Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 24, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #10,126 of 14,653
Anyone try these pads:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lambskin-Cu...ition-X-V2-EDX-ANANDA-Headphones/133500017164
I just got HE1000v1's and the pads are itchy as hell. Might take the plunge.

Those pads are very well priced, but I see 2 issues:

1. Judging from the photos, they don't appear to have a dust mesh built in, which means that V1 and V2 owners will have no dust protection for the drivers.
2. The statement below means that you have to somehow take off (unglue?) the plastic clips section from your old pads and connect (glue?) them to the new pads. If you know how to do this then fine (the selller can be contacted to clarify these points). Otherwise, the V2 pads would be a better, albeit costlier, solution for your V1's.

"The pads not include the plastic clips,you need to get off the old clips from old pads,and set it on new pads."

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #10,127 of 14,653
Those pads are very well priced, but I see 2 issues:

1. Judging from the photos, they don't appear to have a dust mesh built in, which means that V1 and V2 owners will have no dust protection for the drivers.
2. The statement below means that you have to somehow take off (unglue?) the plastic clips section from your old pads and connect (glue?) them to the new pads. If you know how to do this then fine (the selller can be contacted to clarify these points). Otherwise, the V2 pads would be a better, albeit costlier, solution for your V1's.

"The pads not include the plastic clips,you need to get off the old clips from old pads,and set it on new pads."
I had thought that the clip system on the HE1000 was similar to how its done on the old round style? If so then #2 isn't really a problem.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #10,128 of 14,653
I had thought that the clip system on the HE1000 was similar to how its done on the old round style? If so then #2 isn't really a problem.
I don't know about the old round style, but on both my HEK V2 and SE pads the outer faux leather skin appears to be glued all the way around the plastic clip frame. Based on that, I don't see how the new pads could be used without tearing off the plastic frames from the old pads and re-gluing them onto the new pads, which I'm sure is doable, but potentially messy. But if I've missed something and the supplier can explain how it would easily work, then fine.

The new pads do look good value compared to hifiman's, so it's worth further investigation for anyone looking for replacement pads. They will also sound different, but we won't know in what way until someone tries them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #10,129 of 14,653
I don't know about the old round style, but on both my HEK V2 and SE pads the outer faux leather skin appears to be glued all the way around the plastic clip frame. Based on that, I don't see how the new pads could used without tearing off the plastic frames from the old pads and re-gluing them onto the new pads, which I'm sure is doable, but potentially messy. But if I've missed something and the supplier can explain how it would easily work, then fine.

The new pads do look good value compared to hifiman's, so it's worth further investigation for anyone looking for replacement pads. They will also sound different, but we won't know in what way until someone tries them.

Looked an hour ago and they are glued on; that kind of explains why dekoni and other companies don't have HEK pads, Hifiman must not want to sell them the retention rings for the pads.
I just ordered a pair of V2 pads from a third party seller that was a bit, but not much cheaper.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #10,130 of 14,653
Looked an hour ago and they are glued on; that kind of explains why dekoni and other companies don't have HEK pads, Hifiman must not want to sell them the retention rings for the pads.
I just ordered a pair of V2 pads from a third party seller that was a bit, but not much cheaper.
FWIW, I think you made the best decision getting the V2 pads. They have a different material that connects with the ears and I've never found them itchy. Also, changing pads can change the sound character of the phones and the HEK phones all have such a wonderful stock tone, that I would hate to throw that out of balance.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #10,131 of 14,653
The V2 pads make for at least 60% of the V2 sound (through the slight driver angling) – a welcome bonus for me, in addition to the better wearing comfort. You may want to add an easy modification developed for them.

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #10,132 of 14,653
I picked up a HEKv1 recently and got fed up with the vice-like grip that the stock box had on the cans whenever I wanted to pull them out for a listening session (the amount of pull applied cannot be good in the long-run). So, I bought a 9L Monoprice hard case (11.0" x 7.9" x 6.7") and a yard of navy blue satin. It works, just barely. If it had 9-10" of interior space instead of ~8", then it would have been much better. The only other one that comfortably works appears to be a Pelican 1500. If anyone else has any other pelican-style hard cases around 11x10x7in, then please let me know. I can use this one for a pair of HE-6's that I have and make another one for my HEKv1's.

EDIT: Probably Monoprice's Pure Outdoor case (19"x16"x8") fits the bill... (EDIT2: Way too frickin' huge)

7Qfi5Df.jpg
smhSEcb.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #10,133 of 14,653
So I just received my v2 pads and they don't have the mesh screens. I took the retaining ring with the screen out of my v1 pads but I'm wondering if you guys think it's risky using them without the mesh?

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #10,134 of 14,653
Is there a dust screen on the v1's attached to the driver? If not I would use a mesh screen. I can't remember as it's been awhile since I owned the v.1's. They are great phones by the way, as they sent me down the rabbit hole of getting all the versions of the HEK.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #10,135 of 14,653
Is there a dust screen on the v1's attached to the driver? If not I would use a mesh screen. I can't remember as it's been awhile since I owned the v.1's. They are great phones by the way, as they sent me down the rabbit hole of getting all the versions of the HEK.
The mesh screen attached to the driver came out with HEKse. The v1's and v2's used the pads (Ultrapads for the latter) with the screens attached to them.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #10,136 of 14,653
@sennfan83261 is right, the screen was on the pads for v1 and v2. I can't figure out a way to get the screens on to these new pads though; the new pads are glued to the retaining ring in such a way that separating the two would destroy the pads

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #10,137 of 14,653
@sennfan83261 is right, the screen was on the pads for v1 and v2. I can't figure out a way to get the screens on to these new pads though; the new pads are glued to the retaining ring in such a way that separating the two would destroy the pads
Did you order the Serenity pads (w/o screen) or the Ultrapads (w/ screen)? Or are the pads those third party leather ones (w/o screens or retaining rings)? If Hifiman sent you Serenity pads instead of Ultrapads, their customer service should help straighten things out. A few weeks ago, I received Harmony pads (Susvara) instead of the Ultrapads that I ordered for my Arya's. Hifiman's customer service fixed this snafu in a prompt manner.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #10,138 of 14,653
Did you order the Serenity pads (w/o screen) or the Ultrapads (w/ screen)? Or are the pads those third party leather ones (w/o screens or retaining rings)? If Hifiman sent you Serenity pads instead of Ultrapads, their customer service should help straighten things out. A few weeks ago, I received Harmony pads (Susvara) instead of the Ultrapads that I ordered for my Arya's. Hifiman's customer service fixed this snafu in a prompt manner.
I ordered ultrapads from an ebay third party and it looks like they sent me serenity pads instead. I just messaged them on ebay so hopefully this will work out, but I do want to keep using my HEk's in the mean time. Any thoughts on that?

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #10,139 of 14,653
I ordered ultrapads from an ebay third party and it looks like they sent me serenity pads instead. I just messaged them on ebay so hopefully this will work out, but I do want to keep using my HEk's in the mean time. Any thoughts on that?

I would not use the HEK's without dust protection. The amount of dust shed from skin and hair is considerable, and once it gets onto the delicate driver membrane it won't safely come off.
I don't remember your HEK's history, but can't you just use the old pads in the meantime?

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #10,140 of 14,653
I would not use the HEK's without dust protection. The amount of dust shed from skin and hair is considerable, and once it gets onto the delicate driver membrane it won't safely come off.
I don't remember your HEK's history, but can't you just use the old pads in the meantime?
Lol you wouldn't have any reason to know my HEKs history, I only just got them.

When my pair arrived, the pads smelt absolutely terrible and fell apart after I tried to wash them (they still stunk too). When the serenity pads arrived I tried to see if I could swap the retaining rings, so I finished taking apart the v1 pads. So no, those pads are unusable sadly.

In other news, the new pads fixed everything I had issues with about the HEK. That slightly muffled and plasticy tone that I thought ruined the timbre is now gone, a little extra sparkle to the top end and total improvement to the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back