Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,171 of 14,653
tube rolling is gonna be fun with the ef 1000 amp. there is almost an endless choice of 6922 tubes. but those little fellas can be darn expensive. I have a pair of 1956 pinched waist mullards that were not even able to save a schiit lyr. now I am trying to imagine 6 of those tubes in the ef 1000. that also equates to 1800 bucks for 6 tubes at brent jesse, that is if he is able to find that many... if someone is to roll tubes with the ef 1000, I suggest the EAt cool valve ecc88. with these tubes you d'ont have to worry, they come brand new made in Europe and they sound fantastic. d'ont waist your time with the new genalex golden lion. they are not very impressive tubes. and they are surprisingly expensive. I hope there is gonna be a thread in the future for the ef 1000 amp. I like this amp. it has everything I like. it will drive my kef ls50 perfectly.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,172 of 14,653
  tube rolling is gonna be fun with the ef 1000 amp. there is almost an endless choice of 6922 tubes. but those little fellas can be darn expensive. I have a pair of 1956 pinched waist mullards that were not even able to save a schiit lyr. now I am trying to imagine 6 of those tubes in the ef 1000. that also equates to 1800 bucks for 6 tubes at brent jesse, that is if he is able to find that many... if someone is to roll tubes with the ef 1000, I suggest the EAt cool valve ecc88. with these tubes you d'ont have to worry, they come brand new made in Europe and they sound fantastic. d'ont waist your time with the new genalex golden lion. they are not very impressive tubes. and they are surprisingly expensive. I hope there is gonna be a thread in the future for the ef 1000 amp. I like this amp. it has everything I like. it will drive my kef ls50 perfectly.

The pinched waste or noted for becoming microphonic and not something I would pursue. As you say there are many in the 6DJ8 family. I have around 200 NOS of all types, would be fun. 

------------

On the 1000, looking forward to production and all the possibilities it will bring to enjoy music. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,173 of 14,653

The pinched waste or noted for becoming microphonic and not something I would pursue. As you say there are many in the 6DJ8 family. I have around 200 NOS of all types, would be fun. 

------------

On the 1000, looking forward to production and all the possibilities it will bring to enjoy music. 

I agree. if I had knew, I would have never bought those tubes. they have incredible sound. the best I ever heard. but they did develop microphonics and I dropped one on the floor and it popped. 300 bucks a pop.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,176 of 14,653
If anyone has posted impressions that they would like me to link to, please let me know!

Sorry for the late response, but here are my impressions after hearing them at CES: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/225#post_11197631

And here are my comparisons of the HE-1000 to the Abyss after hearing both of them at CES: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/420#post_11208746

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,177 of 14,653
I think the he-1000 look great, and as a "statement" product, they really live up to expectations from an aesthetic styling point of view.

The amplifier for the he-1000 does not though, based off photos and IMO. It's just two drab looking blocks and when compared to say the Sennheiser Orpheus's amplifiers v form and styling, the he-1000 amplifier kind of falls short in the styling dept. for me and it would have been great to have seen some of the he-1000 styling cues follow onto the amplifier to marry these two products as side by side style continuity statements that compliment each other not only to the ear but also to the eye.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,178 of 14,653
I think the he-1000 look great, and as a "statement" product, they really live up to expectations from an aesthetic styling point of view.

The amplifier for the he-1000 does not though, based off photos and IMO. It's just two drab looking blocks and when compared to say the Sennheiser Orpheus's amplifiers v form and styling, the he-1000 amplifier kind of falls short in the styling dept. for me and it would have been great to have seen some of the he-1000 styling cues follow onto the amplifier to marry these two products as side by side style continuity statements that compliment each other not only to the ear but also to the eye.

Agree: it is a shame to "hide" tubes inside a case !

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #1,179 of 14,653
Agree: it is a shame to "hide" tubes inside a case !

Yes, exactly, I've seen photos of tube amps turned on and glowing and they look really pretty tbh, so why would anyone like to have them tucked away in a big block case?

It just makes no sense to me but maybe HiFiMan may release another version with the tubes on show, plus I've also read members referring to "rolling" tubes which I guess having direct access to do this is a must also.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #1,180 of 14,653
Yes, exactly, I've seen photos of tube amps turned on and glowing and they look really pretty tbh, so why would anyone like to have them tucked away in a big block case?

It just makes no sense to me but maybe HiFiMan may release another version with the tubes on show, plus I've also read members referring to "rolling" tubes which I guess having direct access to do this is a must also.

yes, this is why I will stay with my Eddie Curent 445 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,182 of 14,653

Typically, I'd want to know the design of an amp before looking into tubing it; cascoded, cascaded--etc. from what I have on hand, ecc288s would be first tubes that the signals see. These are remarkably quiet. In a multi tube design, each stage generally wants to see something in a device, and just putting the same tube everywhere is not necessarily optimum.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,183 of 14,653
omg wow!

You have totally illustrated my point!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I honestly think your tubes amplifier just look so great, I really think hifiman have missed out on this really great look tbth.

And tube Amps are also available  for portable set-up: here my 2 babies from Analog Square paper  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back