Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #8,866 of 14,704

Yes, the Abyss is built like a tank to partly justify it's high price. It also looks like a tank, weighs like a tank, has to be driven like a tank and has all the home comforts of a tank :0). The smiley face is to denote that I exaggerate slightly for a bit of fun.

Abyss, 620g without cable, how long one could enjoy music with it on head before it take its toll on our neck? I can enjoy HE500, 500g, within 30 minutes and endure it in 1 hr maybe, but no more.
It is major omission IMHO that the weight was not regarded as a top priority when assess HPs, especially planner HPs which by nature heavier than tradition dynamics.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #8,868 of 14,704
Add on to that the audible bass distortion (even with top amp), and the constant need to readjust the headband and ear pieces.

Yeah, but given the proper system they sound so damn good... Curious too, I never detected any of the distortion that you refer to. How long did you listen? Granted, with the headphones the setup I listened to was in the $25K range... but that  hour or so I spent with them is one of the most memorable listening experiences that I have ever had.

Though, I can tell you that the HEK in my system at less than 20% of the cost has given me some "damn that is good" moments as well.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #8,869 of 14,704
Yea, i agree that for the abyss the weight is a downside , but bass distortion? Really? Havent heard any distortion too

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #8,870 of 14,704
Thanks for all the help and guidance on this post, it has all been very helpful. After emails from Frank at Toxic Cables I have ordered the Black Widow cable for my HE1000 headphones.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #8,871 of 14,704
Add on to that the audible bass distortion (even with top amp), and the constant need to readjust the headband and ear pieces.

Yea, i agree that for the abyss the weight is a downside , but bass distortion? Really? Havent heard any distortion too

Don´t want to derail this thread, but according to Tylls measurements http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf this headphone has some (and not mild) THD distortion at 100dB in sub bass, upper midrange and also in treble. To be honest I´m shocked how can a headphone with such distortion ( without mentioning its appearance and wearing comfort) have such outrageous price tag. I haven´t heard Abyss, but a lot of people say Abyss has the best bass of all headphones and regarding  that measured THD, I´m wondering what all the fuss is about.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #8,872 of 14,704

Don´t want to derail this thread, but according to Tylls measurements http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf this headphone has some (and not mild) THD distortion at 100dB in sub bass, upper midrange and also in treble. To be honest I´m shocked how can a headphone with such distortion ( without mentioning its appearance and wearing comfort) have such outrageous price tag. I haven´t heard Abyss, but a lot of people say Abyss has the best bass of all headphones and regarding  that measured THD, I´m wondering what all the fuss is about.

My 76 year old ears, certainly do not pick up distortion at those frequency ranges, nor do I hear a treble peak on my HD800,so obviously, I do not have the hearing of a Bat. For me, the question is, what does it sound like?. Can I afford it etc.Thank the lord we all hear slightly differently.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #8,873 of 14,704

Yes, measurements... I don't often listen at close to 100 DB. Some distortion is generally considered pleasant depending at which order it occurs. Look how many people love that tube sound. It is nothing more than well placed distortion. In any case, they sounded extremely good to my ears.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #8,874 of 14,704
  Look how many people love that tube sound. It is nothing more than well placed distortion. In any case, they sounded extremely good to my ears.

Oh my, more disinformation, here we go again.... tubes are tone controls, distortion artefact etc etc.

Really, you need to listen to some good tube amps to get a handle on why tubes can do great things. And yes, they can sound better than solid stage even, my goodness.....

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #8,875 of 14,704
I ordered the HEK v2 before New Years, and they arrived today! Unfortunately there's no sound from the left driver. Tried multiple cables and sources.

I asked for amp advice earlier, and appreciate all the advice. Ended up going for a Pathos Aurium from the classifieds here. I was looking forward to a nice weekend listening to both but I'll have to wait a bit to get the HEK exchanged. Ahhhhhhhh.....oh well. Patience is a virtue right?

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #8,876 of 14,704
I ordered the HEK v2 before New Years, and they arrived today! Unfortunately there's no sound from the left driver. Tried multiple cables and sources.

I asked for amp advice earlier, and appreciate all the advice. Ended up going for a Pathos Aurium from the classifieds here. I was looking forward to a nice weekend listening to both but I'll have to wait a bit to get the HEK exchanged. Ahhhhhhhh.....oh well. Patience is a virtue right?

If it's the amp or dac, check inside and see if there are loose cables. I had this problem once.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #8,877 of 14,704
I tried them with my home amp and DAP with the same result. Going back to my other headphones there was no issue. I really wish it wasn't the case but I can't think of any explanation but a bad connection inside the headphone.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #8,878 of 14,704
It is a shame that the build quality of the HEK is so poor. I own the v1 and I love the sound produced, but by comparison my Focal Utopia almost give me confidence to drive nails with them. I accidentally knocked my HEK off the stand onto the carpet on a couple of occasions and I was consumed by fear that they would be damaged.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #8,879 of 14,704
It is a shame that the build quality of the HEK is so poor. I own the v1 and I love the sound produced, but by comparison my Focal Utopia almost give me confidence to drive nails with them. I accidentally knocked my HEK off the stand onto the carpet on a couple of occasions and I was consumed by fear that they would be damaged.

Don't hold your breath for Edition 6 then. Similar looks to HEK but at 6 kilobucks. The Edition 6 thread is a screamer lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back