Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #11,282 of 14,805
Want some real tube analog s**t for your Hifiman?
Check this out

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...opens-cohearent-recording-aka-hackensack-west

This is a 24-bit 176khz wave file.
I have already downloaded it, but not yet listened to it. I am very curious.

https://www.analogplanet.com/images/012022EXCERPT.wav

Agreed, the Kirsten Edkins "Shape & Sound" LP is an excellent recording (I'm also a sax and drum player). I don't quite like the limitation of Kevin's mixer with just hard-panned left, right, or center, but the fidelity, dynamics, and realism are there for sure.

I would also highly recommend recordings from the Mappleshade Records label by the brilliant Pierre Sprey, who was also largely responsible for the U.S. Air Force's F-16 fighter and A-10 Warthog! The recordings were created with all of the musicians live in the room around a single, custom Blumlein stereo ribbon microphone ("mixed" only by the placement and distance of the musicians in relation to the stereo microphone) direct to a custom 2-track analog R2R tape machine. Unfortunately, their catalog is limited, but a few of the jazz genre albums that I would recommend are:

A La Carte Brass & Percussion - Boogeyin'! Swamprock, Salsa, & 'Trane
Norris Turney Quartet - Big, Sweet N' Blue
Clifford Jordan Quartet - Live at Ethell's
Thurman Green - Dance of the Night Creatures

YMMV

https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Music_c_11.html

Pierre Sprey/Mappleshade Records:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/c8/f7/70c8f7ae00f771be667bbe38db672694.jpg
https://www.tnt-audio.com/jpg/mapleshade.jpg

Modified 2-track Analog Reel-to-Reel Tape Machine in Mappleshade's Mansion Studio:
https://www.mapleshadestore.com/assets/images/e50cc15fd4f537e7b842e3cb35b6fcc3_lg.jpg

Homage to Pierre Sprey who we lost in 2021:
https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/0...t-and-intellectual-integrity-of-pierre-sprey/

Also check out these FREE (but please Donate) Binaural Download files recorded by Head-Fi member @immersifi

Cowboy Junkies Live at The Ark on 2009-10-05, Free Binaural FLAC Download by Engineer Mark A. Jay

https://archive.org/details/cj2009-10-05.ku100_at37

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #11,283 of 14,805
What I would definitely raise at this point - and again, it goes back a little earlier to some discussions... surprisingly, it won't be my SA-1 I part with, but rather my Ares II. There is something about the Ares overly smoothing the sound and transients that the HE1000 is able to reveal that my other headphones couldn't. It is still pleasant... but you can just tell the HE1000 is capable of more and more.

I'm looking now a lot at the Gustard A26 or similar options - while I still would like the Mjolnir 3 come June, I reckon I can slot in something like that and get more bang for buck.

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #11,285 of 14,805
As much as I like my LCD-X21 the HE1000v2 will show the slight weakness of the LCD-X21... and the LCD-X21 is no slouch... its just not at the level of the HE1000V2
Neither is HE6SE, was on HE6SEv2 diet for a few weeks, then switched back to HE1000v2 and "Oh, boy", different class altogether, like taking ice cold shower of revelation. :scream:

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #11,286 of 14,805
Third day with he1000v2 stealth ; I don't know how much burning in they need.

I am already going through my audio library and anyday look forward to the time of the day I will reach for them and listen , i am really surprised on how many things they do well other then discovering new nuances and details in music here and there.

Level of detail is the best i have heard . They sound *very slightly* tilted towards being mids/bright forward , but are never fatiguing.
I am very sensitive to highs and sibilance , and many headphones expose too much highs in a way or another or a pitch or sibilance or glare or grain etc to me , but I noticed that even adding highs on eq it does not disturb me so much ( like with other cans happens ) , not sure I ve ever heard better highs .

Bass is getting better with time , i dont know if it is burning in of headphones or the fitting of brain and ears to them; it can be equalized down to the lowest lows , very linear and also very nuanced, it reaches really low

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #11,287 of 14,805
@boodi sounds like you just discovered that you actually ARE a fan of airy treble (huh. who'da thunk it), but have a critical ear to that range so it has to be perfect.
I always thought I hated treble, but that isnt true. I just hate BAD treble; with a passion.
It sounds amazing on the right gear.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #11,288 of 14,805
Third day with he1000v2 stealth ; I don't know how much burning in they need.

I am already going through my audio library and anyday look forward to the time of the day I will reach for them and listen , i am really surprised on how many things they do well other then discovering new nuances and details in music here and there.

Level of detail is the best i have heard . They sound *very slightly* tilted towards being mids/bright forward , but are never fatiguing.
I am very sensitive to highs and sibilance , and many headphones expose too much highs in a way or another or a pitch or sibilance or glare or grain etc to me , but I noticed that even adding highs on eq it does not disturb me so much ( like with other cans happens ) , not sure I ve ever heard better highs .

Bass is getting better with time , i dont know if it is burning in of headphones or the fitting of brain and ears to them; it can be equalized down to the lowest lows , very linear and also very nuanced, it reaches really low
I have mine a few weeks & they do change overtime, not major changes, the table gets a bit smoother. the treble is very good on these but will highlight bad recordings a bit, though I don't find it harsh, just revealing of the quality of the recording. The bass tightens up a little & can go deep when it's supposed too. I find very easy to pick out bass lines on these. I think they are pretty much here to stay for a long time, pretty much got everything I am looking for.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #11,290 of 14,805
I had both, but will keep it short. Soundstage is similar, beyond that the HE-1000 V2 Stealth (also non Stealth)
plays in a different league.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #11,291 of 14,805
I am quite impressed so far
@boodi sounds like you just discovered that you actually ARE a fan of airy treble (huh. who'da thunk it), but have a critical ear to that range so it has to be perfect.
I always thought I hated treble, but that isnt true. I just hate BAD treble; with a passion.
It sounds amazing on the right gear.
more of a longtime basshead nerd with golden ears , but,,hell , yeah , never heard highs done so polite yet slightly upfront and ultra detailed
sure it is some achievement

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #11,293 of 14,805
I have mine a few weeks & they do change overtime, not major changes, the table gets a bit smoother. the treble is very good on these but will highlight bad recordings a bit, though I don't find it harsh, just revealing of the quality of the recording. The bass tightens up a little & can go deep when it's supposed too. I find very easy to pick out bass lines on these. I think they are pretty much here to stay for a long time, pretty much got everything I am looking for.
i concurr bass is textured well defined and very easy to separate from drums or other partitures , while I hear the sub bass section (is there a little bump there? ) I also seem to hear a slightly recessed mid bass ( or it lacks harmonics ) not a bad thing just noticing this Vs my other headphones and habits ;

I wait for the smoothing out of the rest , sure they are on the airy and spacey side of stage reproduction ( not on the liquid and smooth ), but they also offer some euphony in across mids and highs while mantintaining a strickingly balance and separation among parts - talk about character ; which is pleasing

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #11,294 of 14,805
Well i just got a parcel from Hifiman. Surprise🤔 it's not the HE1000v2 that i've ordered but the new Stealth version...
Well, what can i say ? After a few minutes of 🎶🎶🎶 i'm very very Happy. Straight from the box : punchy low end, beautiful tonality, tons of details while keeping musicality, ...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #11,295 of 14,805

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back