Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 31, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #76 of 14,653
Retro styling but it looks good on that model. 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #77 of 14,653
More translations.

-This guy says he really didn't hear the blandness others are talking about. He heard a lot of power, similar to the HE560- but with less veil. He thinks the Orpheus is still better in micro-retrieval and details- but that to him is the power of stats. He thinks the HE1000 is the king of dynamics in terms of detail.

-Another guy says the EF1000 runs less hot than the EF6. He felt the EF1000 was a bit lacking in power. He felt that the EF1000 and EF6 came from the same family- both a bit restrained, and he doesn't quite like it. The HE1000, to his ears, sounds very different from the other Hifiman cans. He was disappointed by this. The HE1000 is a more relaxed sound, more neutral, and more refined. He felt that it's not as expressive as the HE6. He also felt it was lacking a bit in details and musicality. He says it's far from the Orpheus. His ranking among non-stats:

Timbre and expression: HE6, LCD 3 > HE1000
Quality: 1266 > HE1000

This guy also heard the EF1000+HE1000 combo will cost about USD5K.

-A third guy says compared to the HE560, the HE1000 is obviously less veiled. The HE1000 was less detailed than the Orpheus. He also said he didn't hear it like the second guy at all.

-A fourth guy says he heard it like the second guy- a bit bland, and lacking in musicality and emotion. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #78 of 14,653
  More translations.

. . . He thinks the HE1000 is the king of dynamics in terms of detail. . . 

I like this.  As much as I love my HD800, it really is time for some competition . . . 

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #80 of 14,653
I'm more interested in comparing the HE1000 against the HE-6. So using the same amp, say just the EF1000, how does the HE1000 compare against the HE-6?

This is all I really care about too.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #81 of 14,653
  I'm more interested in comparing the HE1000 against the HE-6. So using the same amp, say just the EF1000, how does the HE1000 compare against the HE-6?

that would be an interesting comparison. i have seen the he-6 at prices as low as $600 for demo units. if the he1000 is going to be hitting the multiple grand price point, it would be difficult to justify that kind of investment from a value:price standpoint unless the sonics are drastically improved.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #82 of 14,653
But comfort and ergonomics also contribute to the listening experience.  The 560 is super light and really comfy, IMO.  The HE-6 not really  . . . .   If the HEK (love that acronym) can bring better than HE-6 S.Q. at 560 comfort levels . . . . I may not be able to afford that grad degree I was hoping to start this year . . .

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #83 of 14,653
  More translations.

-This guy says he really didn't hear the blandness others are talking about. He heard a lot of power, similar to the HE560- but with less veil. He thinks the Orpheus is still better in micro-retrieval and details- but that to him is the power of stats. He thinks the HE1000 is the king of dynamics in terms of detail.

-Another guy says the EF1000 runs less hot than the EF6. He felt the EF1000 was a bit lacking in power. He felt that the EF1000 and EF6 came from the same family- both a bit restrained, and he doesn't quite like it. The HE1000, to his ears, sounds very different from the other Hifiman cans. He was disappointed by this. The HE1000 is a more relaxed sound, more neutral, and more refined. He felt that it's not as expressive as the HE6. He also felt it was lacking a bit in details and musicality. He says it's far from the Orpheus. His ranking among non-stats:

-A third guy says compared to the HE560, the HE1000 is obviously less veiled. The HE1000 was less detailed than the Orpheus. He also said he didn't hear it like the second guy at all.

-A fourth guy says he heard it like the second guy- a bit bland, and lacking in musicality and emotion. 

There seems to be a large variance in opinions almost as if they were listening to different headphones. I realize people perceive sound differently as peoples hearing varies, but the range of contradicting opinions interests me. Did they each use different models of the HE1000 that may be different from one another therefore producing different sound signatures?

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #84 of 14,653
There seems to be a large variance in opinions almost as if they were listening to different headphones. I realize people perceive sound differently as peoples hearing varies, but the range of contradicting opinions interests me. Did they each use different models of the HE1000 that may be different from one another therefore producing different sound signatures?

lol. check out any headphone discussion and this kind of variation of opinions is the norm.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #85 of 14,653
  More translations.

Lets get to the old "power requirement" discussion.  Will most "headphone amps" be enough?

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #86 of 14,653

From reading it, I sense they have different comparisons (some comparing to Orpheus, some to other dynamics). I also think there were different conditions. Some heard it meet conditions, some heard it in the room.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #87 of 14,653
We aren't there yet. Sure. But one day tech will be there, or will be so close that you can't notice any more. The exact sound of a piano 1 foot in front of your face, vs the recording of that same piano, played back through a set of speakers? At some point the recording/playback will be so good you literally can't tell the difference. and as time goes on, that tech will get easier and easier to create and mass produce. And once we have perfect sound it won't get any better than perfect.

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion too much, but that's not really true.  What you're describing is possible.  I have heard some speaker & room setups where my ears and eyes were in total conflict.  My eyes told me that I was in a room listening to a pair of speakers, but my ears told me there was live music in the room.  You could close your eyes and "see" the singer and the piano.  I have no doubt if you blindfolded someone and put them in the room they would vehemently insist that there was a piano and a singer in the room performing live.

I've never listened to any audio setup the same way since.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #88 of 14,653
OK here we come, more impressions.

-One chap said that the EF1000 is a HUGE change from the EF6
-Same guy found the HEK very transparent and clear, in a way only the top headphones can be. It did not wow him like the SR009, but rather like the Orpheus, it was very non-fatiguing and balanced. It does not deliberately emphasise details. Compared to the HE560, the HEK had more dynamic flavour, sounded more lively, 3-dimensional and real. Again, it did not wow him, but it made him feel very peaceful
-Another guy: great soundstage and sense of space. Unbeatable for strings, especially live cello performances.
-A third guy agrees with the great soundstage
-Guy #4 chips in that the bass is really weighty and powerful.
-There is discussion about how the EFK uses a softstart for power.
-Another guy says he really likes the HEK. It does not sound like a dynamic driver to him. Very delicate yet without losing a sense of dynamism; strong yet without overemphasing anything.
-One more fella says he did not hear it for long, but what he heard was a sense of power, without giving up the feeling of delicateness.
-And here it comes.. One guy talks about conditions. He says he listened to Orpheus vs HEK with different systems, different songs, and on material he's not used to. And he only got ten minutes. So at most he can talk about signatures. The Orpheus is thicker and warmer, and more coloured. The HEK is flatter, and more transparent.
-In other news, the RE600S was going for 65 USD at the conference.
-In other, other news, the previous lead designer also known as Winny, who designed the HE6 but not the HEK? I think he's also on Head-Fi. His name is.... Nankai. According to him, the HE6 had issues with the treble- which was mildly sibilant. The HD800 and Orpheus also had bright trebles. He says anyone calling these headphone's trebles smooth ought to reexamine their ears. Lol.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #89 of 14,653
@jelt2359 - really appreciate all the translations.  The use of the term "dynamic" in relation to the technology (not the presentation of sound) is a bit confusing.  For example, it's probably good that the HEK didn't sound like a dynamic driver to that guy 
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #90 of 14,653
  @jelt2359 - really appreciate all the translations.  The use of the term "dynamic" in relation to the technology (not the presentation of sound) is a bit confusing.  For example, it's probably good that the HEK didn't sound like a dynamic driver to that guy 
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Glad they're helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back