Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #8,641 of 14,673

Also the Swiss distributor has confirmed that HifFiMan refuses to sell V2 pads separately (save for warranty exchange). That's not a nice policy and certainly bad self-promotion. Early HE1000 buyers were really passed the buck, and no mercy upon further notice.

If you ask for the pads in the Head-Direct sponsor forum you get no response.

That said, with modification and equalized my V1 still sounds fabulous. Maybe it doesn't even get better...

They need to sell or replace all V1 pads for V2 for any owners as V1 pads must be discontinued by now...
And I'm guessing the new pads will get you 1/3 way there to V2 sound,
But if you recall the prototype V1 sounded different as well, so sonic changes can be made without any apparent observable change.
My guess from now owning V2, is that it is much more than pad change.

I'm mainly interested in the greater angling of the new pads for a more realistic soundstage. The tonal balance can easily be adjusted (also for improved impulse response, from which my now pair already benefits). Actually I'm determined not to upgrade the whole headphone and pay for it.
cool.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #8,642 of 14,673
  I'll swap my HEX v2 pads on my HEK v1 and report back.

Still no feedback...

Conspiracy theory No.1: You've been warned to publish your findings, otherwise the warranty of your pair will extinguish.
Conspiracy theory No.2: You've been promised a free HiFiMan MegaMini High-Res Music Player (the Hi-Res Music Player for Everyone) if you refrain from publishing your findings.

In any event so far just one person has dared to provide a mini-review of the V2 pads on the HE1000 V1.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #8,644 of 14,673
Look At my post in the v2 upgrade thread in the regular headphone forum.

Edit: never mind if you already saw it lol.

Still no feedback...

Conspiracy theory No.1: You've been warned to publish your findings, otherwise the warranty of your pair will extinguish.
Conspiracy theory No.2: You've been promised a free [COLOR=000000]HiFiMan MegaMini High-Res Music Player[/COLOR] (the Hi-Res Music Player for Everyone) if you refrain from publishing your findings.

In any event so far just one person has dared to provide a mini-review of the V2 pads on the HE1000 V1.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #8,646 of 14,673
Someone looking for me???

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #8,647 of 14,673

Still no feedback...

Conspiracy theory No.2: You've been promised a free HiFiMan MegaMini High-Res Music Player (the Hi-Res Music Player for Everyone) if you refrain from publishing your findings.

While I'd love to take a bribe (hit me up HiFiman), you forgot:

Conspiracy theory No.3: I'm just really lazy. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #8,648 of 14,673
Guys,

Having a little problem with my HE1000. The leather headband came off on the R side. When I checked it, turns out the small metal thing inside that is supposed to hold the leather band broke. 

Was wondering if anyone faced this before. Any advice please? 

Thanks. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #8,649 of 14,673
The headband on my pair came off on both sides (though not at the same time). I couldn't fix it any other way than with super glue in both cases.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #8,650 of 14,673
  The headband on my pair came off on both sides (though not at the same time). I couldn't fix it any other way than with super glue in both cases.

Hi Jazz,

Did you open it up? I suspect that little metal thing also broke in your case. Both of them probably broke, in your case. Those things are small and quite thin. They really should have used thicker material. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #8,651 of 14,673
Yes, it may have been broken, but I couldn't even find anything looking like this, so it must have been buried in the leather without the «shaft».

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #8,652 of 14,673
  Yes, it may have been broken, but I couldn't even find anything looking like this, so it must have been buried in the leather without the «shaft».

Yes, mine was under the shaft too. It jumped out as I was opening it up. Quite surprised to see how thin it was. 

To think that this is happening to a USD3000 headphone is ridiculous. Even my USD100 phones have better build quality. I think they take cost-saving to a whole new level. 

Anyway, I have contacted Hifiman support. Let's see how they handle this. I need new one of that little metal thing. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #8,653 of 14,673

Yes, mine was under the shaft too. It jumped out as I was opening it up. Quite surprised to see how thin it was. 

To think that this is happening to a USD3000 headphone is ridiculous. Even my USD100 phones have better build quality. I think they take cost-saving to a whole new level. 

Anyway, I have contacted Hifiman support. Let's see how they handle this. I need new one of that little metal thing. 

And while you're ordering replacement parts, also ask for V2 ear pads and insist on them!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #8,655 of 14,673
  Hahaha. I'd be happy just to have a normal working V1. This is quite annoying!

^this.

It was the world I lived in for quite some time.

Haven't found a flawless pair of HEK yet.  Closest pair to perfect had tight enough headphone connectors to keep the headphone cables intact while listening, and don't squeak while tilting the cups.  Headband adjusters were loose though, so I had to unscrew those and adjust the clip to make the adjuster much more difficult to adjust.  Swivel on the right cup is still flimsy while swivel on the left has some resistance.  I just live with the fairly minor imperfections, but the showstopping ones (headphone cable falls out on its own, or leather headband breaks upon use) is simply unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back