Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 11, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #7,771 of 14,805

mmm.....looking forward to this...

I'll do my best to get a decent amount of can time on HD800 (maybe HE-6 too) and write a review that evening.

Though if Hifiman is bringing Shangri-La, that would have to take priority 
beyersmile.png

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #7,772 of 14,805
  Looking forward to... Woo Audio? LOL. Thanks but I'll pass. There are some much better names in the industry called "McIntosh" or "Goldmund". Hope you guys have heard about those rather than just Schitt and Woo.

ot: mmm....yup, we've heard of McIntosh and Goldmund. If Woo Audio is beneath you, that's okay. You are not the target market. If your purpose is to disparage Woo Audio because their products are beneath you, that's also okay. My advice: move on please because you are not being helpful in this thread. Thanks.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #7,773 of 14,805

ot: mmm....yup, we've heard of McIntosh and Goldmund. Move on please.

Good to hear. I'm all for low budget small factories making good "bang for the buck" products, but when they are charging those prices, sorry, I am going for the proper brands. I hope all Head-fiers are sane enough to realise that. The HE1000 is still a cheap headphone (compared to some other Schitt gear and Woo gear) and very good value and I would stand out to recommend it. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #7,776 of 14,805

Good to hear. I'm all for low budget small factories making good "bang for the buck" products, but when they are charging those prices, sorry, I am going for the proper brands. I hope all Head-fiers are sane enough to realise that. The HE1000 is still a cheap headphone (compared to some other Schitt gear and Woo gear) and very good value and I would stand out to recommend it. 

Your arrogance and condescension are hilarious.  I, too, feel that Woo is overpriced, but you won't find me making such absolutist statements about things that are, after all, a matter of personal opinion.  

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #7,777 of 14,805

"I am more qualified than most people here(click)"

Is this serious or sarcastic? Do you realize you come off as a pompous *******? The HE1000 could never be cheap enough for me to purchase it again. Great sounding, but horribly built, and there are better sounding headphones out there. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #7,778 of 14,805
  "I am more qualified than most people here(click)"

Is this serious or sarcastic? Do you realize you come off as a pompous *******? The HE1000 could never be cheap enough for me to purchase it again. Great sounding, but horribly built, and there are better sounding headphones out there. 

Your thread and experiences with the HEK played a large part in what had me worried about making the purchase.
I'm glad to report that I don't hear any of those weird car engine-like noises that you were hearing, and that my only build quality issue is the left cup swivels easily and the right cup swivels less easily.

Just out of curiosity, which headphones do you prefer the overall sound of over the HEK? 
I prefer the HD800 over the HEK for classical, jazz, and acoustic, but then prefer the HEK over the HD800 for pretty much everything else.
Haven't tried an aftermarket cable for the HEK yet though.

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #7,779 of 14,805
I only listen to classical, so I'm quickly forgetting that my he6 even exist (though I heard them with a 5k speaker amp from a company called "sanders" yesterday--still bloated mid bass, even through Yggdrasil). He1k are fine, but too laid back for my preferences to enjoy after a half hour audition. Perhaps after a month i'd feel different.

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #7,780 of 14,805
  Your thread and experiences with the HEK played a large part in what had me worried about making the purchase.
I'm glad to report that I don't hear any of those weird car engine-like noises that you were hearing, and that my only build quality issue is the left cup swivels easily and the right cup swivels less easily.

Just out of curiosity, which headphones do you prefer the overall sound of over the HEK? 
I prefer the HD800 over the HEK for classical, jazz, and acoustic, but then prefer the HEK over the HD800 for pretty much everything else.

Mmm....if I may, same same. Hd800s and 800 for classical, jazz and acoustics and hek for the rest. I'm hoping the Utopia will be a good alternative to both. Ō 

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #7,781 of 14,805

Glad to hear you aren't having troubles with them minus the swivel issue. I had the swivel issue as well. HD800 and HEK are a great set of headphones to own, and compliment each other nicely. I'm pissed at myself for selling my HD800, oh well. As for what I prefer, LCD-4 and Abyss. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #7,782 of 14,805
Mmmm......just curious: what is it about the build quality that you guys don't like about the HEK? The materials used are metal, wood and leather. Nothing out of the ordinary for any headphone. Aside from the creaking sound when you swivel or flex the headphone (a very minor annoyance), nothing seems out of place.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #7,783 of 14,805
  Mmmm......just curious: what is it about the build quality that you guys don't like about the HEK? The materials used are metal, wood and leather. Nothing out of the ordinary for any headphone. Aside from the creaking sound when you swivel or flex the headphone (a very minor annoyance), nothing seems out of place.

The wood looks incredibly odd and just cheap - no where near as beautiful as the wood used on Audezes. I have a very sharp eye and can point out imperfections in just about anything including the HD800S, but the metal work of the HE-1000 is a joke. Metal has so many tiny nicks and chips - and there is a discolouring that can be seen on some parts. Also, when you swivel the headphone, the metal there is completely blackened and looks disgusting. Pads are made of pleather; wood is cheap; metal work is done poorly; leather strip looks lousy and second class compared to the leather strip of the Ethers. Cable breaks incredibly easily (one twist and its gone) and I know someone who had their HE-1000 come with the leather headband above the metal rest.

Very harsh from me but this is enough for me to find it a deal breaker.

Also, on some units (I'd say 50% of the units I've seen); there is something really strange (like dandruff or oils) stuck in between the mesh of the grill. I had to return my Edition X because of this and I see the same thing on the demos at the store.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #7,784 of 14,805

The wood looks incredibly odd and just cheap - no where near as beautiful as the wood used on Audezes. I have a very sharp eye and can point out imperfections in just about anything including the HD800S, but the metal work of the HE-1000 is a joke. Metal has so many tiny nicks and chips - and there is a discolouring that can be seen on some parts. Also, when you swivel the headphone, the metal there is completely blackened and looks disgusting. Pads are made of pleather; wood is cheap; metal work is done poorly; leather strip looks lousy and second class compared to the leather strip of the Ethers. Cable breaks incredibly easily (one twist and its gone) and I know someone who had their HE-1000 come with the leather headband above the metal rest.

Very harsh from me but this is enough for me to find it a deal breaker.

Also, on some units (I'd say 50% of the units I've seen); there is something really strange (like dandruff or oils) stuck in between the mesh of the grill. I had to return my Edition X because of this and I see the same thing on the demos at the store.

Huh my HEks are nothing how you describe. mine are pretty new, they dont feel cheap. Over all I am impressed that they made a headphone that is pretty light weight for it size, and very comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back