE1000 stealth. I have been off a deal on the Cayin HA-3A but I am a little sceptical it would drive the HE1000 well enoug. I have an Icon HP8 signature amp which sounds great overall but cannot control the base sufficiently, lacks texture and detail a little bit. Was thinking about getting the Violectric V22 although I do like tube amps, just not convinced the HE1000 is a good match for tubes
I have a Mcchanson otc tube amp and sparkos Aries. The Mcchanson sounds magical with my hek stealths!!!! Great quality build by an Australian amp builder. He has a huge thread here. It’s new but the Aries is not getting a look in at the moment……

Attachments

• IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #13,587 of 14,685
I have a Mcchanson otc tube amp and sparkos Aries. The Mcchanson sounds magical with my hek stealths!!!! Great quality build by an Australian amp builder. He has a huge thread here. It’s new but the Aries is not getting a look in at the moment……
I have been speaking with Eric this week about his amps, nice to see someone using one, which model is it

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #13,588 of 14,685

I’ve been running the HEK V2 with a hybrid tube amp, the Schiit Lyr+, with great results.

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #13,589 of 14,685
I have been speaking with Eric this week about his amps, nice to see someone using one, which model is it
He’s a character, a great bloke!!! Fantastic communicator and above all a wonderful amp builder!!! It was the MiniSilver UltimatE but I changed face plate to gold so MiniGold UltimatE. Only has for a couple of weeks but cannot stop listening to it on my stealths and JM Audio xtc 2.5 closed backs-both sound amazing on it!!!! I just ordered some tube converters from mrs X on eBay and just literally bought a few tubes from Eric to roll…….I’m told with my 2 different power tube converters and tubes, I will have the sound of 3 different amps in one…..

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #13,590 of 14,685
Got the opportunity to visit a great audio stor today, that let me bring my HEKS with me to compare against the models they sold. My main objective was to listen to the Sennheiser HD800S, as I've heard so much about it and it's fantastic sound stage.
The personal had prepared the Denon AH-D9200 for me to listen to as well, as they wanted me to hear what Demon's flagship model could offer.

Honestly, I did not spend that much time with the Denon. It is built very nicely, but the sound was lacking compared to the HEKS and HD800. It sounded "compressed" and small, and the tonality was a bit off to my ears.
Quite disappointed with these to be honest, at least in terms of sound.

The HD800 is a very exciting headphone IMO. Very well built and extremely comfortable, it made me realize that my HEKS are not as comfortable as I thought they were. The soft pads and light weight made a much larger difference than I thought it would.
The sound was great as well. Tonality was not as good as the HEKS, but much closer than the Denon. Soundstage was, of course, amazing in size. I really liked that a lot, and something I wish the HEKS could offer as well. But from what I had read and heard beforehand, this was expected. I also expected a pretty clear lack of sub bass, but was actually surprised by not really missing much in the bass. I could live with the HD800's bass, especially if it got a small EQ tweak.
I do feel the HD800 came up short, compared to HEKS, when comparing the depth of the sound stage, the separation capabilities and most importantly for me, the ability to "render" the instruments playing in detail in front of me. Not sure if that is what is called "details" or "resolution", but the HEKS was clearly better here.

So while I really liked the soundstage size, built quality, comfort and general feel of the HD800's, I'm not selling my HEKS. They are overall better for my preference.
The HD800 is around $1900USD, and at that price, I won't add them as part of a collection. However, I would like to own a pair at some point, as I'm sure I would enjoy their special capabilities in some cases. So I'll start keeping an eye on the second hand market 😊

Anyway, just me little experience comparing the HEKS to a few other high end models out there.

Edit: Forgot a question: Have any of you stretched your HEK to loosen the clamp on them? I found that a big part of the reason the HD800 was more comfortable was less clamping force, so I want to lose up the HEKS if possible?

Thanks for posting. This is one comparison I wanted to make myself. Good information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back