Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 21, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #8,266 of 14,734
I'd consider it more of a lottery than an upgrade program. It's a nice offer, though.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #8,267 of 14,734
Its nothing more than a public relation exercise after the wave of discontent that they have created.

In general it cost 3x more to bring in a new customer than to retain an existing one, and HFM can consider me done as a customer. Don't think you'll likely see an Utopia dropping 1/3 of its value within the next several months like a HFM flagship product?

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #8,268 of 14,734
Its nothing more than a public relation exercise after the wave of discontent that they have created.

In general it cost 3x more to bring in a new customer than to retain an existing one, and HFM can consider me done as a customer. Don't think you'll likely see an Utopia dropping 1/3 of its value within the next several months like a HFM flagship product?

Well said....and can't agree with you more.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #8,269 of 14,734
Do the foam mod first as it is the easiest.
Just drop in, and reversible.
The tape mod reduces reflection and increases clarity,
While the foam mod delivers impact and extension and trebles refinement.
Just do it.
smily_headphones1.gif

​Just a question @Maxx134. Are we supposed to do both the tape and foam mod for best results?

The mod that I did was based on the foam mod. Instead of removing the ear pads and putting a ring of roam, I actually just lifted up the insides of the ear pads and stuffed some cotton under it. So basically, in this configuration the cotton closes the gap between the housing and the ear pads. I'm not sure if this gives the same exact effect as the foam mod though (I still need to try that out).

What were your impressions after performing these mods? Was the impact improved on the HEK?

​I mostly agree with @Maxx134's impressions. One thing that I would like to add though is that imaging definitely improved. It got more precise and less diffuse. (At least with the cotton-under-the-pads mod that I did as stated above).

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #8,270 of 14,734
I have mixed feelings about this issue. Both from a business perspective and as a longtime HiFiman customer.

Until recently, one could count on an investment in a flagship headphone to be good for a few years, at a minimum, if not longer. The pace of innovation and new players has really ramped up, which is why I, for one, certainly don't want Fang Bian to stop innovating and introducing new products. It is obviously in their best interest to do so, and ultimately ours as well.

Having a background in marketing and sales and having run a small business, I know how valued current customers are and that it should be a primary priority to retain such customers. The delta on the loss of a current customer coupled with the expense of bringing a new one on board is significant.

In terms of HiFiman, I thought I was set with the HE-500...then the HE-560 showed up in short order...I purchased it as well....only to have the HE-1000 make an appearance (as I was considering the HE-6)....I then purchased the HE-1000. 

Though HiFiman will make it's own choices on how to retain it's current customers, as they should, I would advise the company to be careful and that some recognition program for customer loyalty and current owners be put in place, whether that is through a step up program, discount, or other means.

Agreed 100%. A smart company would be in damage limitation mode with existing customers right now. HFM appears to use Head-fi as a major part of their marketing, and it doesn't take much to generate bad feeling and a resultant backlash in a place like this. In addition, it's clear that the "beta" program for the HE1000 was nothing of the sort as most of the changes being implemented in v2 were actually suggested during the beta.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #8,271 of 14,734
I heard the V2 today. It is a significantly better balanced headphone than the V1. It had better integration through the frequency range, better mids and treble, better focus, and even a more natural soundstage.

Will be interested in trying the V2 pads on my V1s.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #8,272 of 14,734
I have gained a remarkable improvement in sound quality with a silver-based Norne Eternus cable, which is expensive ($580 for 5 feet). I have not compared it to other silver-based aftermarket cables.

Jeff.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #8,273 of 14,734
I heard the V2 today. It is a significantly better balanced headphone than the V1. It had better integration through the frequency range, better mids and treble, better focus, and even a more natural soundstage.

Will be interested in trying the V2 pads on my V1s.

IMHO I think the V2 Should have had a totally new model number because everything is different except for looks...
The cups
The driver's
The pads
The headband

All are a slightly different version over the V1.

HiFiman implemented all these changes as "improvements", as any company would keep improving.

Focal improved totally upon their existing designs as well.
They just didn't come out of the blue with their magnet structure.

We need to step back and take a deep breath and realize their will be an upgrade, so everything will work out in the long run,
Because HiFiman has what I consider a MUCH better warranty policy than FOCAL and all the others...

For example:
Focal warranty is not transferable.

So if you buy a second hand unit,
you are basically scr*wed..
Four thousand dollars...

Neither are many of the others transferable.

So let's grab a hold of our testosterone levels for a moment and try have patience.
Wait to see what HiFiman does this coming month .
I was told a short time ago that it will be coming in October.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #8,274 of 14,734
Agree the beta program wasn't really much of a beta program...it was fairly short, didn't see how they could possibly make major changes in the time they had. They did make a change in the length of the headband, for comfort and fit. Guess it was a beta for v2...

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #8,275 of 14,734
Could sit be that buyers of V1 are used as a beta tester, and the V2 being their final product? 
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #8,276 of 14,734
  I have gained a remarkable improvement in sound quality with a silver-based Norne Eternus cable, which is expensive ($580 for 5 feet). I have not compared it to other silver-based aftermarket cables.

Jeff.

The WireWorld nano Platinum Eclipse (OCC Silver) 1.5 meters is $650.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #8,278 of 14,734
Has anyone heard the Micro iCan SE Headphone transportable amp with theHEK??

It should be "ok", but don't expect much.

This is not a 4w amp as they mislead you. Very misleading.
Only a 4w instantaneous peak at a certain load.

Also the "tube state" is just a "saying"/acronym they made up.
Just a class A input choice of whatever new opamp which contains jfets or whatever choices they chose.
No tube and no big deal.
Edit*
No I haven't heard it.
It may sound nice, but don't expect much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back