Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,971 of 14,627
The issue is amp manufacturer don't highlight the output current. So what way could one tell if if the amp will be suitable for low impedance headphones.
planars want to be strangled with a decent power supply. One with lighting quick damping and overkill current delivery. Getting loud levels is not where we listen. I want all the qualities I can get from the driver with as little db as needed. So I use speaker amp(s) with all the juice they want. Overkill says I care .... But quality power has been built and is still as good today. The headphone only draws what is needed for the db desired. Just control the signal strengh and a 200 watt speaker amp can be used. You don't use near that power but the current and V swing is an iron fist.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,972 of 14,627
So the O2 drives the HE1000 well? Looking for alternatives, now that my speaker amp won't be much use with the new pair of cans :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #2,973 of 14,627
So the O2 drives the HE1000 well? Looking for alternatives, now that my speaker amp won't be much use with the new pair of cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Why is that?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #2,974 of 14,627
Apr 13, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #2,976 of 14,627
Hi guys,
So I was recently in Beijing with work, and on a whim I contacted Hifiman to see if they had the HE1000 available to audition in person anywhere in the city. What I totally didn't expect was there was a private audition session arranged for some members of the audio community in China, right when I was in town 
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all huge thanks to Jeff and Ma Chen from Hifiman, who let me be a part of this at such short notice. There was an audition setup at an audio dealership in Beijing, with some serious hardware from Orpheus, Tenor and Tannoy driving it (pictured below). I arrived early and was able to spend some quality time with the HE1000, in a word, wow.

The high-end sources certainly helped the HE1000 to shine to its full potential (even though this is still a pre-production model), and I was especially taken by how much more holographic the sound was (for lack of a better word, what I mean is I couldn't find a single point of focus for the various sounds, it seemed that it was very 3D-sounding, as though I was sitting right in the middle of the band).

HE1000 has an amazing level of detail, and the operatic tracks fully brought out the power of human vocals, with no harsh notes/muddiness. And for the various instruments from pipes, to drums to violins, etc, the bass and highs were beautifully reproduced. One of the attendees also brought along his personal HD800, and I was able to directly compare both out of the same sources. I think the HD800 sounds a bit more impactful, but I prefer the overall sound signature of the HE1000, it's just a matter of personal preference, but I would definitely buy this in a heartbeat, were it not for the price.

As a sidenote, I was able to play the HE1000 off both the HM-901S provided at the event, as well as my own Sony NWZ-NX1 DAP. Let's just say it's technically possible, but I would never do it on purpose, the HE1000 sounded a pale shadow of it's awesome self off these sources. As for comfort, the HE1000 is surprisingly light for its size, and the soft earpads and leather strap seemed to distribute it evenly, without any pressure or strain. The metal band around the top of the headphone was a bit sharp to the touch, however again this is not the final version, so I would expect it to be sorted before the retail launch.

They also happened to have the new HM-901S as well, and I was able to test it with various headphones, including the HE560 and the HE1000. This item was built very solidly, with a milled aluminium body that also managed to look very stylish. However, it's quite massive, and I don't see it fitting in most peoples pockets. Suffice to say, now that I've heard it, my wallet will hate me 
tongue_smile.gif

Edit: I realised I didn't include the awesome Tannoys that they auditioned later on in the evening, adding a pic below. These bad boys made me wish I could afford them in my living room :p

Two more closeup pics as well to finish up. I should note that they were using a pre-production unbalanced cable as well, which ended in a standard 3.5mm connector, with a 1/4 inch adaptor. This will be changed, FYI

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #2,977 of 14,627
Thanks for your impressions and pics, my wallet whimpers when I read reviews, like yours. What is the deep, low bass like on the HE1000?.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #2,978 of 14,627
Thanks for your impressions and pics, my wallet whimpers when I read reviews, like yours. What is the deep, low bass like on the HE1000?.

I think to answer that question you really need an Audeze side by side for comparison. I've heard both separately, and they're both detailed and rich, but I haven't had a chance to put them side by side and look for any flaws. There were a lot of classical tracks heavy on bass during the event, and it sounded richer to me than from the HD800. As I said, if I actually had that kind of money to spend right now, I'd get it without doubt.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #2,979 of 14,627
  Hi guys,
The high-end sources certainly helped the HE1000 to shine to its full potential (even though this is still a pre-production model), and I was especially taken by how much more holographic the sound was (for lack of a better word, what I mean is I couldn't find a single point of focus for the various sounds, it seemed that it was very 3D-sounding, as though I was sitting right in the middle of the band).

HE1000 has an amazing level of detail, and the operatic tracks fully brought out the power of human vocals, with no harsh notes/muddiness. And for the various instruments from pipes, to drums to violins, etc, the bass and highs were beautifully reproduced. One of the attendees also brought along his personal HD800, and I was able to directly compare both out of the same sources. I think the HD800 sounds a bit more impactful, but I prefer the overall sound signature of the HE1000, it's just a matter of personal preference, but I would definitely buy this in a heartbeat, were it not for the price....

Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions !
You describe "sitting right in the middle of the band"
wink.gif
... as I am not a musician on stage playing an instrument this effect might be impressive first but long term I think it is quite annoying.
I heard the HE1000 prototype in NYC in January and I had a distinct in head localization effect (exactely between my ears). The HD800 on the other hand is so far the only headphone that gives me an almost speaker like around the head soundstage impression.

Can you please elaborate a little more on the sound stage of the HE1000 vs the HD800?

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #2,980 of 14,627
  Hi guys,
So I was recently in Beijing with work, and on a whim I contacted Hifiman to see if they had the HE1000 available to audition in person anywhere in the city. What I totally didn't expect was there was a private audition session arranged for some members of the audio community in China, right when I was in town 
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all huge thanks to Jeff and Ma Chen from Hifiman, who let me be a part of this at such short notice. There was an audition setup at an audio dealership in Beijing, with some serious hardware from Orpheus, Tenor and Tannoy driving it (pictured below). I arrived early and was able to spend some quality time with the HE1000, in a word, wow.

HE1000 has an amazing level of detail, and the operatic tracks fully brought out the power of human vocals, with no harsh notes/muddiness. And for the various instruments from pipes, to drums to violins, etc, the bass and highs were beautifully reproduced. One of the attendees also brought along his personal HD800, and I was able to directly compare both out of the same sources. I think the HD800 sounds a bit more impactful, but I prefer the overall sound signature of the HE1000, it's just a matter of personal preference, but I would definitely buy this in a heartbeat, were it not for the price.

As a sidenote, I was able to play the HE1000 off both the HM-901S provided at the event, as well as my own Sony NWZ-NX1 DAP. Let's just say it's technically possible, but I would never do it on purpose, the HE1000 sounded a pale shadow of it's awesome self off these sources. As for comfort, the HE1000 is surprisingly light for its size, and the soft earpads and leather strap seemed to distribute it evenly, without any pressure or strain. The metal band around the top of the headphone was a bit sharp to the touch, however again this is not the final version, so I would expect it to be sorted before the retail launch.

They also happened to have the new HM-901S as well, and I was able to test it with various headphones, including the HE560 and the HE1000. This item was built very solidly, with a milled aluminium body that also managed to look very stylish. However, it's quite massive, and I don't see it fitting in most peoples pockets. Suffice to say, now that I've heard it, my wallet will hate me 
tongue_smile.gif

Nice impressions, thank you for those.
I'll really need to hear these for myself.
What worries me a bit is that you found them less impactful than a HD-800 which I don't rate very high impact wise being used to a TH-900. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,981 of 14,627
I've heard the between your head soundstage come from hifiman models before. However, hifiman flagships LOVE power and if you feed them properly the soundstage will have you feeling like you're sitting in a planetarium. It is an open back design after all.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,982 of 14,627
I take it that the EF-1000 in the NYC meet had enough power to properly drive the HE1000 and I had this specific impression with the big amp as well with the HE1000 directly plugged into the new HifiMan media player device. The detail retrieval on the HE1000 is amazing and you hear a lot of ambient room reverb but it's right between the ears - at least my ears
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,983 of 14,627
I've heard the between your head soundstage come from hifiman models before. However, hifiman flagships LOVE power and if you feed them properly the soundstage will have you feeling like you're sitting in a planetarium. It is an open back design after all.

That is good to know, so my Ragnarok , with a balanced cable, should be able to make the HE1000 sing like a muse of fire.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2,984 of 14,627
  I take it that the EF-1000 in the NYC meet had enough power to properly drive the HE1000 and I had this specific impression with the big amp as well with the HE1000 directly plugged into the new HifiMan media player device. The detail retrieval on the HE1000 is amazing and you hear a lot of ambient room reverb but it's right between the ears - at least my ears
wink.gif

when you say in between the ears, are you referring to a similar effect like the center vs twisted (polarity test on http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php)?

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,985 of 14,627
  when you say in between the ears, are you referring to a similar effect like the center vs twisted (polarity test on http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php)?

No , I don't think there was an out of phase issue with a diffuse imaging.
I take it for granted that Dr. Fang Bian, who set up the equipment and Frank and Peter who had been listening to it before I joined, would have detected such an issue...
Imaging was very exact of seperate sound sources (instruments, voice) BUT all of it was inside the head and not around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back