Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 15, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #9,033 of 14,653
I was expecting the worst: bright and thin bass, etc. To my surprise, I did not notice any sacrifice in the bass response at all. In fact I experienced a fuller and smoother overall sound. It could be due to going from the stock SE cable to balanced.  This is my first foray into non-stock cables and I'm not disappointed so far.

Silver cable is the best and has been confused with silver plated which is hard to get right.
It is most silver plated copper that has that brightness/harshness Problem.
Norne Vanquish Cable found a way to use this uneven perception to its advantage by making a lively cable,
But for sensitive cans like HD800 you can still hear fatigue or confusion of ambient cues depth in the treble presence range.
Especially with many DACs .

I like my "ELA Audio" pure silver Ultimate version:

It is twice the thickness of the regular version,
And it didn't cost an arm and a leg because it is solid core silver, instead of softer teeny hairline thin stranded silver used by others...

How much did it costs?

It was in the $350 US range, which is extremely cheap for silver cable,
Mainly because of not using the fancy stranded variety, being solid core,
But using many conductors braided ALmost like a druag2 cable.

Thanks. I do really like the Norne on my Audeze (a Draug 2). The MIT is new to me, so thanks, I'll investigate.

The Draug2 (OCC copper) I also still own
but find the top end artificially airy compared to my silver cable which has more solid image and Lazer sharp focus.
Still, the Draug2 is an excellent cable over normal cables and any silver plated type.

Actually yes I had precisely the same impression of the V1, and the V2 surprised me because it is noticeably more liquid and full, especially in vocals. And it is more soothing and sweet and musical overall for someone like me who is super-sensitive to shrill highs. And the bass is bigger/better too and better integrated.

You're not helping me and my wallet :) 

Although that's good to hear, anyone else with thoughts on V1 vs V2, and also V2 vs Utopia.

Thanks

The Utilopia compared to the HEKV2 is outclassed by the HEKV2 more elegant refined matured sound.
Utopia is more forward focused .
Therfore It does not do all genres like the HEKV2.
It is a great secondary can, NOT a TOTAL genre can.
It relies upon the beauty of tube gear to sound it's best and make up for certain deficiencies.
It does not have the HEK Soundstage, and all that implies, like holography and imaging.
It does not have the HEK bass depth and oomph..
It gets you 75% there, with added benifit of great mids.
Utopia is not the better can to me.
I prefer the ZMF Eikon over the Utopia for a secondary can to compliment the HEKV2 or HD800.
You be surprised to see how the ZMF stacks up ...

Utopia is a rigid, high xmax driver. It's also a bit faster sounding than the HE1000. You can see in the impulse response the Utopia driver starts and stops very quickly whereas the HE1000 driver keeps moving well after the initial signal, which causes some sounds like the treble to hang in the air a bit longer, making it sound a bit slower in treble response.

Actually what you describe would give you more decay on HEK, not a "slower" response.
This impart a body and flesh to sound.

An opposite example is the HD800 being percieved as too "fast" , so thin in bass, when clearly the HD800 does produce good bass in freq response charts.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #9,034 of 14,653

How many wires are in your silver cable...8 or 16?  If it's a 16-wire, how are the ergonomics?  Is it stiff and heavy and annoying to deal with, or do you not notice?

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #9,035 of 14,653

How many wires are in your silver cable...8 or 16?  If it's a 16-wire, how are the ergonomics?  Is it stiff and heavy and annoying to deal with, or do you not notice?

My "Ultimate" version is double of the normal version,

Which means it has *edit typo* 16 cores of 24awg pure silver wire in teflon sleeving.
I do not believe it has been surpassed in total guage against any competitors,
But it is solid core which is why a bit stiff .
I don't mind because of the sound and price.
I was not going to pay 600-900 for equivalent guage stranded version cables.

Yes it is a bit stiff but not kinky .
Yes it seems a bit heavier than the rest but not a big deal at all..
Edit2:
The normal 8 core was light but kinky.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #9,036 of 14,653
Now my HEK V2 is in its 50th hour of burn in. Its bass is phenomenal. Very fast extends very low. And has immense amount of details and great slam. I mean it is not a bass head's can. However the bass is the best I have heard so far. Sound-staging is the next strength. Immense sense of space and placement of instruments in 3D space in fantastic.
Though it is not as bright as HD800s (from my memory of HD800s) its sounds an improved HD800s to my ears. I always felt even HE560 is too bright in upper mids and lower highs making it slightly harsh sounding on long listening hours. HEK V2 has just the right amount in those FR range for my ears.
My urge to buy Utopia and compare is getting attenuated day by day. Considering extra amount I have to pay, I guess whether its worth.
I would buy the silver cable and burn it further to 150 hours.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #9,037 of 14,653
Now my HEK V2 is in its 50th hour of burn in. Its bass is phenomenal. Very fast extends very low. And has immense amount of details and great slam. I mean it is not a bass head's can. However the bass is the best I have heard so far. Sound-staging is the next strength. Immense sense of space and placement of instruments in 3D space in fantastic.
Though it is not as bright as HD800s (from my memory of HD800s) its sounds an improved HD800s to my ears. I always felt even HE560 is too bright in upper mids and lower highs making it slightly harsh sounding on long listening hours. HEK V2 has just the right amount in those FR range for my ears.
My urge to buy Utopia and compare is getting attenuated day by day. Considering extra amount I have to pay, I guess whether its worth.

Utopia is a bit more forward/brighter than the HEKv2 without the associated driver ringing that comes from the HD800/S, so it's brighter without being sibilant. I think the HE1000v2 is better than than the stock Utopia due to it's tonality, however I think the Utopia with the Elear pads pushes it over the top, both by expanding the soundstage (reduces the presence region by 2db as seen by inner fidelity measurements) and also raises the bass response, and the extremely high excursion of the Utopia driver along with comparable THD in the bass really is an experience worth having, with bass that's both tactile and punchy.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #9,039 of 14,653
I am planning to buy an aftermarket cable for HEK V2. Shortlisted them to two cables.

Ultimate Silver Hifiman HE1000 upgrade cable by Lavricables

Claire hybrid HPC by Forza audiowaorks

Any opinions on these two cables and their synergy with HEK v2?

My HD650 died (L driver) after so many years of service. I was having Stefan Audio Art E-Series cable for HD650.
Re-terminated using Viablue 6.3mm and Eidolic 2.5mm Hifiman connectors myself. Used Cardas Solder and hermetically sealed the connector joints, (-:
They sound wonderful!! Bass has improved very much and imaging has improved too.

I would build a hybrid cable myself using pure solid wire and OCC copper (4x4 = one channel 2 silver and 2 OCC) and compare the results. I guess Hifiman used a hybrid configuration for a reason. They wanted perhaps to have SILVER goodness for treble and imaging with OCC serving lower registers. (At least in theory (-:)

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #9,041 of 14,653

Utopia is a bit more forward/brighter than the HEKv2 without the associated driver ringing that comes from the HD800/S, so it's brighter without being sibilant. I think the HE1000v2 is better than than the stock Utopia due to it's tonality, however I think the Utopia with the Elear pads pushes it over the top, both by expanding the soundstage (reduces the presence region by 2db as seen by inner fidelity measurements) and also raises the bass response, and the extremely high excursion of the Utopia driver along with comparable THD in the bass really is an experience worth having, with bass that's both tactile and punchy.

The Utopia is in bad, bad need of better bigger pads...

ZMF pads with Audeze double sided tape works..
Problem is your basically modding a $4k headphone.
The tonal balance will be better but unknown if still forward or not.

HEKV2 has proper linear depth and placement of Soundstage while being most neutral of three (hd800/Utopia/HEKV2),
WITHOUT needing any mods like the other two.
Original HEK is laid back in comparison.

My hd800 always had a more forward or more energetic sound (than neutral),
not matter what Soundstage size it is modded to.
Same "may" apply to Utopia.
I still say the Utopia really benifits from tube gear which can give it the extra bit of body and Soundstage it needs to be great.
All preference here.

So is ELA the same as Effect Audio? Thanks.

I have no clue.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #9,043 of 14,653
  Where are ELA cables available? Thanks again.

You can find the ELA cables here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/222400396702?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are made by someone in Texas and unrelated to Effect Audio.  They also seem uncommunicative based on my own recent experience as well as negative feedback from the past month.  That is often a red flag for ebay sellers, but there could also be extenuating circumstances.  Their overall feedback for non-cable items (which is mostly what they sell) has been positive over time.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #9,044 of 14,653
OK thanks. I found that but need 9 feet but he doesn't respond. I'll just be patient. Thx again.
For the record, my HEKv2 seems to be sounding better and better, quite brilliant actually, far better than my old v1 (I did the upgrade offer thing).
I don't know if it's psychological or break-in, but something is working after a few months now.
It's just really natural sounding and insightful and non-fatiguing. It does take considerable power though it seems. I love this headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back