Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,881 of 14,653
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,882 of 14,653
I'm so utterly clueless on amps. But what I do know is that I've done a lot of back and forths with my o2 and many other amps now, and preferred my o2 every time - with the hd800, lcdx and lcd3 

Is this one of those unspoken things on headfi?

Am I gonna get strung up by my curlies for saying that I'm now weighing up the lcd 3 and future he-1000 as my next buy and have every intention to use my o2 with them?

What you drive them with is up to you, but there is no unspoken conspiracy about amps. Try your O2 with the HE-6 and then a powerful amp, your hearing is impaired if you think the O2 is good with the HE-6 (I'll grant you that's an extreme example, but it illustrates that what you're saying is not a universal truth that Head-Fi is out to conceal).

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,883 of 14,653
Many mid-tier amps can drive these. Basically anything that can drive the HE-560 as they're same impedance.
This includes but is not limited to:
Schiit Lyr 1+2
Audio-gd DAC/amps + amps
Violectric amps
Lake People amps
Many more headphone and speaker amps.
Anything that does 1W+ @32/50ohms pretty much. 2W if you want to be extra safe.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,884 of 14,653
impedance isn't the only factor. the he-6 is fairly easy to drive if you're looking only at its impedance. but it's a very inefficient headphone, which is why it needs a powerful amp or speaker amp to properly drive it.

but the specs on the he1000 look much more forgiving. from what I've read, most headphone amps shout have enough juice to power them. which ones sound good is another thing altogether.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #2,885 of 14,653
Hi Jude,
do you think that Meridian Prime will be a good match for HE-1000 ?

That's a very good question, @cas77. I'll take the Meridian Prime home tonight to give the pairing a try, and let you know.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,886 of 14,653
impedance isn't the only factor. the he-6 is fairly easy to drive if you're looking only at its impedance. but it's a very inefficient headphone, which is why it needs a powerful amp or speaker amp to properly drive it.

but the specs on the he1000 look much more forgiving. from what I've read, most headphone amps shout have enough juice to power them. which ones sound good is another thing altogether.

Ha, was about to make that point when I was notified of new posts and refreshed the thread to see your post.

Look forward to hearing how the pairing is on more modest amps Jude.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,887 of 14,653

You don't need to tell me... I know these things first hand 
biggrin.gif

Apparently, the HE-1000 is 32ohms/90dB/mW vs HE-560 50ohms/90dB/mW.
I am not pulling things out of my butt, y'know 
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2,888 of 14,653

Thanks for finding one (in your words) extreme example and compounding my point.

It's a good job my hearing isn't impaired despite spending a few years around Royal naval sonar equipment, and I'm in a position to challenge those who spends thousands on amps and look down their noses at an amp (the 02) that stands with the best of them.

I got the chance to listen to a friends WA7 recently (beautiful amp). I lent him my 02 for the weekend. Long story short, he's now selling his WA7.

Preference for altered, or altering sound is one thing (which I appreciate - I bet it is very rewarding). Degrading the sound signature of a headphone and the way it's supposed to sound, and charging people THOUSANDS for the privilege, whilst saying it makes them sound 'better' is something that really rubs me up the wrong way.

Forgive my ignorance, but the further I delve into this hobby the more I'm starting realise this industry is made up of a lot companies, with fistfuls of colourful, copper, silver, gold, plutonium, honey nut cheerio lined cables, taking advantage of a loada kids with autism spectrum disorder who are striving to be the most original kid on the block.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #2,894 of 14,653

Am I right in saying that's the final product now as well?

I keep bringing this up but I don't think it gets enough attention and scrutiny.

I couldn't get over how bad the 560 looked when I saw them for the first time. If this is gonna be their flagship you'd think they'd make it purty!

Edit: the 560 does sound great though.

Sound is of course priority with this as well, but now we have an idea of the retail price I'd expect a good quality build.

I understand Fang has a phd in cyberdyne systems, OCP and nano-bots but you'd think those spectacles he rocks would allow him to see that his previous products obviously needed to be a bit more, er ... Je ne sais quoi.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #2,895 of 14,653
I am thinking of putting the guts of my HE-560 to my HE-400i's cups. The veneer wood just looks ugly on 560(which is what I use majority of the time). I know a lot of people have wood fetish but at least make it optional on HE-1000 for those who want it. I reckon an all black motif will make HE-1000 will make it look more high-quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back