Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #9,348 of 14,653
Top very easy going customer service
3weeks for a new pair of he1000v2

Great! Did they inform you what the problem with your dead driver was?

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #9,349 of 14,653
Does anyone experience any noticeable channel imbalance with their HE1000 v2?

I feel like there is consistently a hint more sound on the right side of my head than left. This is through various dacs and amps. I have no way to measure it and it's not so much that I'm displeased with the cans, but it's enough that I'm conscious of it and it can slightly detract from my listening at times. But honestly not sure if it's just in my head now and I'm imagining it. I have read that channel imbalance is somewhat common in planars.

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #9,350 of 14,653

I feel like there is consistently a hint more sound on the right side of my head than left. This is through various dacs and amps. I have no way to measure it and it's not so much that I'm displeased with the cans, but it's enough that I'm conscious of it and it can slightly detract from my listening at times. But honestly not sure if it's just in my head now and I'm imagining it. I have read that channel imbalance is somewhat common in planars.

Have you tried switching out your cable to see if the problem persists?

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #9,352 of 14,653
Have you tried switching out your cable to see if the problem persists?

Before swapping out the whole cable, @weissja36, try just swapping the left and right sides of the cable and see if you still notice it. That'd rule out the headphone itself if it changes.

Edit: Oops. Missed your response while typing.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #9,353 of 14,653
It still may be a good idea. It would rule out a problem with the output connector or amp channel imbalance as well.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #9,355 of 14,653
It still may be a good idea. It would rule out a problem with the output connector or amp channel imbalance as well.

In a discussion with jaZZ over at the HUGO 2 thread I noted that he too has had the same problem with his HE1000.
I too had the same problem with my first pair of HEK V2. The left channel just gradually died . The first thing I did was of course to swap channels with both cables in the box and I could quickly establish that the problem was with the headphones and neither the cables nor my Hugo.
In my case it also took about three weeks to get a new pair from the dealer where I bought mine, Stars Pickers in KL Malaysia.
While waiting for my new pair to arrive they were kind enough to lend me a demo pair they had in the shop for the full three weeks ,a pair which I had originally heard in their original HEK V1 form which had now been upgraded to HEKV2 level.
It gave me a chance to listen for an extened period first to my first pair of HEKV2 and then the upgraded demo pair for weeks with my reference material of classical hi res masterfiles of various pcm rates and DSD up to DSD 128 and also the demo pair against the new pair of HEKV2 which I have now been using for a bit over a month now.
My conclusions after this are that the demo pair upgraded sounded better than in their original form, but not as good and resolved as either of the two HEK V2s I have owned. Plus various others I have auditioned.
The upgraded demo pair still had too much of the softness that made me not buy the original V1 pair. I did not buy HEK V1 but I am happy to have bought the HEK V2.
And now that I am home again since about three weeks I still listen via my HEKV 2 much more than I thought I would. I have quite a decent speaker based system with electrostatic speakers and an amp that delivers lots of watts into those tall also very resolving beasts.
I can also now,plug my HEK V 2s into several other headphone amps and dacs, that allow them to play even better than via little HUGO,which good as it is, is not quite up to the job of driving high-end full size headphones like the HEK V 2 as effortlessly as a more powerful combo with my most demanding large scale classical material.
My only worry is, what if the new pair also dies this summer?
I am not going back to Asia until this autumn and I am becoming a bit addicted to my HEK V2.
I suppose I would have to use my HD 800 again. But then I would probably rather spend most of this summer listening to music via speakers instead.
To me much as I loved them for quite a few years, the HD 800 simply does not compare with either HEK V2 or for that matter the Utopias.
The HEK V 2 is a very good headphone that I am truly happy to own and enjoy on a daily basis.
But are the improvements I clearly heard both between V1 and the upgraded and several versions of V2 only the result of the improved cable and earcups and slightly higher sensitivity, or is there as one dealer said, actually a new improved driver in the HEK V 2?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #9,356 of 14,653

Do you also hear it if you put the right driver on your left ear and the left driver on your right ear? If not, then the headphone is faulty.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #9,358 of 14,653
Sriracha

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #9,360 of 14,653
I use a luxman550ax and I'm very happy even now!
I listen he1000 using the dsp of jriver I gained 2db at 100hz with a low shelf filter?
And gained also 50hz by 2db as well with a very low Q so the slope is softer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back