Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 30, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #13,531 of 14,685
I am using a SP3000 with a Mass Kobo 475 and the sound is superb. I am saying if you are not invested in a desktop setup and have a good DAP, this is an excellent combo.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #13,533 of 14,685
Removed, questions already brought up.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #13,534 of 14,685
I do not find the V2 (OG) bright, but it is certainly sibilant in some recordings (both male and female vocal), and those are mostly older (pre 2000) poorly mastered/mixed recordings.
So, it's reflecting whats on the recording?

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #13,535 of 14,685
It is so great to sit here, feeling smug, because my HE 1000s were the originals. I’ve never looked at the V2, nor the Stealth, nor the SE, nor anything else. I love them in particular with the HiFiMAN EF-6 amplifier, originally intended for their hard -to-drive HE-6.

1696092879985.jpeg
I've heard all 4 versions. Considered buying the v2 and more so now the Stealth - never the "v1" or "v3". Being happy with a piece of equipment is a good thing, but, it's a choice. Not sure how smugness is involved.

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #13,536 of 14,685
So, it's reflecting whats on the recording?
I read shomewhere don't recall exactly where, the He1000 V2 can accentuate some consonent sounds bit more, and I myself hear that from time to time in some older recording (older than 10 years or so), I haven't heard this complaint with either the HekSE or Hek Stealth from all the impressions I have read so far, maybe it is not a fault of the V2, it can be the newer stealth models are tuned to actively handle those frequencies better, I will be getting the SE soon so will know if this will be the case.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #13,537 of 14,685
I still find the V2 overly bright but from what I’ve read the stealth is brighter. Do you EQ? I started EQing and am getting a really good sound out of them.
Yeah, these are really easy to EQ! While they are elevated in the treble, they are not too peaky.

The Dekoni elite hybrid pads also do a great job at keep the same sound signature while just dropping the ear gain and up by around 3db. They fill in the 2k dip a bit as well. I am still going back and forth between them and the stock pads.

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #13,538 of 14,685
Oppsiem, thanks for correcting, I was asking @Ficcion2
The tubes are RCA 6V6GT and EC882 with I believe the stock RCA rectifier. I acquired the amp and tubes through a trade but I believe the original owner dropped $500 for the matching set.

I don't know jack about tubes but no complaints here!

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #13,539 of 14,685
I do think the model names and different editions of the headphones can be confusing.
I know mine are the original HEKs so thats ok for me, but to try and place them in the herirarchy is quite difficult.
An example is I am probably going to sell mine soon as been considering this for a while as they just dont get used any more. So I looked on EBay and an original is up for sale for £1300. I thought wow thats more than I was expecting. After a little more research I see I can buy a brand new pair of HEK Stealth for £1399.....so no way am I getting anywhere near that money for them. I literally have no idea what to price them at :relaxed: :relaxed:

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #13,540 of 14,685
@trellus Ah ok, In any case, Hifiman is not marking the headphone as Stealth somewhere and that can be confusing since it will only indicate HE1000, and you can only see the driver to differentiate it. I think they should have included some identifier.
Oh, indeed, I wish there was a far more “official” way to tell apart different versions of their headphones on the headphones themselves. 😅

I’m considering later picking up an HE-1000 Stealth to complement my HE-1000 V2, and I’m already annoyed about how to easily tell them apart from each other once unboxed without resorting to tricks looking at magnets or such. 😂

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #13,542 of 14,685
I read shomewhere don't recall exactly where, the He1000 V2 can accentuate some consonent sounds bit more, and I myself hear that from time to time in some older recording (older than 10 years or so), I haven't heard this complaint with either the HekSE or Hek Stealth from all the impressions I have read so far, maybe it is not a fault of the V2, it can be the newer stealth models are tuned to actively handle those frequencies better, I will be getting the SE soon so will know if this will be the case.
I hadn't noticed that, but that's not to say it might not be true. I use a Gumby DAC, which might suppress that vs other types.

The v2 struck me in order::

* its massive stage size (and the fact it doesn't shrink down well for small scale works)
* the treble overall was softer and closer to neutral than the v1 or SE.
* the ongoing problem of the long cups not having bass impact equal to the HE-6 SE. The Susvara is the best at that followed by the Stealth.

If the v2 was offered at $1399 throughout its run, I have no doubt I would have bought one a few years ago. The Stealth has notably better bass impact and deep reach, and a smaller (but still a bit too big soundstage), and if one applies PEQ to lower 5.5-7k, and smaller notches at 3-3.5k and 9k it's treble becomes even more in balance to the overall timbre than the v2 because of the added impact and heft below 200 Hz of the Stealth.

Ever since the moment I put the Stealh on, I have it as the best can dollar for dollar that HFM has ever produced, and I haven't changed that in the time since. It's a classic. And yes it's better (for me) than the legendary HE-6 6 screw (outside of the fiendishly great bass impact) and the other HEK and HEX, 500, etc. The Susvara outpoints it - but requires better ancillary equipment to shine. A new Susvara is coming, and in a year or two used Susvaras may be down to $2k or under and then it might be preferable - but by then used Stealths might be going for $850, and again be the top choice.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #13,543 of 14,685
I’m already annoyed about how to easily tell them apart from each other once unboxed without resorting to tricks looking at magnets or such. 😂
If your HE1000V2 is older (like mine) the headphone cable termination will be 2.5mm -- and being the HE1000 Stealth is a new production the headphone cable termination will be 3.5mm.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #13,544 of 14,685
If your HE1000V2 is older (like mine) the headphone cable termination will be 2.5mm -- and being the HE1000 Stealth is a new production the headphone cable termination will be 3.5mm.
To be clear though, there are V2s with the 3.5mm termination.

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #13,545 of 14,685
I've been playing around with EQ for the HE1000 Stealth and I think I found a pretty simple EQ that I really enjoy. It adds a decent amount of low end without getting boomy, adds some thickness to male vocals that can sometimes sound thin, and retains the soundstage/clarity/sparkly highs that make the HE1000 series special. Let me know what you think if you try it out:

Preamp: -3.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 32 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 1.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 64 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.41
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.41
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1.41

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back