HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Nov 1, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #916 of 1,210
images (5).jpeg20211022203135127.jpg
If someone thinks that could be a coincidence, take a look at the packaging :laughing:
Why? As a professional graphic/packaging designer it doesn't seem ripped off to me. Do you say this is because both have colored writing on a black box with studio shot of a headphone showing off the cup finish? That's hardly an original design idea and there are only so many ways to design a headphone box. Most are black or white so they look modern and there are only so many ways you can go from there.

As for the cup finish, sure it looks inspired by the th900's paint but it is much more orange and looks more like regular metallic paint as opposed to the custom hand flaking/vanishing they do on the fostex. Also, if the prices I've been seeing online are to be believed, at 1/3 the price they aren't even in the same league.

Anyway, I could see why people took issue with the cup shape of the HE-R10 copying the old Sony design (although it never bothered me because Sony obviously didn't care enough to keep using it or renew it so it's fair game, imo), but this new R9 headphone is quite different from Th900 as far as I'm concerned.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #917 of 1,210
Ok. You don't see it then. I would not think much of it either if it were some random headphone. But it's not. It's a evolution of a design allready based on copying others manufacturers designs. Besides r10's angled cup there is propably no other design factor with wooden closed back headphones that is as well known as those red urushi lacquered cups on th900. There is 0% change that Hifiman did not think of Fostex with that design. And of course it does not look exactly like Fostex cup finish. Just enough to make it resemble th900. And going for a look more like Fostex would be expensive.

I checked erji.net (Chinese headphone forum) and the thread made it to fourth message when resemblance to th900 was pointed out. It would be silly to think that Hifiman is so oblivious of their competitors that they did not notice that the paint on R9 makes it look like TH900. After R10 one could think last thing they would want to do is copy another famous headphone design. Stuff like that does not happen by accident.

Still...it's just paint. So not that big of a deal. And it does look nice. I would just prefer if they had ounce of innovation and design something that looks good without borrowing their designs from someone else.

As for the box...well, red cups with red text. I get it. That could happen. And red headphones in a black box. Sure, there will be resemblance.

EDIT: I'm allready regretting I started this discussion. I don't want this to be a sequel to what this thread was at the beginning. I hope there will be a proper thread for R9.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #918 of 1,210
If the R9 has the bass of the th900s, I’m probably going to buy them. The th900s are my favorite mid-fi headphones, due to being easy to drive and the tremendous bass. If Hifiman can keep the same sound as the th900s, and make them wireless, that’s a winner in my book. 🤷‍♂️

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #919 of 1,210
If the R9 has the bass of the th900s, I’m probably going to buy them. The th900s are my favorite mid-fi headphones, due to being easy to drive and the tremendous bass. If Hifiman can keep the same sound as the th900s, and make them wireless, that’s a winner in my book. 🤷‍♂️

I've definitely been critical of Hifiman for their shameless ways, but honestly I've enjoyed the Deva Pro with the Bluemini so much that if they can get 90% of the way to the sound of the TH900s but bluetooth AND cheaper I'd have to give the R9 some consideration. I need a new closed-back.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #920 of 1,210
I wanted the R2R BlueMini for my R10P, but didn’t want to buy the Deva Pro to get it. I contacted Hifiman and asked to buy the R2R BlueMini separately. They said yes, and that it costs $199. The Deva Pro costs $329. I’m not sure if it would have been a better idea to buy the Deva Pro and then sell the headphones without the R2R BlueMini. :thinking:

Regardless, my R2R BlueMini should arrive sometime next week. I’ll do a direct comparison with the standard BlueMini. I expect a sound quality increase, though I’m not sure exactly how drastic it will be.

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #922 of 1,210
Quick impressions of the R2R BlueMini. I like it more than the original BlueMini. It’s crazy how the R10P sounds over Bluetooth with both units. I’m going to further compare the original BlueMini with the R2R, but the R2R appears to be worth the extra money off my early impressions

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #924 of 1,210
Any comparisons between R10D and R10P? I know P has more resolution but what sound signature and stage?
I think this guy tried both models and compared them. Try to look around that post and the next posts.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #926 of 1,210
I’m so impressed with the R10P. I’m surprised it’s getting hardly any notice especially considering how popular the Susvara is. Any comparisons between it and the Stealth?
I'm not surprised at all.
The R10P is by far the most expensive closed back, while looking extremely cheap at the same time.

Haven't heard anything negative about the sound but the appearance to price disparity is huge.

The Susvara at least looks and feels like a summit fi headphone.

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #927 of 1,210
I'm not surprised at all.
The R10P is by far the most expensive closed back, while looking extremely cheap at the same time.

Haven't heard anything negative about the sound but the appearance to price disparity is huge.

The Susvara at least looks and feels like a summit fi headphone.
I kinda like the way it looks actually 🤷‍♂️

It also doesn’t get the attention it deserves because early discussion focused around Hifiman copying Sony’s cup design. It seemed like nearly everybody disliked that. Also, the headband design is similar to their $300 headphones (though it is better leather). The headphone design was probably chosen because it hides the right headphone cable and allows for the BlueMini to work. On first glance though, many see the R10P price tag and then get a bad taste in their mouths when they see the same headband design as their much, much cheaper headphones

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #928 of 1,210
I kinda like the way it looks actually 🤷‍♂️

It also doesn’t get the attention it deserves because early discussion focused around Hifiman copying Sony’s cup design. It seemed like nearly everybody disliked that. Also, the headband design is similar to their $300 headphones (though it is better leather). The headphone design was probably chosen because it hides the right headphone cable and allows for the BlueMini to work. On first glance though, many see the R10P price tag and then get a bad taste in their mouths when they see the same headband design as their much, much cheaper headphones
At least the design part is changed. When is that updated version releasing?

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #929 of 1,210
At least the design part is changed. When is that updated version releasing?
Good question. I’m not sure. It seemed from the CanJam posts that they were going to release it soon, but that hasn’t happened. It looked to be a finished product from the pictures, so I don’t know what’s going on.

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #930 of 1,210
Pre-owned R10P can be found in Chinese market for about $1,500. The depreciation of Hifiman flagships are just insane.:deadhorse:

Cannot imagine the feelings of those who bought them at more than $5k........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back