Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #2,821 of 14,653

how would you describe the sound and experience between the SR009 with Blue Hawaii and the HE1000 with the regular amps you tried? thanks

More laid back and diffuse if I had to describe it in two ways.

Not how I would've described the SR-009 before though.   Overall, the SR-009 has a softer edge on everything.  It's still extremely quick and articulate, and THE best electrostatic I've ever heard when it comes to bass and the openness of it's soundstage, especially when paired with the Blue Hawaii.

But the HE-1000 sounds to be on another level altogether.  

The HE-1000 definitely needs a top notch amp to be at it's best, but isn't that the case with pretty much any Summit-Fi Cans?  :wink:

The EF-1000 has a ways to go before being complete.  It has it's issues, I'm getting a very low level hum and hiss noise when there's nothing playing.  Can only hear it when it's dead quiet, but I'm being picky, as the EF-6 is dead quiet with the HE-1000.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,822 of 14,653

Overall, the SR-009 has a softer edge on everything.  It's still extremely quick and articulate, and THE best electrostatic I've ever heard when it comes to bass and the openness of it's soundstage, especially when paired with the Blue Hawaii.

The HE-1000 definitely needs a top notch amp to be at it's best, but isn't that the case with pretty much any Summit-Fi Cans?  :wink:

The EF-1000 has a ways to go before being complete.  It has it's issues, I'm getting a very low level hum and hiss noise when there's nothing playing.  Can only hear it when it's dead quiet, but I'm being picky, as the EF-6 is dead quiet with the HE-1000.  

The Pass Labs INT-150 is patiently awaiting..

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,823 of 14,653
On another note, the new mini jack cable connectors are a lot nicer to deal with than the older mini coax ones.  Already witnessed someone tripping on the HE-1000's cable at CanJam and it saved the HE-1000 from being flung really hard onto the floor.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,824 of 14,653
@Edwood

Have you heard the previous CES prototype of the HE1000, if yes can you describe any differences to the current one?
How would you describe the sound stage vs the HD800?
I had listened to the HE1000 at the NYC mini meet and although the HE1000 was able to convey fantastic level of detail and lots of ambient information for that matter, I had a distinct inside the head (exactly between the ears) localization effect.

I am not really getting what you have mentioned in your previous post
quote[The most noticeable difference between the HE-1000 and others like the SR-009, is that the HE-1000 had the least amount of your typical left right phasing separation sound effect that you can hear.  It's difficult to explain until you hear it for yourself.  There's a kind of reflected echo that you hear in the furthest left and right sides.   It is almost completely absent with the HE-1000.] 

Another point: Have you heard any acoustic double bass recordings on the HE1000? I had an issue - or better I could not identify the wooden character of the instrument via the HE1000. Lots of bass but loosing characteristic qualities of acoustic instruments.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,825 of 14,653
  @Edwood

Have you heard the previous CES prototype of the HE1000, if yes can you describe any differences to the current one?
How would you describe the soundstage vs the HD800?
I had listened to the HE1000 at the NYC mini meet and although the HE1000 was able to convey phantastic level of detail and lots of ambient information for that matter, I had a disctinct inside the head (exactly between the ears) localization effect. I am not really getting what you have mentioned in your previous post.

Another point have you heard any acoustic double bass recordings on the HE1000? I had issue - or better I could not identify the wooden character of the instrument via the HE1000. Lots of bass but loosing characteristic qualitites vs e.g. the HD800.

Yes, I heard the CES prototype.  Too much time has passed for me to draw any real conclusions, other than nothing really standing out in a negative way.  
I don't have a pair of HD-800's so I can't do a direct comparison at this time.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,827 of 14,653
Great pic wow that's some nice gear!  Could you please describe exactly what you mean when you refer to "the phasing on the HE-1000 is the best I've ever experienced as well.  Could you please describe this in terms of sound differences / improvements?

Thank you and sincerely,
-Speed

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,828 of 14,653

Not how I would've described the SR-009 before though.   Overall, the SR-009 has a softer edge on everything.  It's still extremely quick and articulate, and THE best electrostatic I've ever heard when it comes to bass and the openness of it's soundstage, especially when paired with the Blue Hawaii.

EF6 and HE1000 should be under 5K. If this is better than BHSE with SR009 at 10K+, that is incredible.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,830 of 14,653
  Great pic wow that's some nice gear!  Could you please describe exactly what you mean when you refer to "the phasing on the HE-1000 is the best I've ever experienced as well.  Could you please describe this in terms of sound differences / improvements?

Thank you and sincerely,
-Speed

Phasing effects soundstage and imaging mainly.  But mainly imaging is what I'm referring to.   I was responding mostly to a comment of the HE-1000's being possibly out of phase, which is not the case in the ones I've heard.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2,831 of 14,653
One of the great benefits of the synergy between the SR-009 and HeadAmp BHSE, is that it seems to be less fatiguing to listen to for longer periods of time.  The HE-1000 is quite a bit more aggressive in dynamics.   The HE-1000 is by no means shrilly / sibilant prone with certain recordings.  

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #2,833 of 14,653
  Does anyone know if the he1000 will be shipping with any extra goodies - like a carrying case, stand etc?

prob not honestly going by hifiman's previous products, but would be sweet.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #2,834 of 14,653
Well, seeing as this new thread for the HE-1000 seems to be very active, I'll just leave my impressions here from CanJam that I posted earlier in the other non-locked HE-1000 thread.

Just went to CanJam today, and listened to the HE-1000 again (after listening to it for the first time at CES). It still sounds excellent, pretty much like what I remember from CES in terms of detail retrieval, soundstage, and overall technical ability. So I'll just refer people to my CES impressions if they want more details on what I think about the HE-1000. Here's the post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/225#post_11197631

However, I will note that the tuning seems to have changed a bit since I heard it at CES. The HE-1000 seems to have been tuned to be a bit warmer, which is what I heard and what Fang Bian confirmed to me when I asked him about it there. However, you still have that Hifiman sound, so that you means you still have a well-extended treble and definitely not Audeze sound.

I was also very lucky to be able to listen to the HE-1000 with the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil combo. First off, I'm going to say that while I thought the Schiit combo was good, it's not going to make current owners of other high-end gear be very jealous. Don't get me wrong, the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo sounded very good, excellent even, but to me did not sound really better than any of the other high-end combos that I heard at CanJam (for example, to me it didn't sound any better paired with the HD-800 or the Ether than those same headphones paired with the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold paired with some really expensive DAC that I forget the name of). Also, the HE-1000 sounded really, really bright with the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil combo (to the point of being harsh at times in my opinion). However, if I look past that, I found the HE-1000 paired with the Schiit combo to be really, really good. With well-recorded music, once again there was this realistic layer to the sound that no other headphone at the show (with the exception of the SR-009 paired with Frank's amp) could really come close to. I especially remember some kind of orchestral/chorus track that I randomly picked at the Schiit table, and I was pretty impressed with what I heard in terms of actually feeling like being in the actual concert hall for such a thing. I think a lot of people will be extremely pleased with the HE-1000/Schiit combo, but personally I found the HE-1000 to pair better with Hifiman's EF-1000 amp (which is warmer but still not lacking in detail, and much closer to my tonality preferences). I do wish that I could've plugged in the HE-1000 into one of the Cavalli Audio amps (which I was extremely impressed with), but Mr. Bian wanted to keep the HE-1000 in the room where Hifiman was, and so I respected his wishes.

Once again, the HE-1000 impressed me a lot. To be honest, I'm actually starting to think that it's actually worth the $3000, because I have heard the Abyss (back at CES) and have heard the SR-009 (here at CanJam) and I don't think the HE-1000 is lacking in any way compared to either of those headphones.

Also, does anybody know why the other HE-1000 thread was locked?

Also, @jelt2359 I noticed that you happened to haven't put up my impressions from CES (which are how I still mainly feel about them even after listening to them at CanJam) in the first post. Would it be ok for you to put them up? They are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/225#post_11197631

Also, this was a comparison between the HE-1000 and the Abyss: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/420#post_11208746

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,835 of 14,653
  Well, seeing as this new thread for the HE-1000 seems to be very active, I'll just leave my impressions here from CanJam that I posted earlier in the other non-locked HE-1000 thread.

Also, @jelt2359 I noticed that you happened to haven't put up my impressions from CES (which are how I still mainly feel about them even after listening to them at CanJam) in the first post. Would it be ok for you to put them up? They are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/225#post_11197631

Also, this was a comparison between the HE-1000 and the Abyss: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/420#post_11208746

Done! Added all 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back