Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,156 of 14,653
  I understand why you say that. Don't make me wrong, for years I still keep the two amps, but I bought it because of the Schiit hype in the threat and was a little disappointed by their performance (back in that time, Lyr was top of the line product). I noticed that they have made more expansive products later but I would rather try some British brands or even new manufactures like Audio-GD. Maybe I will come back and buy a Schiit again if I don't like other products, who knows? It's good that you are happy with them, and it saves you a lot on upgrading "higher end" stuff man.
I am considering the HE-1000 because of all the positive feedback from Head-fiers, but after the experience with Schiit product I will listen to everything by myself before pulling the trigger.

No worries, I definitely understand. With the way Head-Fi tends to go, if something is even kind of good it always seems to end up with a massive hype thread which definitely makes it hard to get any feel for how good something is without hearing it yourself.

Unfortunately, regardless of how good the HE1000 is I really doubt I'll ever get one unless all the price speculation turns out to be wrong.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,157 of 14,653
  I understand why you say that. Don't make me wrong, for years I still keep the two amps, but I bought it because of the Schiit hype in the threat and was a little disappointed by their performance (back in that time, Lyr was top of the line product). I noticed that they have made more expansive products later but I would rather try some British brands or even new manufactures like Audio-GD. Maybe I will come back and buy a Schiit again if I don't like other products, who knows? It's good that you are happy with them, and it saves you a lot on upgrading "higher end" stuff man.
I am considering the HE-1000 because of all the positive feedback from Head-fiers, but after the experience with Schiit product I will listen to everything by myself before pulling the trigger.

what did you dislike about the lyr & what amps do you think perform better?

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,158 of 14,653
I honestly think the he1000 looks totally great but did you notice there is no price mentioned on the link site whatsoever?

I am beginning to wonder if it will turn out to be expensive after all. The HE-1000 looks like two drivers hanging in air inside a broken bird cage with a headband. Less is more....expensive?.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,159 of 14,653
  what did you dislike about the lyr & what amps do you think perform better?

As other described, the noise as well as the overall performance. Even with some nice tubes I can't really tell a huge difference between the Asgard and Lyr (trust me, the money I spent on tubes is far more than the price tag of the two).
I had some good experience with Marantz product so I am thinking getting the new HD-DAC1. I had looked at some other products at my local dealer but I don't really remember their names (I wasn't considered buying something that nice until now). This year if I have a chance I will try the Audio-GD mater 8 in China to see how much I like it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,160 of 14,653

No worries, I definitely understand. With the way Head-Fi tends to go, if something is even kind of good it always seems to end up with a massive hype thread which definitely makes it hard to get any feel for how good something is without hearing it yourself.

Unfortunately, regardless of how good the HE1000 is I really doubt I'll ever get one unless all the price speculation turns out to be wrong.

yeah, price is a main concern for a student like me.
Let's wait and see.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #1,161 of 14,653
If anyone has posted impressions that they would like me to link to, please let me know!

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,162 of 14,653
If anyone has posted impressions that they would like me to link to, please let me know!

here are my impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/751421/new-york-mini-meet-hifiman-he-1000-impressions-thread#post_11238316

that whole thread is full of head-fier impressions :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,163 of 14,653
  here are my impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/751421/new-york-mini-meet-hifiman-he-1000-impressions-thread#post_11238316

that whole thread is full of head-fier impressions :)

Your impressions are already in the original post :)

Just that someone asked, and since I'm the only one who can update the original post, so I thought I'd do it.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,164 of 14,653
  Your impressions are already in the original post :)

Just that someone asked, and since I'm the only one who can update the original post, so I thought I'd do it.

ahhh!! woww. i didn't realize that was you were asking about. haven't checked the first post in ages. thought you were just looking to read impressions.

pretty cool to have that compilation! good work. feel honored to be added in there heh.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,165 of 14,653

maybe my lyr was defective.  maybe ground loops.  the tubes were fine (tried different ones, including the holy grails of 6922s, such as siemens cca, amperex 6922s, Telefunken 6922s, Siemens 7308s, and the noise continued).  very disappointed with it.  my th900s sounded like crap.  so did every other headphone I threw its way.  Let college students and their ilk wallow in Schiitt...not me.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,166 of 14,653
Guys, please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss Schiit's products, please do so in the appropriate thread for them.

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,167 of 14,653
  Guys, please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss Schiit's products, please do so in the appropriate thread for them.

Thanks.

Sorry 'bout the digression.  If I do buy the HE1000s (I'm quite tempted), I'll have the Ray Samuels Darkstar and the Aurilic Taurus (ordered it last week) waiting for them with bated breath.  If it's power the HE1000s want, it's power the Taurus (and especially the Darkstar) will provide.  The problem would be if the good doctor decides to sell the headphones and their new flagship amp as a package...if that ends up happening, it's time to say goodbye to the bad guy (i.e., to quote Yogi Berra, head-fiers will be "staying away in droves" as well).

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,168 of 14,653
  Sorry 'bout the digression.  If I do buy the HE1000s (I'm quite tempted), I'll have the Ray Samuels Darkstar and the Aurilic Taurus (ordered it last week) waiting for them with bated breath.  If it's power the HE1000s want, it's power the Taurus (and especially the Darkstar) will provide.  The problem would be if the good doctor decides to sell the headphones and their new flagship amp as a package...if that ends up happening, it's time to say goodbye to the bad guy (i.e., to quote Yogi Berra, head-fiers will be "staying away in droves" as well).

the good doctor confirmed that the he1000 will be sold individually as well as in a combo package with their new amp during the 2nd day of the nyc mini-meet.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,169 of 14,653

+1. Have zero interest in the EF-1000. If it's a package only I'm out.

I would think that unlikely however. It would be a bad selling point - many folks already have a headphone amp (or several headphone amps) and don't need another.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,170 of 14,653

+1. Have zero interest in the EF-1000. If it's a package only I'm out.

I would think that unlikely however. It would be a bad selling point - many folks already have a headphone amp (or several headphone amps) and don't need another.

Indeed, the high-end headphone amps scene is a heck of a lot more saturated than headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back