HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #946 of 1,218
1. Unless all of the original tooling exists and could be acquired, producing it exactly as it was would be an expensive process and not 100% guaranteed to actually work, especially if you're trying to reverse engineer it rather than having access to the original designs

2. Companies generally want their own intellectual property that they control for financial security

3. Most companies capable of doing it aren't as shameless as Hifiman and would probably dismiss the project as ethically dubious from the start, regardless of legality.

4. I haven't heard the R10, so maybe it is a truly magical experience and I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I bet its rarity and legend are a big part of why its so highly regarded and I'm skeptical that a new production run that measured exactly the same would be as well-received.
2. Sony's MDR-R10 patents expired long ago, so whatever those patents taught is in the public domain for anyone to make, use, or sell. The exclusionary benefit that Sony enjoyed when those patents were in force has long since been extinguished.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #947 of 1,218
2. Sony's MDR-R10 patents expired long ago, so whatever those patents taught is in the public domain for anyone to make, use, or sell. The exclusionary benefit that Sony enjoyed when those patents were in force has long since been extinguished.

Exactly my point. A company coming along now and putting money into copying the R10 rather than directing that money to R&D for a product for which they'll control the IP means that another company can come along at any time and make their own copy of the R10 in turn, potentially blowing up your time and money investment. Much better to create an original design that you own.

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #948 of 1,218
Some people complain about the supposed “wonky” tuning on the Hifiman R10P. Supposedly the Sony version is also tuned in a “wonky” way.

I don’t find the Hifiman to sound bad at all, despite its supposed non traditional tuning. I also don’t want all headphones to sound the same either, so I like that the Hifiman version is a different flavor of sound.

If it is the case that the Sony is also non-traditional in tuning (I have not listened to it myself), maybe the Hifiman is more similar to the Sony than some may think :thinking:

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #949 of 1,218
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #952 of 1,218
Looks like the HE-R10P is dead.....

Awaiting revival...
Yeah but what is really and truly special about them? Haven’t heard much talk about them even on YouTube. 🧐

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #953 of 1,218
I thought the R10D was an interestingly colored low-fatigue headphone. The price didn't match the technicalities but it was fun going through my music collection and seeing how each artist took to them. The coloration in question was a strongly hyped upper-mid with dynamic woody bass. Very lively & liquid. Unfortunately far enough from neutral that I didn't love acoustic/classical with them, and much too slow for metal. I left them interested in hearing other 'woodies' as I suspect the Hifiman was laying it on thicker than the competition(based off others' impressions comparing to phones I am familiar with.)

It's difficult for me to flatter them but I listed to them exclusively when I had them(with my Audeze 2C Closed collecting dust.) I think this was a mix of the fatigue factor, the good staging performance, and the sheer 'one more song' factor of listening to something that's trying to sound unique.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #954 of 1,218
Yeah but what is really and truly special about them? Haven’t heard much talk about them even on YouTube. 🧐
A closed back with high resolution, a large soundstage, and can be driven well over Bluetooth with the BlueMini. I think it’s the best Bluetooth headphones you can buy (well, I guess it should be with the cost).

I like to think of it as the headphones that get the closest to being a sort of closed back Susvara. The Susvaras are different and better, but you can tell they’re in the same family. Plus, the Bluetooth option is amazing. It’s so nice to get high quality sound in a wireless setup, especially when working

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #956 of 1,218
A closed back with high resolution, a large soundstage, and can be driven well over Bluetooth with the BlueMini. I think it’s the best Bluetooth headphones you can buy (well, I guess it should be with the cost).

I like to think of it as the headphones that get the closest to being a sort of closed back Susvara. The Susvaras are different and better, but you can tell they’re in the same family. Plus, the Bluetooth option is amazing. It’s so nice to get high quality sound in a wireless setup, especially when working
They are amazing in my opinion. A lot better than the Stellia in every way and on par with L5000 in detail.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #958 of 1,218
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #960 of 1,218
http://www2.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2249486&extra=&page=1

Saw this last December. Seems like a common price if not further negotiable.
Thanks. I’m not sure it is real, but if it’s not a knock-off, this is something people should buy. I translated the page and there appear to be a lot of questions about the authenticity. I read that people think it’s a refurbished unit or simply fake. There’s no box. I’m skeptical, but if it’s real, then it’s a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back