Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 19, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #9,227 of 14,653
I'm not commenting on the correctness of your observations on HEK and Mojo or Dave, or other Chord gear. I've heard them at meets, but not in a familiar environment where I can assess the relative performance with and without an amp. I use my MicroZOTL2 (which I really like) with the Line Out Option of a Geek Out SE, or with a turntable/phono pre-amp (am I double amping my vinyl output? I suppose I am, but it is necessary in analog LP listening). And I think we get the point you make. And also that some disagree. And the back and forth doesn't accomplish anything after the point is made (I've never seen, say, a cable disbeliever become convinced by something someone wrote. It only happens when one hears it for themselves. And if they don't hear it, no amount of verbiage will convince them they are wrong). So I'm not taking a position on your position (from the department of redundant redundancy). I'd love to own a Dave to be able to weigh in from personal experience. The point is, we get it...

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #9,228 of 14,653
Receiving my hek v2 tomorrow so new to this forum
Used the mojo with hex sounded great
I had heard mojo needed an amp for hek aren't these forums for helping people
Sorry you're so bored

tuna, don't worry about the amp! I'm sure the HE1000 V2 will sound great driven by the Mojo as well, even better than the HEX. And if that's not the case, you can still make for reenforcement.

As an encouragement, the mention that Chord use Audeze LCD-4 for demoing the new Hugo² at shows. The Hugo² has 28% more power than the Hugo¹, 740 compared to 580 watts, at 33 Ω, and from all I know the Mojo has about the same output power as the Hugo¹ (see figures). Compared to the HE1000 the LCD-4 has extremely low sensitivity and is said (around here) to need a really powerful headphone amp or even better a speaker amp. Now Chord would be ill-advised to use it for demoing the Hugo² if it couldn't properly drive it. I have auditioned the LCD-4 myself using my Hugo, and it sounded fine up to the levels my ears could bear.

I'm not commenting on the correctness of your observations on HEK and Mojo or Dave, or other Chord gear. I've heard them at meets, but not in a familiar environment where I can assess the relative performance with and without an amp. I use my MicroZOTL2 (which I really like) with the Line Out Option of a Geek Out SE, or with a turntable/phono pre-amp (am I double amping my vinyl output? I suppose I am, but it is necessary in analog LP listening). And I think we get the point you make. And also that some disagree. And the back and forth doesn't accomplish anything after the point is made (I've never seen, say, a cable disbeliever become convinced by something someone wrote. It only happens when one hears it for themselves. And if they don't hear it, no amount of verbiage will convince them they are wrong). So I'm not taking a position on your position (from the department of redundant redundancy). I'd love to own a Dave to be able to weigh in from personal experience. The point is, we get it...

The thing is, my proposals are always treated as not worth considering. I've never read something like: «Oh well, that's something I could try if I have the time» or: «I must confess that I don't have the patience for this kind of effort equalizing brings with it» or «I'm just too lazy and don't need the last bit of resolution and accuracy anyway». Instead the re-amping approach is displayed as the only valid one – from its supporters –, and this despite Rob Watts' clear speach. Right now my attempt to let tuna47 know my personal experience with the corresponding recommendation to better renounce an amp is downright sabotaged by trying to ridicule me.

I just chime in in cases like this, when again the unjustified amplifier glorification is about to mislead a new Head-Fier towards spending money for useless gear.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #9,229 of 14,653
Stop spreading incorrect info all over...I'm sure you can play your HEKv2 thru Mojo but you lost a lot of dynamic that you would when HEKv2 is well driven by an amp.

If you think the only thing an amp could do is to colour the sound, then power to you but I will TOTALLY disagree with you.

*sorry not trying to pick a fight or to debate at length as I'm sure we all spent too much on gears and have formed our own preference and opinion but I trust my ears to tell me that you're wrong

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #9,231 of 14,653
Stop spreading incorrect info all over...I'm sure you can play your HEKv2 thru Mojo but you lost a lot of dynamic that you would when HEKv2 is well driven by an amp.

If you think the only thing an amp could do is to colour the sound, then power to you but I will TOTALLY disagree with you.

*sorry not trying to pick a fight or to debate at length as I'm sure we all spent too much on gears and have formed our own preference and opinion but I trust my ears to tell me that you're wrong

I would never require from you to stop your misleading info, as wrong as it is. Free speach is essential on Head-Fi and elsewhere. BTW, you belong to the people who still don't get the gist of my approach, although they petend to do so. Nor do you show any interest to reproduce it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #9,232 of 14,653
I'm picking no sides and honestly I've just skimmed over the latest discussion but the only input I'll give is:

This is an expensive hobby and a lot of advice people give newcomers is actually an exaggeration that ends up instilling a belief in them that they have to spend a lot more money than they need to. I've always hated the "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet". Product designers and salesmen love it, but the precedence the community sets can sometimes come around to bite us consumers. The best advice I could give anyone (newcomer or veteran) is certainly to listen for yourself.. cables, headphones, amps & dacs etc

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #9,233 of 14,653
I'm not a new comer to the community just to the hek v2
I have had at least 20 different headphones over the years and have had arguments as far back as akg vs senns
There never seems to be a true answer just different opinions sound is a great hobby but always comes down to what you hear

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #9,234 of 14,653
I have had at least 20 different headphones over the years and have had arguments as far back as akg vs senns
There never seems to be a true answer just different opinions sound is a great hobby but always comes down to what you hear

Very true. Also Sennheiser wins the akg battle. :grinning:

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #9,235 of 14,653
I would never require from you to stop your misleading info, as wrong as it is. Free speach is essential on Head-Fi and elsewhere. BTW, you belong to the people who still don't get the gist of my approach, although they petend to do so. Nor do you show any interest to reproduce it.

Haha whatever dude I couldn't careless what you think (nor should you do what I think) and I don't have the time going back and forth on this subject. "All amplifier does is to colour the sound" is at best half true and misleading. But you have it your way, go ahead.

I trusted my ears to tell me what works and what not. Simple

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #9,236 of 14,653
Can anyone chime in with Wells Audio Milo amp vs Microzotl2 amp? I've been enjoying my Microzotl2 but gave read wonderful things about Wells audio for some time now, and i do wonder what all the extra wattage would bring to my HE1000v2.

Any thoughts?

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #9,237 of 14,653

Sorry for putting you in the wrong category! 
redface.gif
Dillan's advice is the best: Listen for yourself before you decide. From my personal experience I would still recommend to equalize the headphone to as perceivedly neutral as possible before doing the test. Otherwise the result is prone to be distorted.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #9,240 of 14,653
Can anyone chime in with Wells Audio Milo amp vs Microzotl2 amp? I've been enjoying my Microzotl2 but gave read wonderful things about Wells audio for some time now, and i do wonder what all the extra wattage would bring to my HE1000v2.

Any thoughts?

I have no experience with the Microzotl2 other than a quick listen in a show but I can tell you that the HE1000 (at least the v1) likes power. The more clean power you prove them the better they sound IMO.

IMO the Milo is a great little amp that provides great sound and a lot of power at its price.

I have an Enigma upgraded almost to the level of the Headtrip and my HE1000 totally loves it and me too 
ksc75smile.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back