Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #8,251 of 14,734
Do the foam mod first as it is the easiest.
Just drop in, and reversible.
The tape mod reduces reflection and increases clarity,
While the foam mod delivers impact and extension and trebles refinement.
Just do it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very surprised that you find the HEK lacking impact/punchiness.  From what I remember about reading your other posts, you're not using stock cables, correct?
I'm using the Stratus to drive the HEK and I find that the HEK sometimes has too much impact/punchiness to the point where mid-range seems slightly shelved/recessed.  This is sort of irrelevant, considering I am using completely different upstream equipment as well as a different tube combination.

What level of volume do you listen at with the Stratus? 

I do have upgraded cables (Norne Zoetic Copper), but still feel I can do with some more impact. I have no issues with treble clarity, however, one never knows what they are missing till they have it. Bass extension will also be a plus - I'm looking more for bass impact here, and if that comes along for the ride, all the better. I'll start with the foam mod and take it from there. This is not to say I am unhappy with the the HE1K. I have always adored its strengths and accepted its weaknesses (based on my perception). I am looking to have it at its peak point and hopefully compare it in the near future to the Utopia.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #8,252 of 14,734
I do have upgraded cables (Norne Zoetic Copper), but still feel I can do with some more impact. I have no issues with treble clarity, however, one never knows what they are missing till they have it. Bass extension will also be a plus - I'm looking more for bass impact here, and if that comes along for the ride, all the better. I'll start with the foam mod and take it from there. This is not to say I am unhappy with the the HE1K. I have always adored its strengths and accepted its weaknesses (based on my perception). I am looking to have it at its peak point and hopefully compare it in the near future to the Utopia.

Upgrade to HEK V2, the obviously increased impact in all frequency domain is confirmed .

The toe-in angle of ear pads is the dominating factor, but it is strange that bass is FELT less than V1. Maybe just because treble/mid is much than V1. (which is much easier handling than lack of impact)

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,253 of 14,734
@Weilli Hey, when you said V2 bass felt less than V1 , are you talking about both Deep Sub bass and Mid bass feeling less ? and is the V2 bass compared to V1 is "actually reduced" or "appear to be reduced due to Mid/treble impact overshadowing it" ?  But isn't the bass impact also supposed to be increased in V2 which means would also be felt more just like mid/treble ?  I am bit puzzled man !

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,254 of 14,734
  @Weilli Hey, when you said V2 bass felt less than V1 , are you talking about both Deep Sub bass and Mid bass feeling less ? and is the V2 bass compared to V1 is "actually reduced" or "appear to be reduced due to Mid/treble impact overshadowing it" ?  But isn't the bass impact also supposed to be increased in V2 which means would also be felt more just like mid/treble ?  I am bit puzzled man !

Mid bass: no obviously affected.
Extreme Deep Sub bass: overshadowed by Mid/treble. 
Impact: treble/mid/bass increased.

Which means the major bass impact is not contributed by extreme deep sub bass but the other parts of bass.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #8,255 of 14,734
Oh thanks man , this means V1 is more warmer and V2 is more dynamic sort of ! So the Bass impact increase should be the Mid bass slams/punchy then.. Hmm.. i love the non distorted/relaxing/refined Deep sub bass which V1 has so need to think if i have to move away to V2 or not.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #8,256 of 14,734
  Oh thanks man , this means V1 is more warmer and V2 is more dynamic sort of ! So the Bass impact increase should be the Mid bass slams/punchy then.. Hmm.. i love the non distorted/relaxing/refined Deep sub bass which V1 has so need to think if i have to move away to V2 or not.

I'm now testing V2 with V1 ear pads.
The conclusion would come out next week.
It's very funny in this combination.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #8,258 of 14,734
  I'm now testing V2 with V1 ear pads.
The conclusion would come out next week.
It's very funny in this combination.

A lot of HE1000 V1 owners (myself included) would like to know how the V1 sounds with the V2 pads. You would probably be the first to offer some impressions of this combination.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #8,259 of 14,734

Upgrade to HEK V2, the obviously increased impact in all frequency domain is confirmed .

The toe-in angle of ear pads is the dominating factor, but it is strange that bass is FELT less than V1. Maybe just because treble/mid is much than V1. (which is much easier handling than lack of impact)

Lol. I'm sorry, but with this being my first Hifiman purchase, and their recent demonstration of disregard for purchasers of the HE1K, I will not be purchasing a V2, or anything else from them in the near future. IMO, there needs to be a trade-in program for the HE1K towards a purchase of the V2. I understand that others might disagree, but I am entitled to my opinion. I haven't wasted the time to rant about this on any fora simply because they are entitled to their own business practices, and I am entitled to spend my money as I see fit. I plan on optimizing the HE1K as much as possible, to see if I can ameliorate some of its shortcomings. I also intend to throw the Utopia, which is widely regarded as an upgrade, into the mix and determine if I need to go in that direction. For academic purposes, I would love to compare the V2 to the modded V1 to see how it stacks up as well.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #8,260 of 14,734
I'm as bummed out that they're is a V2, and my HEK is "obsolete". But it is not reasonable to expect Hifiman (or any manufacturer) to never upgrade or provide upgrades for owners of earlier models (there are a few that do, but that is exemplary service and above and beyond). No one expects Toyota to upgrade their Camry when a new, improved model is introduced...

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #8,261 of 14,734
I'm as bummed out that they're is a V2, and my HEK is "obsolete". But it is not reasonable to expect Hifiman (or any manufacturer) to never upgrade or provide upgrades for owners of earlier models (there are a few that do, but that is exemplary service and above and beyond). No one expects Toyota to upgrade their Camry when a new, improved model is introduced...

Firstly, this can be argued all day till the cows come home. I'm not seeking to convince anybody else to follow suit. Feel free to spend your money as you please, and I will mine. Secondly, I don't feel the V1 is obsolete, which is why I am looking at different ways to enhance it as much as I can and see how close I can get it to sound like the V2, which supposedly is punchier with added impact. At the time I auditioned the HE1K, I considered it the best among everything out there (to my ears and wallet). With the introduction of the Utopia, I owe it to myself to compare the two at some point, if only for academic reasons.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,262 of 14,734
I have mixed feelings about this issue. Both from a business perspective and as a longtime HiFiman customer.

Until recently, one could count on an investment in a flagship headphone to be good for a few years, at a minimum, if not longer. The pace of innovation and new players has really ramped up, which is why I, for one, certainly don't want Fang Bian to stop innovating and introducing new products. It is obviously in their best interest to do so, and ultimately ours as well.

Having a background in marketing and sales and having run a small business, I know how valued current customers are and that it should be a primary priority to retain such customers. The delta on the loss of a current customer coupled with the expense of bringing a new one on board is significant.

In terms of HiFiman, I thought I was set with the HE-500...then the HE-560 showed up in short order...I purchased it as well....only to have the HE-1000 make an appearance (as I was considering the HE-6)....I then purchased the HE-1000. 

Though HiFiman will make it's own choices on how to retain it's current customers, as they should, I would advise the company to be careful and that some recognition program for customer loyalty and current owners be put in place, whether that is through a step up program, discount, or other means.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,263 of 14,734
And BTW, there is an upgrade program for new cars. It is called leasing.  And has very high customer retention rates. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #8,264 of 14,734
Leasing is its own animal...you're basically renting with the option to buy (which few do). You have restrictions on how many miles you're allowed to drive, have to return it in perfect condition. If you know of any TOTL leasing programs, let us in on them. :)

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8,265 of 14,734

Hifiman has a HE-1000/Edition X upgrade program right now, though it is for a limited number of people per month.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817037/hifiman-s-lucky-upgrade-opportunity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back