Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 18, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #3,061 of 14,798
You arent doing it right ... expensive cables are best heard through your wallet ... as long as the wallet if is full it sounds totally 'meh'

+1 yes only through the sobbing lamentations of a pillaged wallet will your cables sound there best.
biggrin.gif

It certainly feels like a dark conspiracy to separate audiophiles from their dollars sometimes
smile.gif

Some folks claim an audible difference with cabling and interconnects ... etc. More power to them. I can't tell the sonic difference between a $50 cable and a $500 cable, so I will save myself the $450 and be happy. As always, YMMV.

I didn't want to drag the thread OT - back to all things HE1000.

I am eagerly awaiting some comparisons between the modded HE6 and HE1000. That is the comparison that really matters to me, and I suspect a lot of the other HE6 owners out there. The comparison with the stock HE6 doesn't interest me much at all, as the modded version is a very different (and I would suggest, better) animal. The HE1000 only interests me if it can significantly outperform my modded HE6. Given the pricing of the HE1000, the performance difference would have to be hefty to get me to part with my shekels.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3,062 of 14,798
It certainly feels like a dark conspiracy to separate audiophiles from their dollars sometimes :smile:

Some folks claim an audible difference with cabling and interconnects ... etc. More power to them. I can't tell the sonic difference between a $50 cable and a $500 cable, so I will save myself the $450 and be happy. As always, YMMV.

I am eagerly awaiting some comparisons between the modded HE6 and HE1000. That is the comparison that really matters to me, and I suspect a lot of the other HE6 owners out there. The comparison with the stock HE6 doesn't interest me much at all, as the modded version is a very different (and I would suggest, better) animal. The HE1000 only interests me if it can significantly outperform my modded HE6. Given the pricing of the HE1000, the performance difference would have to be hefty to get me to part with my shekels.

+1 yes I would very much like to hear about the comparisons between the HE1000 and the modded HE-6. I have been tempted to get a HE-6 and play the mod game till I had a sound signature that pleased me and that it was comfortable to wear.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #3,063 of 14,798

It certainly feels like a dark conspiracy to separate audiophiles from their dollars sometimes
smile.gif

How about modded HE6 vs modded HE1000. 
wink.gif
 It's only fair. Surely HE6 owners who modded their own headphones, would mod HE1000s the exact same way if they also buy those.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,064 of 14,798
  How about modded HE6 vs modded HE1000. 
wink.gif
 It's only fair. Surely HE6 owners who modded their own headphones, would mod HE1000s the exact same way if they also buy those.

I'm curious if it will be possible or practical to mod the HE1000 at all. The open backed mod is already built into the design from what I can see. The ear pads look good too. That leaves only the damping, and why would anyone mess with that alone? In the HE6 the damping was changed to compensate for the changes made by changing the pads and opening the backing. If the backing and ear pads are good as is there might not be any need (or benefit) to modding the damping. But you never know - this sort of thing will be played about with after the release.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #3,065 of 14,798

I'm curious if it will be possible or practical to mod the HE1000 at all. The open backed mod is already built into the design from what I can see. The ear pads look good too. That leaves only the damping, and why would anyone mess with that alone? In the HE6 the damping was changed to compensate for the changes made by changing the pads and opening the backing. If the backing and ear pads are good as is there might not be any need (or benefit) to modding the damping. But you never know - this sort of thing will be played about with after the release.

I mean, if HFM hasn't implemented fazor-like structures, or something like the "fuzzor" mod which is blowing up in HE6 threads, then there's always room for that since HE1000 is dual-sided.

Otherwise you're right, "regrilling mod" is technically implemented in a very classy way already with HE1000. And the earpads are basically oval version of the HE400i/HE560 focus pads which are very good natively.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,067 of 14,798
The only difference I hear between cables is Silver vs. Copper from any company in God's green earth.  Silver, at least to my ears, sounds brighter; cooper sounds warmer to be.  So, If I have a bright headphone (e.g.., Grado PS1000 or HD800) I like copper...with Audezes and HD650s I like silver.  By the way, if I replace the stock cable it is because I want a longer cable for my own comfort, not because I feel that the stock cooper cable was worse than a moon-audio black dragon or a blue dragon.  Other than silver vs. cooper, I hear no differences in cables (i.e., all cooper cables sound alike and all silver cables sound alike).  I order from moon-audio out of pure convenience and because Drew is a nice guy...other than that, I could be getting the cables from Poddunk for all I care.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #3,068 of 14,798
How about modded HE6 vs modded HE1000. :wink:  It's only fair. Surely HE6 owners who modded their own headphones, would mod HE1000s the exact same way if they also buy those.

hahah it looks like they alrdy incorporated your grill mods stock. not sure if beta testers will be willing to glue the earpad permanently to the headphones.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #3,069 of 14,798
hahah it looks like they alrdy incorporated your grill mods stock. not sure if beta testers will be willing to glue the earpad permanently to the headphones.

HE1000 might not need good seal to have controlled subbass, since it is dual-ended (unlike HE560).

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,070 of 14,798
As far as the HE6 vs the new HE1000, the practical issue is that the HE6 seems to need a speaker amp, which is not too convenient (that's why I parted with my HE6 when my amps had trouble driving it).
So it will be very nice if the new phone has great sonics with conventional headphone amps.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #3,071 of 14,798
HE1000 might not need good seal to have controlled subbass, since it is dual-ended (unlike HE560).

+1 good point.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #3,072 of 14,798
  As far as the HE6 vs the new HE1000, the practical issue is that the HE6 seems to need a speaker amp, which is not too convenient (that's why I parted with my HE6 when my amps had trouble driving it).
So it will be very nice if the new phone has great sonics with conventional headphone amps.

HE6 doesn't need a speaker amp, but that road can certainly make it easier to deliver the juice that the HE6 needs.

There are not that many headphone amps that can deliver the push this headphone requires to shine, but they exist. They also tend to be high end and pricey. Both the WA5 and 430HA deliver the goods in spades for the HE6. I prefer either with the HE6 to my 150W power amp.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #3,073 of 14,798

HE6 doesn't need a speaker amp, but that road can certainly make it easier to deliver the juice that the HE6 needs.

There are not that many headphone amps that can deliver the push this headphone requires to shine, but they exist. They also tend to be high end and pricey. Both the WA5 and 430HA deliver the goods in spades for the HE6. I prefer either with the HE6 to my 150W power amp.

agreed. it's a disservice that some here claim that only speaker amps can drive the he-6. but what's true is that you can certainly drive the he-6 properly much cheaper with speaker amps than dedicated headphone amps. most headphone amps are underpowered...and the ones that have enough power are pricey.  

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #3,074 of 14,798
  Other than the Moon Audion Silver Dragons, do you have any other suggestions of good silver cables?

Toxic Cables Silver Widow. 
That is if the HE-1000 would need silver of course, see below.
  The only difference I hear between cables is Silver vs. Copper from any company in God's green earth.  Silver, at least to my ears, sounds brighter; cooper sounds warmer to be.  So, If I have a bright headphone (e.g.., Grado PS1000 or HD800) I like copper...with Audezes and HD650s I like silver.  By the way, if I replace the stock cable it is because I want a longer cable for my own comfort, not because I feel that the stock cooper cable was worse than a moon-audio black dragon or a blue dragon.  Other than silver vs. cooper, I hear no differences in cables (i.e., all cooper cables sound alike and all silver cables sound alike).  I order from moon-audio out of pure convenience and because Drew is a nice guy...other than that, I could be getting the cables from Poddunk for all I care.

Same here, I can easily hear the difference between a silver and copper cable. Cleaner bass, more extended highs. That is, if used with headphones that need that.
For example, a silver cable turns my HD650 into a much better headphone that IMO easily outclasses the HD-800. Gone is the muddy bass and veil and hello highs.
For the same reason, I wouldn't put a silver cable on a HD800 since that one lacks bass and has high treble extension already.

I tried with interconnects as well, couldn't hear the difference betweeen aa 300$ or 1800$ copper pair, but as soon as I put the silver 2200$ AQ Sky it was easily audible. But it would only be needed in systems that sound too dark IMO. I sold the Sky.

Cleaner bass also means losing some bass with silver. The Toxic Cables Silver Widow adds 1% gold to negate that effect. He has a seller thread here on HF as well. I'd refer to that thread for further info. And his prices are lower than other silver cables I have bought in the past.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #3,075 of 14,798

Cleaner bass also means losing some bass with silver. The Toxic Cables Silver Widow adds 1% gold to negate that effect.

Was that intented as a joke?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back