Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #11,236 of 14,709
Possibly, or the Stealth meets your preferences better.

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #11,238 of 14,709
You want a airy and diffuse sound:
take the V2.

You want a direct, precise sound, with a lot of impact and punchy bass:
take the V2 Stealth.
it's a far shot because I must tell by memory .. but the v2 stealth kind of seem more precise more reference , that's one of the things that I noted instantly and strikes me the most , I did not have this impression with regular v2 .

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #11,239 of 14,709
What amp can you guys recommend for V2?
i am not asking for new amps, but for amps, you are hearing for several months with V2 and still using.
I am currently using Burson Soloist 3XP fed from Holo Spring 3KTE with my Stealths, works well. Occasionally a little bright in the upper mids I feel, although this seems to have improved slightly with more hours on the Stealth. I am mighty impressed with the headphones & keen to try some different amps at some point, perhaps a tube amp suitable for low impedance phones, feel there could be even more to be found in these headphones yet. The Holo Bliss sound interesting apart from the price unfortunately, funds a bit tight currently. Any feedback on amp experiences is most welcome. Happy listening to all new Stealth owners, hope you are enjoying them as much as myself.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #11,240 of 14,709
I am currently using Burson Soloist 3XP fed from Holo Spring 3KTE with my Stealths, works well. Occasionally a little bright in the upper mids I feel, although this seems to have improved slightly with more hours on the Stealth. I am mighty impressed with the headphones & keen to try some different amps at some point, perhaps a tube amp suitable for low impedance phones, feel there could be even more to be found in these headphones yet. The Holo Bliss sound interesting apart from the price unfortunately, funds a bit tight currently. Any feedback on amp experiences is most welcome. Happy listening to all new Stealth owners, hope you are enjoying them as much as myself.
If the Burson and the HEK sounds slightly bright you can simply swap out the opamp with the standard vs the vivid.. it will tame the HEK just slightly... you only need 2 (left/right) and it takes hardly anytime or money ...

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #11,241 of 14,709
it's a far shot because I must tell by memory .. but the v2 stealth kind of seem more precise more reference , that's one of the things that I noted instantly and strikes me the most , I did not have this impression with regular v2 .
I love the V2 non Stealth.
But the Stealth is a clear upgrade for me.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #11,242 of 14,709
is the stock cable any good ?
It is soft, and pleasant.
But with 3m much too long.
I build cables myself out of passion, but I look at this from the sober point of view as an electronics engineer: cables should be kept as short as possible. That is my opinion.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #11,243 of 14,709
If the Burson and the HEK sounds slightly bright you can simply swap out the opamp with the standard vs the vivid.. it will tame the HEK just slightly... you only need 2 (left/right) and it takes hardly anytime or money ...
Yes, this is a very valid point & one I am considering, as you say very quick & easy to do. also, the dealer I got the Stealths from as also recommended the Cayin HA-3, he reckons it is a combo that punches above it's price point. If I do get to try this I will post my impressions. I should point out that I do not find the Stealth overly bright, just marginally on occasions & often just as much to do with recording as anything else.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #11,244 of 14,709
Yeah... the hype is real. I'll write up in a minute but I'd actually say this doesn't even slam that much weaker than my Clears, at least when running the SA-1 in high gain.

The Arya V2s I had briefly must surely have been messed up. But I am literally 0 hours in and I have no sibilance, no over-brightness, or shoutiness tons of bass and dynamics. Soundstage I feel is hard to judge because I actually think it's being quite affected by my R2R stack (I'm not getting absolute angel kisses, but I am getting a really clear sense of imaging).

But indeed... this is a tremendous experience. Stock cable is pretty fine too.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #11,245 of 14,709
Also the outstanding transparence and balance struck me immediately at first listen . After 3 4 hours burn in I would say that barring any placebo effect , my ears notice that bass reverberation deepness measures/size ( not big but ..measured....) and harmonics improved dramatically. While I understand they are improving with burn-in I do not find an evident fault in the presentation already. Rare if I recall other cans' first impression . Very transparent yet balanced and painting dynamics without effort

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #11,246 of 14,709
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #11,247 of 14,709
What amp can you guys recommend for V2?
i am not asking for new amps, but for amps, you are hearing for several months with V2 and still using.
i enjoyed with v280.
And a very versatile amp to boot

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #11,248 of 14,709
I use an optimized Haarmann curve, and fluctuate between +3 dB and approx. + 6 dB depending on the music style.

20230202_142550.gif

With your numbers game of +10, or + 20 dB you must not forget that you must reduce the preamp accordingly, otherwise you distort the signal. Probably a Lyr+ at maximum power would be enough to damage the drivers.

I think at max powers with most modern capable amps, our ears would be the first to blow out before the headphone drivers get totalled :D

I don't use any targets while EQing on any of my headphones, just a bass shelf here and a drop in treble spike there and yes with drop in preamp consistent with raise in amping.

And neither do I go overboard upto +10 or +20dB boosts.

For my HE1000V2, I usually keep between +2.5dB and +7dB depending upon music.

Why I asked about bass shelf is so as to see whether I was doing something wrong because the right side of my HE1000 V2 went dead.

My chain, Foobar - D1SE - Soloist 3XP with Supercharger on medium gain - HE1000 V2

With a bass shelf of about +5dB, was listening to some EDM tracks, raised volume to about 85-90 for some head banging and the right side went silent. Left side played fine but no sound from the right side.

So now I have a HE1000 V2 with a dead right side.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #11,249 of 14,709
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #11,250 of 14,709
Soloist?
did you have plugged in your headphone before or after powering on the amp?

https://forum.headphones.com/t/burs...ass-a-headphone-pre-amplifier/9115/141?page=8

I had an idea of this issue with the Soloist but don't think this is the case here.

I was already listening to music when I raised the volume and the right side went silent.

The song -

The only thing that changed was the player and the EQ software From Foobar with Graphic Equalizer plugin to Spotify with Equalizer APO.

The headphones were playing music fine at about 80 vol on medium gain via foobar with about 5dB bass shelf, shifted to Spotify with APO at about 7.5dB shelf and slowly raised the volume to about 90 when the right side went dead. Left sounded ok.

Strangely though, I called it a night and plugged in the headphones next evening and it was somehow back to life. The right was sounding surprisingly ok but the moment I raised the volume it again went silent.

Plugged out and plugged in again after a few hours and this same thing repeated.

And the next day it was really dead. No sound from it what so ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back