Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 22, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #5,161 of 14,747
Guys does anyone have any suggestions on amps that play well with the HEK? Im thinking about something in the 1k-5k range.

japanese Bakoon 5210 mk3,especialy with current input from current output dac like ACSS from master 7,in current mode...the version with upgraded UL board

single stage SS amp with zero feedback and with satri link and current output zero current to voltage converters,its fastest amplifier I know off,-3 db 1mhz.Also lowest distortion

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #5,162 of 14,747
My production HE1K has shown up and they sound, to my ears, better than the beta unit. The bass seems deeper and tighter, almost like a sub woofer. My only complaint, my head barely fits in the headband now. I am still happy to have my HE1000 and I love the deeper bass, it satisfies the bass monster that sleeps within me.:)

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #5,163 of 14,747
My production HE1K has shown up and they sound, to my ears, better than the beta unit. The bass seems deeper and tighter, almost like a sub woofer. My only complaint, my head barely fits in the headband now. I am still happy to have my HE1000 and I love the deeper bass, it satisfies the bass monster that sleeps within me.:)

how tall are you? I am 6 foot 1 but I have wide head,when I heard Fang is gonna shorten headband I was concerned,is it problem really?

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #5,164 of 14,747
Haven't heard it yet (not yet related) but many who have heard it, the Liquid Carbon, with the HEK raved. Supposed to be limited run, I have one on order. MicroZOTL doing fine by me so far, haven't heard it, but some rave over Mojo power supply upgrade for ZOTL, brings the package to annoy 2k.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #5,165 of 14,747
The HEK are growing on me, opening up as the burn in continues (it's only been 24 hours thus far).

They are indeed effortless, some tracks that were a bit hollow with the Abyss suit this sound signature very well. Some of my 'older' favourites (Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac etc.) are suited better with the HEK.

The Abyss is unbeatable for electronica however, something I listen to a lot.

Might have to keep both.

Shame about this odd driver issue. Anyone else tested their pair for the same thing?

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #5,166 of 14,747
The HEK are growing on me, opening up as the burn in continues (it's only been 24 hours thus far).

They are indeed effortless, some tracks that were a bit hollow with the Abyss suit this sound signature very well. Some of my 'older' favourites (Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac etc.) are suited better with the HEK.

Might have to keep both.

Shame about this odd driver issue. Anyone else tested their pair for the same thing?

I doubt it's a driver issue. But my pair show similar condition. Same with demo pair at the shop.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #5,167 of 14,747

Might have to keep both.

Abyss is unbeatable in the bass? 
I listen to 90% electronica and some EDM, they only had Trentemoller at the dealer so ive only heard HEK with a boring trentemoller song so I couldent make my mind up really. 

I asked if they had the Abyss, and he was like " You know what... you dont want those headphones in your life, they are horrible and uncomfertable with stupid solutions". :p 

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #5,168 of 14,747
I doubt it's a driver issue. But my pair show similar condition. Same with demo pair at the shop.

You mean this?

http://cl.ly/2h1i1p230m2Y

Abyss is unbeatable in the bass? 
I listen to 90% electronica and some EDM, they only had Trentemoller at the dealer so ive only heard HEK with a boring trentemoller song so I couldent make my mind up really. 

I asked if they had the Abyss, and he was like " You know what... you dont want those headphones in your life, they are horrible and uncomfertable with stupid solutions". :p 

What your dealer really said was: "Buy the stock I have" ;¬)

I don't find them uncomfortable at all. In fact due to not clamping my head never gets the 'earpad' heat buildup of any other can. I wear them for 8+ hours without issue. Couldn't do that with my LCD or even the HEK. 

Bass is easy to fine control with the Abyss. VERY easy. If it's too much, clamp them a bit tighter and there you go. Not enough? Open them up. I listen to Trentmoller a lot, and trust me, it's better on the Abyss than the HEK, X or 3F (to me). Hence I bought them :¬)

You should hear Dorest Perception (Shpongle) on these things!

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #5,170 of 14,747
Thanks JSG.

Just spoken to Mark (High End Workshop / Electromod here in the UK) who mentioned it's possibly just air compression passing through the driver.

He's right; it only does it if there is a full seal. Both solid when only a % of the cup is tested.

Oddly, it happens to both drivers, the left is when you (quickly) pull the earcup from the head (or table), and the right is when you push it (pull and release).

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #5,171 of 14,747
Yes Yoga. I went to the shop today where I bought them from. Their pair also show similar condition, as mine (right side of the hp). And their pair sound very similar to mine now, while last week they were sounding different

Do you remember what you thought the sound differences were between the shop pair and yours, I assume, new one.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #5,172 of 14,747
how tall are you? I am 6 foot 1 but I have wide head,when I heard Fang is gonna shorten headband I was concerned,is it problem really?

i am 6 foot.   i have the headband fully extended and my head barely fits.  i streched the 
leather band just a tad and it fits better.   it should not be a issue for you after a day of use.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #5,173 of 14,747
Hi negura. Today is third week I went back to the shop. While I kept my unit played 24/7, it's a bit hard for the shop to do the same (I assume). Last week when I went there, I gave an impression on this post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/5055#post_11763083

I advised the shop attendance to burn in as much as they could. My unit and their unit were opened on same day about 3 weeks ago. But their unit was used much less, I assume. When I compare today, both unit sound very similar.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5,174 of 14,747
Hi negura. Today is third week I went back to the shop. While I kept my unit played 24/7, it's a bit hard for the shop to do the same (I assume). Last week when I went there, I gave an impression on this post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/5055#post_11763083

I advised the shop attendance to burn in as much as they could. My unit and their unit were opened on same day about 3 weeks ago. But their unit was used much less, I assume. When I compare today, both unit sound very similar.

@isquirrel recommends 200+ hours before critical listening too.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #5,175 of 14,747

Great, thanks. I found what I was looking for. I wish I could have compared two pairs, one new and one used for several hundred hours side by side to assess how much it improves or regresses with use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back