Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 31, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #2,836 of 14,653
  Does anyone know if the he1000 will be shipping with any extra goodies - like a carrying case, stand etc?

Word on the street is Fang wants to keep costs down, so the HE1000's will be  shipped in a Fedex-type bag, with the cable wrapped around the headphones to provide a modicum of protection from the animals at UPS.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #2,837 of 14,653
And, here I thought he was wrapping them in fairy gossamer webs bathed in unicorn tears,

The outer cover is a suede made from partridge leather and filled with eider up (which is ten times as soft as eider down).

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #2,839 of 14,653
Heard them at CanJam and I have to say I left very disappointed. Had certain aspects that were better than my modded HE-6, but sounded very incomplete. Doesn't sound like something that is even close to production ready. Either that or the EF1000 is craptastic because I didn't get to borrow it from the booth to listen on familiar high-end rigs.

And their choice of demo music wasn't doing them any favors. Any vendor without Hell Freezes Over should not be attending meets, period.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,840 of 14,653
Quote:xf_eek:hrourami
 Any vendor with Eagles's Hell Freezes Over should not be attending meets, untill hell freezes over.

FTFY 
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #2,841 of 14,653

Price now announced at $2999. They seem a way off from being available for purchase, though, according to speedracer1's chat with Fang: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760443/the-all-new-hifiman-he1000-the-can-that-can-sans-rolex-thread/15#post_11455257

I think you misread Speedracer1's post.  He said that the EF-1000, the custom-built amp Dr. Fang recently developed to drive some speakers, is a long way off from production as Fang has to transform his one-off hand-built amp into something that is manufacturable.  He did not say anything about the release date of the HE-1000.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,842 of 14,653

EF6 and HE1000 should be under 5K. If this is better than BHSE with SR009 at 10K+, that is incredible.

What I'm wondering though is does the ef6 synergize with the he-1000? From the research that I have done the he-6/ef6 was not reviewed well...erm the lcd's seem to synergize much better with the ef-6. Does the he-1000 have enough darkness to it that the ef-6 loses it's bright "ice pick in the ear" tendencies?

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,843 of 14,653

More laid back and diffuse if I had to describe it in two ways.

Not how I would've described the SR-009 before though.   Overall, the SR-009 has a softer edge on everything.  It's still extremely quick and articulate, and THE best electrostatic I've ever heard when it comes to bass and the openness of it's soundstage, especially when paired with the Blue Hawaii.

But the HE-1000 sounds to be on another level altogether.  

The HE-1000 definitely needs a top notch amp to be at it's best, but isn't that the case with pretty much any Summit-Fi Cans?  :wink:

The EF-1000 has a ways to go before being complete.  It has it's issues, I'm getting a very low level hum and hiss noise when there's nothing playing.  Can only hear it when it's dead quiet, but I'm being picky, as the EF-6 is dead quiet with the HE-1000.  

Edwood,

I agree "The HE-1000 definitely needs a top notch amp to be at it;s best".  But I'm wondering what the "minimum" power requirements for this headphone? Would you venture a guess?

-Speed 

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,844 of 14,653
Other half of the HE1000 / 009 comparison chiming in!

Having listened to the HE1000 several times at CES, I knew the headphone was going to be a strong contender near the top end of the food chain. It had the dynamic, palpable bass of other top planar magnetic headphones with a level of speed and detail that seemed to rival electrostatics.  However, no direct comparison with other top headphones was possible at the time.

In this post SoCal CanJam listening session, Edwood and I were able to compare the latest HE1000 prototype and EF1000 with the Stax SR009 and Headamp BHSE (both with stock tubes).  We also had the Hifiman EF-6, HE-6, and HE-560 on hand for comparison (not pictured).  Source was an Ayre QB9 DSD DAC playing FLAC from a PC.

I went into the comparison expecting the HE1000 to prevail in bass performance and suitability for rock and electronic music, and the SR009 to prevail in detail and airiness, and suitability for classical and acoustic music, as has been the typical split between dynamic/orthodynamic and electrostatic headphones over the years.

So I started by going straight for the gusto, playing a high-res version of Beethoven's 9th.  I started with the SR009, then changed to the HE1000, and was surprised to find the latter presenting more micro-detail with a more present, "live" sound.  Instruments were better fleshed out with the HE1000, whose imaging made the SR009 sound somewhat diffuse by comparison.  I would say the SR009 soundstage was broader and deeper, but less precise, while the HE1000 presentation was closer to the listener, and taller, but more pinpoint.

On the comparison went, through rock, metal, EDM, and movies, and the initial findings remained quite stable throughout.  The HE1000/EF1000 consistently produced more micro-detail, more tangible bass, and a more holographic (if smaller/closer) soundstage than the SR009/BHSE, resulting in the overall impression of a more "live" or present sound from the HE1000 and a more diffuse/relaxed sound from the SR009.

In short, those who find the SR009 too "live" or present, and prefer the SR007, will likely not be candidates for the HE1000, as it is even more so.  I never really thought I would hear a headphone to make the SR009 sound relaxed or diffuse by comparison, but the HE1000 does just that.  The top-to-bottom fantastic detail and phase-correctness of the HE1000, combined with its' tactile bass (as opposed to the merely audible bass of 'stats) makes an extremely exciting listen, with a sense of closeness to the source material that I haven't heard before in a headphone.

Now, don't this to mean more than it really does.  The SR009 is still an INCREDIBLE headphone, and listening to it in isolation is as rewarding as it ever was before.  However, when heard next to the HE1000, it becomes clear that the bleeding edge has advanced forward, at least in some ways.  This is all still very much at the margin, and on a technical level the HE1000 likely performs no more than a few percentage points better than the SR009, however, those small gains, this far out on the curve of diminishing returns, do result in more tangible rewards for listening pleasure than their mere numbers would indicate.  To be clear, I am NOT stating that the HE1000 "blows away" the SR009, rather that it has incremental gains in certain areas that resulted in a more enjoyable listening experience for me.

I did compare the EF1000 and EF6 using the HE1000, and found them generally to be extremely close in technical performance, however, I found the EF1000 to be a more involving listen, for no particular reason I could put my finger on.  Magical tube harmonics? Placebo? Wishful thinking? Who knows, but the EF1000 seemed to produce a sound worth its' (substantial) weight.  I will be interested to see how it performs as a speaker amp, as it would be a boon for such a large amp to be an all-in-one.

Comparing the HE6 to the HE1000, the old flagship sounds a bit slow and blurry, particularly in the bass, where the speed of the HE1000 is quite impressive indeed.  The HE6 and HE560 both sound diffuse in imaging when compared to the more pinpoint HE1000.  I would say the overall sonic balance of the HE1000 lies somewhere between the bassier HE6 and warmer midrange of the HE560, coming in relatively neutral with just a smidge of warmth to the midrange.

In summary, I was rather surprised that the HE1000 did not just hold up to, but surpassed the SR009 at some of the latter's most well-known strengths. There is without question a presentation/flavor difference between the two that would doubtlessly lead some to pick one over the other regardless of technical abilities. Hopefully the production HE1000 and EF1000 will maintain at least this level of technical performance, and we will all welcome a new premier headphone system to the bounty of options now on the market.  Now, more than ever before, it's an amazing time to be a headphone audiophile, and with all those working to improve headphones, I don't doubt that we will continue to see gains like this at the high end.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2,845 of 14,653
  Edwood,

I agree "The HE-1000 definitely needs a top notch amp to be at it;s best".  But I'm wondering what the "minimum" power requirements for this headphone? Would you venture a guess?

-Speed 

If you want to play it safe, I'd say anything that drives the HE-6 well will be good enough, considering that the HE-1000 is more efficient than the HE-6.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #2,846 of 14,653
Is anyone able to chime in on the physical pad depth of the HE1000?  i'm mainly particularly interested in the depth of the pad in the rear section behind the ear.  Was it deeper or shallower than on the SR-009?

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #2,847 of 14,653
Iron_Dreamer,

thanks for sharing detailed impressions of your comparison, obviously much more useful than short listenings in crowded meeting conditions with an unknown or unfamiliar music program.
I only heard the earlier prototype of the HE1000 at the NYC meet with Dr. Bian. Also there (without any direct comparison) I noticed a similar level of detail resolution but the sound stage was exactly between my ears, not around my head as with the HD800. Has this effect been eliminated or improved? Can you refer to this in head localization effect that I describe?

Another issue I had was loss of defining character in acoustic double bass, I could not recognize the distinct wooden character of the instrument on a Cassandra Wilson track that Dr. Bian had on his source laptop. Dr. Bian stated in a conversation to me that for him e.g. the Stax makes cello sound like viola and that the sound stage of the HD800 is unnatural. Of course he is designing the HE1000 and fine tuning it and given his preferences it not likely that the HE1000 will end up sounding like the SR009 or HD800 but these 2 points are for me personally critical must have properties. In head localization drives me nuts and accuracy to natural timbre of instruments is the core of high fidelity, it's very meaning ... even more so in high end.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #2,848 of 14,653

If you want to play it safe, I'd say anything that drives the HE-6 well will be good enough, considering that the HE-1000 is more efficient than the HE-6.

Unless you have a really nice pair of passive speakers I think the ef-1000 might not be useful. There are already some good amps out there that are quite a bit less than ef-1000. Just guessing but tube wise the fosgate, apex peak volcano, and allnic specialize in low ohm. SS I have yet to try a first watt but glowing reviews from people whose ears I trust.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #2,849 of 14,653
  Other half of the HE1000 / 009 comparison chiming in!

Having listened to the HE1000 several times at CES, I knew the headphone was going to be a strong contender near the top end of the food chain. It had the dynamic, palpable bass of other top planar magnetic headphones with a level of speed and detail that seemed to rival electrostatics.  However, no direct comparison with other top headphones was possible at the time.

In this post SoCal CanJam listening session, Edwood and I were able to compare the latest HE1000 prototype and EF1000 with the Stax SR009 and Headamp BHSE (both with stock tubes).  We also had the Hifiman EF-6, HE-6, and HE-560 on hand for comparison (not pictured).  Source was an Ayre QB9 DSD DAC playing FLAC from a PC.

I went into the comparison expecting the HE1000 to prevail in bass performance and suitability for rock and electronic music, and the SR009 to prevail in detail and airiness, and suitability for classical and acoustic music, as has been the typical split between dynamic/orthodynamic and electrostatic headphones over the years.

So I started by going straight for the gusto, playing a high-res version of Beethoven's 9th.  I started with the SR009, then changed to the HE1000, and was surprised to find the latter presenting more micro-detail with a more present, "live" sound.  Instruments were better fleshed out with the HE1000, whose imaging made the SR009 sound somewhat diffuse by comparison.  I would say the SR009 soundstage was broader and deeper, but less precise, while the HE1000 presentation was closer to the listener, and taller, but more pinpoint.

On the comparison went, through rock, metal, EDM, and movies, and the initial findings remained quite stable throughout.  The HE1000/EF1000 consistently produced more micro-detail, more tangible bass, and a more holographic (if smaller/closer) soundstage than the SR009/BHSE, resulting in the overall impression of a more "live" or present sound from the HE1000 and a more diffuse/relaxed sound from the SR009.

In short, those who find the SR009 too "live" or present, and prefer the SR007, will likely not be candidates for the HE1000, as it is even more so.  I never really thought I would hear a headphone to make the SR009 sound relaxed or diffuse by comparison, but the HE1000 does just that.  The top-to-bottom fantastic detail and phase-correctness of the HE1000, combined with its' tactile bass (as opposed to the merely audible bass of 'stats) makes an extremely exciting listen, with a sense of closeness to the source material that I haven't heard before in a headphone.

Now, don't this to mean more than it really does.  The SR009 is still an INCREDIBLE headphone, and listening to it in isolation is as rewarding as it ever was before.  However, when heard next to the HE1000, it becomes clear that the bleeding edge has advanced forward, at least in some ways.  This is all still very much at the margin, and on a technical level the HE1000 likely performs no more than a few percentage points better than the SR009, however, those small gains, this far out on the curve of diminishing returns, do result in more tangible rewards for listening pleasure than their mere numbers would indicate.  To be clear, I am NOT stating that the HE1000 "blows away" the SR009, rather that it has incremental gains in certain areas that resulted in a more enjoyable listening experience for me.

I did compare the EF1000 and EF6 using the HE1000, and found them generally to be extremely close in technical performance, however, I found the EF1000 to be a more involving listen, for no particular reason I could put my finger on.  Magical tube harmonics? Placebo? Wishful thinking? Who knows, but the EF1000 seemed to produce a sound worth its' (substantial) weight.  I will be interested to see how it performs as a speaker amp, as it would be a boon for such a large amp to be an all-in-one.

Comparing the HE6 to the HE1000, the old flagship sounds a bit slow and blurry, particularly in the bass, where the speed of the HE1000 is quite impressive indeed.  The HE6 and HE560 both sound diffuse in imaging when compared to the more pinpoint HE1000.  I would say the overall sonic balance of the HE1000 lies somewhere between the bassier HE6 and warmer midrange of the HE560, coming in relatively neutral with just a smidge of warmth to the midrange.

In summary, I was rather surprised that the HE1000 did not just hold up to, but surpassed the SR009 at some of the latter's most well-known strengths. There is without question a presentation/flavor difference between the two that would doubtlessly lead some to pick one over the other regardless of technical abilities. Hopefully the production HE1000 and EF1000 will maintain at least this level of technical performance, and we will all welcome a new premier headphone system to the bounty of options now on the market.  Now, more than ever before, it's an amazing time to be a headphone audiophile, and with all those working to improve headphones, I don't doubt that we will continue to see gains like this at the high end.

Wow the EF1000 and EF6 were close in technical performance? I wouldn't be surprised though. The EF6 is an engineering masterpiece. Beats amps that are 3-4x the price range especially since it's designed to drive his own headphones. $1500 is asking way too little for the EF6!

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #2,850 of 14,653
I think you misread Speedracer1's post.  He said that the EF-1000, the custom-built amp Dr. Fang recently developed to drive some speakers, is a long way off from production as Fang has to transform his one-off hand-built amp into something that is manufacturable.  He did not say anything about the release date of the HE-1000.

Thanks. Corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back