Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #5,146 of 14,685
I think my HEK may be faulty. Video here:

http://cl.ly/2h1i1p230m2Y/IMG_3353.MOV

In the above video I'm tapping the ear pads on the desk a lot lighter than it looks. If I pull the drivers away 1-2cm from my ears and let go, the left driver is solid and makes no noise, the right driver however makes a very strange metallic vibration/shaking sound.

Anyone else experience this? Easy to test. Pull the drivers 1-2cm from your ears and let go :¬)

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #5,147 of 14,685

In the above video I'm tapping the ear pads on the desk a lot lighter than it looks. If I pull the drivers away 1-2cm from my ears and let go, the left driver is solid and makes no noise, the right driver however makes a very strange metallic vibration/shaking sound.

Anyone else experience this? Easy to test. Pull the drivers 1-2cm from your ears and let go :¬)

Mine are totally quiet. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #5,148 of 14,685

Yes, my right earpiece makes a noise like this – just more quiet and less bright. I wouldn't call it metallic. It's what I called «something like the Stax fart» in my previous post.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,150 of 14,685
  Sound like you are pushing the diaphragm distance temporary from the magnets.

That's no reason to make a noise. The music signal isn't affected by it, so I doubt the membrane has contact with the magnets.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #5,151 of 14,685
The HEKs are most definitely becoming addictive.  It's a really good compliment to the Abyss, HD800, and the 009s.  All do things better than the other.  To get all these headphones in one.  The closest to me have been the HE-6, it's the true jack of all trades.  However, on it's own merits I can find things that each of the mentioned headphones can do better. 

I suppose you can but I don't listen to classical music with the HEKs - like the Abyss, too much bass.  The HD800 and the 009s are perfect for that genre IMO.  

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #5,152 of 14,685
Received my HEK from Todd, very enjoyable so far, smooth and detail at the same time, the added bass is welcoming compared to HD800.
Driving it from the WA5 K1K port using WE422A + C3G + WE300B:

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #5,153 of 14,685
  Received my HEK from Todd, very enjoyable so far, smooth and detail at the same time, the added bass is welcoming compared to HD800.

Beautiful rig!

Noticed you have the Schiit Wyrd, do you notice the difference without it? I'm planning on getting the Schiit Yggdrasil and was wondering if I should grab a wyrd.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #5,154 of 14,685
I didn't remember anything significant when I was comparing with and without the wyrd. I got the wyrd for my modi, and kept it when I upgraded to gungnir, with modi there were a definitely improvements in clarity.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #5,156 of 14,685
Guys does anyone have any suggestions on amps that play well with the HEK? Im thinking about something in the 1k-5k range.

The micro Zotl does a great job. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5,157 of 14,685
Guys does anyone have any suggestions on amps that play well with the HEK? Im thinking about something in the 1k-5k range.

Not really a suggestion, but I thought this might be relevant to the common interest.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773300/hifiman-he1000-in-stock-at-headamp-now-500-off-gs-x-mkii-if-ordered-together

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #5,158 of 14,685

The K1K port, is that the Plate Output setting? High or Low impedance? I am playing around with different output keys and am finding that the Cathode LO-Z gives a softer richer sound, with a slightly recessed midrange, and requires much more gain. Whereas the Plate LO-Z gives a dynamic and vivid sound, presenting a more forward midrange and generally energises the headphones. I don't know what the equivalents are on the WA5.

Which C3G are you using BTW? Tried to run them on the 234's and is no go, very disappointing as its a great driver. Attached the output key chart to see if they marry up.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #5,159 of 14,685
isquirrel,

I think that would be plate, LO-z option for WA234.  K1K on WA5 output 8W @ 110 ohm, I'm going to try using speaker tap to get the 8W @ 8 ohm to see if that's better, but currently with the Lorez C3g driver running out the K1K output I get very good dynamics with much better overall control of the sound compares to using other tubes and output ports.  Output volume is a bit lower, but worth it, plenty left still, I hardly go over 50% volume.  Comparing to other driver tubes, from Tungsol BGRP 6sn7/6f8g to Mullard ECC32, I think the C3g is the most natural sounding.  I listen to mostly vocal, jazz, so the smoothness of the C3g is very much to my linking, it provide the needed warm shift (while being very detail and dynamics) to pair with HD800.  The HE1K however takes the smoothness to a higher level... I'm going to see if I can write a mini review (I'm suck at describing what I hear), but sound wise, the HE1K is a winner.  Build quality needs to be improve however, I noticed many imperfections, with the veneer bulge up as much as 1mm, very noticeable and really an eye sore for a $3K TOTL headphones.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #5,160 of 14,685
  isquirrel,

I think that would be plate, LO-z option for WA234.  K1K on WA5 output 8W @ 110 ohm, I'm going to try using speaker tap to get the 8W @ 8 ohm to see if that's better, but currently with the Lorez C3g driver running out the K1K output I get very good dynamics with much better overall control of the sound compares to using other tubes and output ports.  Output volume is a bit lower, but worth it, plenty left still, I hardly go over 50% volume.  Comparing to other driver tubes, from Tungsol BGRP 6sn7/6f8g to Mullard ECC32, I think the C3g is the most natural sounding.  I listen to mostly vocal, jazz, so the smoothness of the C3g is very much to my linking, it provide the needed warm shift (while being very detail and dynamics) to pair with HD800.  The HE1K however takes the smoothness to a higher level... I'm going to see if I can write a mini review (I'm suck at describing what I hear), but sound wise, the HE1K is a winner.  Build quality needs to be improve however, I noticed many imperfections, with the veneer bulge up as much as 1mm, very noticeable and really an eye sore for a $3K TOTL headphones.

isquirrel,

My HEK's are pretty good re finish. Thanks for the info, I had the C3G Siemens, Telefunken and the Lorenz, couldn't run any of them, plus got an ominous warning from Woo that if I did they were not responsible for warranty and not to run them.

Looking forward to your review !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back