Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 5, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #13,591 of 14,685
Yes, I have loosened the clamp of my HEK by grabbing the metal arc either side of each of the two bends and pull apart (with your thumbs directly on the bend, and fingers on either side). The clamp wasn't bad to start with, but I just like a looser clamp.

Requires quite a bit of force to make a permanent change. To avoid mistakes, take your time and increase the force gradually until it starts to make a difference.
Do this at your own risk, but I found there was no detrimental impact to the metal arc - it was looked exactly as before, but with a bit less clamping force

PS. I much preferred my (then) HEK V2 over HD800S, when driven by DAVE. I've since got the impression that the HD800S likes to have an amp with plenty of power reserves in order to "wake up".
I have had Organic and it is by far the one with the loosest grip, and I found that it was actually a good idea for it to be so loose, it helped a lot with the comfort, when I got HEKS I immediately felt the more grip strength that it makes, in long sessions it is noticeable and can be annoying, so I also loosened it to make it more like Organic, and it is much better now, more comfortable and seems lighter you feel its presence less, I wouldn't be surprised if by not exerting so much pressure may sound more airy, I got that impression.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #13,592 of 14,685
Headphone stand? I think not. Got this mannequin head at Value Village for $2 durning Halloween a few years back.
As you can see, my HE1000 Stealth is wearing a a wool torque. I tell you, comfort is increased by quite a bit plus it protects the leather. Win win!

IMG_2148.jpg

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #13,593 of 14,685
Headphone stand? I think not. Got this mannequin head at Value Village for $2 durning Halloween a few years back.
As you can see, my HE1000 Stealth is wearing a a wool torque. I tell you, comfort is increased by quite a bit plus it protects the leather. Win win!

IMG_2148.jpg
I fear that would wear down the pads quicker, and foam particles could rub off and make their way into the drivers.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #13,594 of 14,685
I fear that would wear down the pads quicker, and foam particles could rub off and make their way into the drivers.

The foam is hard and smooth, it doesn't. Had many, including my HD 600 on this head for years without any issue. The only thing I did notice was when I had my AKG 340 with aftermarket replacement pads on it the dye from the pads ever so slightly seeped into the texture of the foam, but that was due to them siting un-used for months and the pads themselves were not exactly Brainwavz or Dekoni.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #13,596 of 14,685
The foam is hard and smooth, it doesn't. Had many, including my HD 600 on this head for years without any issue. The only thing I did notice was when I had my AKG 340 with aftermarket replacement pads on it the dye from the pads ever so slightly seeped into the texture of the foam, but that was due to them siting un-used for months and the pads themselves were not exactly Brainwavz or Dekoni.
Planers have magnetic force many times greater then an HD-600. So any such headphones kept in the open is going to draw cooking fumes, small magnetic particles - anything that has a charge. I advise everyone to keep their headphones in the OG box, or some other means that keeps them from exposure when not in use. If air tight better use something that absorbs moisture in with it. The fabric on both sides of the driver keeps large items from getting to the mylar, but, useless against fumes.

As for your "head" I do think you are compressing your pads over time.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #13,597 of 14,685
Nov 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #13,598 of 14,685
When it comes to EQ, less is usually more. Having 5 filters accomplish 99% of what 10 or more filters do is always preferable.
Literally came in to reply "less is more" -- took the words out of my mouth :beerchug: :beerchug:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #13,599 of 14,685
Nov 11, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #13,601 of 14,685
Has anyone here bought their Hifimans off of AliExpress? Their 11/11 sale is currently ongoing but I wonder how good of an idea it would be to order from sellers on there. I was particularly looking at this listing for the HE1000v2. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Not sure what country you're in - Im in Oz. Better prices for me on Ebay and through Hifiman direct (only slightly). I actually paid a little more for my HEK Stealths and bought from Addicted To Audio in Melbourne but I have no hesitation buying from Ebay, ALiExpres, Amazon etc.
I've ordered cables and cheaper products through AliExpress. I ordered a Topping amp a little while back (needed a portable unit to take a way with me) and it got sent to wrong address in another state. Never got it and was a slow process but did eventually get full refund. AliExpree are very good like that IMO (but seller was a pain in the arse!!!).

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #13,602 of 14,685
Not sure what country you're in - Im in Oz. Better prices for me on Ebay and through Hifiman direct (only slightly). I actually paid a little more for my HEK Stealths and bought from Addicted To Audio in Melbourne but I have no hesitation buying from Ebay, ALiExpres, Amazon etc.
I've ordered cables and cheaper products through AliExpress. I ordered a Topping amp a little while back (needed a portable unit to take a way with me) and it got sent to wrong address in another state. Never got it and was a slow process but did eventually get full refund. AliExpree are very good like that IMO (but seller was a pain in the arse!!!).
I'm in the US, the cheapest option for HEKv2 in the US is from Amazon at $1540 including taxes. On AliExpress, I'm able to buy for $1296 including taxes (also have another $75 of cashback I can apply on top of it).

Just a bit worried about counterfeits or the possibility that they ship a Stealth version over instead of the OG v2. Amazon will take free returns and will probably deliver by next week, AliExpress will probably take till December to arrive and returns might be a nightmare. Just wondering if it's worth the mental stress to get from AliExpress; savings would be over $300 if I ordered from them.

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #13,603 of 14,685
Has anyone here bought their Hifimans off of AliExpress? Their 11/11 sale is currently ongoing but I wonder how good of an idea it would be to order from sellers on there. I was particularly looking at this listing for the HE1000v2. Any insight would be much appreciated.
I haven't purchased any Hifiman products from Aliexpress, but purchased lots of other stuffs from there like my Topping A90D / D90, never had a issue so far, but I still think return can be a hassle, if you do purchase please check seller rating / reviews and for how long he is selling, the platform itself is quite reliable but seller service can differ.

P.S. I purchased my HE1000 V2 from headamp.com last year, I got it for $1599 when it was retailing for $1999, maybe you can drop a message to their customer support if they can get you one, they are quite helpful and are open to some bargaining.

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #13,604 of 14,685
I'm in the US, the cheapest option for HEKv2 in the US is from Amazon at $1540 including taxes. On AliExpress, I'm able to buy for $1296 including taxes (also have another $75 of cashback I can apply on top of it).

Just a bit worried about counterfeits or the possibility that they ship a Stealth version over instead of the OG v2. Amazon will take free returns and will probably deliver by next week, AliExpress will probably take till December to arrive and returns might be a nightmare. Just wondering if it's worth the mental stress to get from AliExpress; savings would be over $300 if I ordered from them.
Yes $300 USD (about $500 AUD) is a big deal.

Check out Underwood in USA. https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/hifiman
Stealths are $1399 and V2 says $1999 but I'm sure I saw them recently for $1399 too. They say to call for best price. SE are also $1999 but says call for best price. I reckon you'd get $1399 or maybe even lower for the V2 - I would definitely call them!

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #13,605 of 14,685

It's a long shot but you could try calling or emailing Hifiman USA customer service and ask them for a price match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back