Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,626 of 14,653
Just noticed a scratch on the iron with my brand new unit which I didn't notice during unboxing... Otherwise sounding fine and no complaints atm.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #5,627 of 14,653
  Just noticed a scratch on the iron with my brand new unit which I didn't notice during unboxing... Otherwise sounding fine and no complaints atm.

Good pairing with the Studio Six so far would you say?

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5,628 of 14,653
so far liking the pairing very much, although I don't have anything else to compare it with. Tbh, I haven't heard any bad high end headphone with the studio six.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #5,629 of 14,653

Pros:
very neutral timbre, maybe a little bit on the dark side (not euphonic), absolutely not bright at least to my hears (HE6 and 507 are way brighter)
bass (extension, texture, impact), the best I've heard (admittedly, never heard an Abyss)
mids (resolution, fludity), one of the best I've heard (only 009 IMHO is slightly better)
higs (absence of grain, good timbre), one of the best I've heard (again, IMHO 009 is slightly better)
very easy listening, can listen literally for hours with the HE1000 without any fatigue
very realistic impact without any bloominess, one of the best I've heard (and, yes, IMHO the impact on LCD3 is too bloomy for my taste)
incredibly transparent, at 009 level IMHO
very realistic soundstage (HD800 has a wider soundstage, but IMHO is a little bit unrealistic)

Cons:
not so airy, IMHO HE6 and 507 are more open and airy than HE1000
the headband of the production cans is way too short

all the above is just IMHO and of course YMMV

This sums up my impressions as well but I would also add 'price' to my Cons list.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5,630 of 14,653
Now that I got the HE-6 myself, I have to really say that in my opinion, the HE-1000 doesnt give the visceral impact like the Audeze LCD-3F or HE-6. Everything sounds kinda far away aswell, in a way. 

My HE-6 have the fuzzor mod (I bought them used) and it doesnt sound very bright at all. LCD-X was brighter sounding

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #5,631 of 14,653
Out of all the negatives I have seen the only one that concerns me is the “odd imaging” and “kind of distant sounding”   comments.

I am very sensitive to that particular problem.  I do not like the SR-009 because even though technically it is maybe the best headphone ever- to my ears the spacial imaging is out of whack and that was a breaker for me..  It is not noticeable at first- but my ears caught on after a few weeks.  The HD800 imaging seems fine to me but in that case I feel the sound is distant- and I do not like it.  Generally I like moderate soundstage in a headphone--- just enough to take it out of the head- but not so so big- that the spacial presentation starts to sound false.

Does anyone else hear this “out of whack imaging” issue and is anyone else bothered by this particular issue?

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5,632 of 14,653
  Out of all the negatives I have seen the only one that concerns me is the “odd imaging” and “kind of distant sounding”   comments.

I am very sensitive to that particular problem.  I do not like the SR-009 because even though technically it is maybe the best headphone ever- to my ears the spacial imaging is out of whack and that was a breaker for me..  It is not noticeable at first- but my ears caught on after a few weeks.  The HD800 imaging seems fine to me but in that case I feel the sound is distant- and I do not like it.  Generally I like moderate soundstage in a headphone--- just enough to take it out of the head- but not so so big- that the spacial presentation starts to sound false.

Does anyone else hear this “out of whack imaging” issue and is anyone else bothered by this particular issue?

Personally, I loved the way the HEK images, though I also enjoy the HD800 in that regard. The two are the closest to good speakers (headstage vs. soundstage of course) that I have heard. This is very important to me in listening to classical and most jazz. If I want the performers screaming in my ear I listen to Grados.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #5,633 of 14,653

I guess I know what you mean. I still haven't heard the SR-009, but would attribute this characteristic to every electrostatic headphone and speaker I've heard, maybe with the exception of the HE 90 and the ESL-63, where it's at least clearly less pronounced. It falls under the «ethereal» category in my book; to me electrostats seem to create some sort of halo around the notes. The SR-007 (I think what I auditioned was the first version) was the most extreme example, although its treble characteristic/intensity was less typical for an electrostat.

The HE1000 doesn't resemble electrostats in this respect – imaging is one of the best, most natural I've heard from headphones. And it doesn't sound distant at all.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #5,635 of 14,653
  The imaging oddness / "frontal diffusedness" can be remedied to an extent with an earpad-angling mod (somewhat analogous to one of the steps I did with HE560 modding).

Interesting. So far I don't even know how to remove the earpads. However, I don't even hear any «frontal diffusedness». I take it you're speaking of the HE1000, not the SR-009.
confused.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #5,637 of 14,653
nobody want to try the HEK with the sorbothane mod? If all headphone are plagued with vibrations the HEK also is...
its a mystery for me that people have try all complicated mod, often not reversible or risky, and i am sure, modification with less paid off sound... 
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #5,638 of 14,653

Interesting. So far I don't even know how to remove the earpads. However, I don't even hear any «frontal diffusedness». I take it you're speaking of the HE1000, not the SR-009.
confused.gif

If you compare HE1000 against Audezes and whatnot, the relative diffusion of frontal (depth) imaging is quite apparent.

Earpads are clipped in via little tabs that go under the baffle ring, if you've owned previous Hifiman cans and taken those earpads off, same principle.

Anyway I won't go into detail on HE1000 modding until after my review of the stock cans is out.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #5,639 of 14,653
  If you compare HE1000 against Audezes and whatnot, the relative diffusion of frontal (depth) imaging is quite apparent.

Earpads are clipped in via little tabs that go under the baffle ring, if you've owned previous Hifiman cans and taken those earpads off, same principle.

Anyway I won't go into detail on HE1000 modding until after my review of the stock cans is out.

I haven't owned Audeze or HiFiMan headphones before. So your mod creates some driver angling? That sounds promising.

And I finally managed to remove an earpad. It's easy if you know how (similar to the HD 800)!
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,640 of 14,653

When will your review be out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back