Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 8, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #2,941 of 14,653
  if it's going to be released early than we expect, then I would assume a May launch date. that's pretty exciting, though I definitely won't have the funds to purchase it in May hahah.

That's why you have two kidneys! :¬)

I said it before and I'll say it again.
I know a fine doctor in Vietnam who does kidney surgery at a very nice price.
He does charge extra for some options though, one I especially recommend is anaesthesia.
Also, be sure to make him absolutely clear you only want one kidney removed.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #2,943 of 14,653
  I keep reading conflicting reviews on how easy they are to drive. I'm sure I read around the time when people first had chance to listen that somebody was using a portable fiio and they sounded amazing through that. Now Fang is saying the Chord Hugo isn't good enough to drive them. That's a 2 grand amp. I mean, am I taking funny pills? Is he just saying that to ensure people purchase a HIFIMAN amp or what?

I was one of them. Stillhart asked Jude if he could listen to his loaner pair, and all he had was his X5. I'm not saying in the least that they were well-driven, not by a country mile, but it was still apparent that they were special. 

Now I did borrow a pair for a few minutes to try with the Schiit RYgg, and that was something else altogether!

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,946 of 14,653
lol, no kidd
  A $10k headphone amp?!

I would speculate that it would be awesome

lol, no kidding, didn't someone a few pages back say it sounded great with even just a Fiio amp? I'm sure the Apex would be plenty of power, it would be more about matching sound signatures I would figure at that point

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,949 of 14,653
  I guess  my GS-X and Zana would both be pretty adequate with these? Opinions?

Sure, but would it be the best? Maybe there's better at a third of the price?

Seriously though, if they're pretty easy to drive, any of these high end amps would be more than suitable.  As a very general rule for high end headphones, they are likely to scale a bit with better gear in front of them.  Up to you how for you want to take it.  If you want to get the best out of them why not just go straight for a something like a WA234? :wink:

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,950 of 14,653

Sure, but would it be the best? Maybe there's better at a third of the price?

Seriously though, if they're pretty easy to drive, any of these high end amps would be more than suitable.  As a very general rule for high end headphones, they are likely to scale a bit with better gear in front of them.  Up to you how for you want to take it.  If you want to get the best out of them why not just go straight for a something like a WA234? :wink:

That's just what I was saying. Nothing proves a 10k amp will be better than a 3k amp. And I've read about some pretty expensive amps here that some people seemed to have problems with, like noisy etc... Not going to name brands since I only read about the dissatisfaction with these brands. 
Once you're at a certain quality point further improvements get smaller and sometimes there's is no improvement at all, sometimes even the contrary.
The EAR HP4 at twice the price of the Zana just wasn't as good as my Zana for example, I owned both at the same time.

My question about these two amps was simply because I own these two amps anyway.
Or they're on their way to be exact, the GS-X is fully paid and should be shipped next week, the Zana I already owned a few years ago and just paid a 50% deposit for a new one a few minutes ago. Going in production run this month.

So no, I feel no need for a WA234. From what I read most comparably priced Woo amps don't outclass a Zana, BA or DNA. All IMO of course, some may like the Woos more.

Then again, I heard a Sugden Masterclass for a whole afternoon and owned a P-1u. I was less than impressed with both of these amps whilde the Sugden cost half of a GS-X and the Luxman exactly the same here in Europe.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #2,951 of 14,653
Tube wise an allnic hpa-5000 I speculate will do a better job than a pinnacle for half the money. I also saw that jude liked the abyss and audeze's with the liquid gold so that looks like a low ohm design as well. The pinnacle if I'm not mistaken like the Teton is a high ohm output amp. With the low ohm of the he-1000 I would not recommend it, unless already owned. I'm sure the pinnacle and Teton will do an adequate job but it is not what they were designed for and the bass will most likely sound quite off. The peak/volcano is a low ohm design if the hpa-5000 and liquid gold is out of your price range. Buy both together and get a discount from todd.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #2,954 of 14,653
Easy to drive does NOT mean any amplifier with enough power can drive it WELL.
From my experience, the low impedance high sensitivity phones are the hardest to find a matched amp since it needs a lot of CURRENT. (P = I^2*R, so to output the same power, low impedance hp needs more current. I know it's too simplify but that's an easy way to look at it. I don't see why the output power matters that much to some people)
For high impedance phones, it may need high output power to have sound but generally they are really easy to drive(despite the picky HD800), but for a long time, I have had a hard time finding a good amp for planners.
As far as I know Dr. Bian Fang is one of those who will laugh at people driving headphones using their computer sound cards, ( yes, I go to Chinese hp forums a lot) and from how much money he spent on the EF1000 you can tell what's his attitude towards driving his headphone. I am not saying that some budget amps are bad or something, and I believe there are many overprice amps in the market so price doesn't mean anything. But really, driving a flagship planner like this using a $100 dollar amp? Sounds to me driving a Ferrari but get the regular gas and a set of $400 all season tires.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,955 of 14,653
Easy to drive does NOT mean any amplifier with enough power can drive it WELL.
From my experience, the low impedance high sensitivity phones are the hardest to find a matched amp since it needs a lot of CURRENT. (P = I^2*R, so to output the same power, low impedance hp needs more current. I know it's too simplify but that's an easy way to look at it. I don't see why the output power matters that much to some people)
For high impedance phones, it may need high output power to have sound but generally they are really easy to drive(despite the picky HD800), but for a long time, I have had a hard time finding a good amp for planners.
As far as I know Dr. Bian Fang is one of those who will laugh at people driving headphones using their computer sound cards, ( yes, I go to Chinese hp forums a lot) and from how much money he spent on the EF1000 you can tell what's his attitude towards driving his headphone. I am not saying that some budget amps are bad or something, and I believe there are many overprice amps in the market so price doesn't mean anything. But really, driving a flagship planner like this using a $100 dollar amp? Sounds to me driving a Ferrari but get the regular gas and a set of $400 all season tires.

The issue is amp manufacturer don't highlight the output current. So what way could one tell if if the amp will be suitable for low impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pfgo
Back