HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Dec 12, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #931 of 1,218
After listening to this headphone I’m seriously wondering whether or not this indeed was some kind of sarcastic joke on Hifiman’s part….because wow. Holy moly!
Put up against the DCA Stealth and you quickly realise one of those is tuned properly whilst the other sounds like music emanating from some kind of submersed bathtub speakers.
Even with the updated build quality Hifiman are still so way off sound wise that it literally boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #932 of 1,218
After listening to this headphone I’m seriously wondering whether or not this indeed was some kind of sarcastic joke on Hifiman’s part….because wow. Holy moly!
Put up against the DCA Stealth and you quickly realise one of those is tuned properly whilst the other sounds like music emanating from some kind of submersed bathtub speakers.
Even with the updated build quality Hifiman are still so way off sound wise that it literally boggles the mind.
Considering r10p and susvara all MSRPed for around $6k, something must be off when sus sells for $4k used and r10p only goes $1.5k used in China. Even with Susvara being the older model.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #934 of 1,218
Anyone heard both he r10p and the original Sony mdr r10?some impressions?i own the original R10 and I think is he best for dynamic resolution,space,air,3D,natural sound and soundstage in general;I modified them putting inside new magnet and some dynamat inside the cups.they’re fenomenal.
I would be curios compare my r10 to the he-r10 planar speed

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #935 of 1,218
Anyone heard both he r10p and the original Sony mdr r10?some impressions?i own the original R10 and I think is he best for dynamic resolution,space,air,3D,natural sound and soundstage in general;I modified them putting inside new magnet and some dynamat inside the cups.they’re fenomenal.
I would be curios compare my r10 to the he-r10 planar speed
I own the R10P. In my opinion the R10P is not very fast. I would describe it as warm, vast and detailed. The bass is big and deep with some decent impact (especially for a planar). The bass is a little lush and not dry which leads to it not feeling very fast. The upper mids are where most of the detail is. That area is elevated quite a bit and bears the planar timbre. The upper mids prevent it from sounding dark. The highs are recessed but still carry good detail. This is one of the most detailed headphones I have heard it is flagship level and competes with my Utopia and Mysphere 3.1. The soundstage is the widest I have heard on a closed back. The instrument separation contributes to the vastness and is in line with good planars. It’s a gem of a headphone especially if you want something warm and detailed - not many headphones like that.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #936 of 1,218
My friend, I think you don't use the correct amp for them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #937 of 1,218
If you want warm and detailed, which many people do want, the R10P is tuned well indeed. Not everybody likes Harmon tuning.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #938 of 1,218
I do love me some Harman target tuned headphones. That is not what the R10P is all about though…not even remotely so.
This is basically what an old school planar tuning with large humps in the bass and mids (but never in the right places!) looks and sounds like. The Harman target needs uppermids or indeed pina gain in order to fly.
1641061548138.jpeg

Oh and Pablo, I see what you did there my friend! Naughty boy😛

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #939 of 1,218
I do love me some Harman target tuned headphones. That is not what the R10P is all about though…not even remotely so.
This is basically what an old school planar tuning with large humps in the bass and mids (but never in the right places!) looks and sounds like. The Harman target needs uppermids or indeed pina gain in order to fly.
1641061548138.jpeg

Oh and Pablo, I see what you did there my friend! Naughty boy😛
The R10P to my ears does sound like the graph indicates, but like I said if you want warm mostly relaxing and detailed here it is. I find it quite unique and enjoyable. My only issue is that occasionally the upper mids on some tracks disrupts the warm and relaxing mood. If I was to get one headphone this would not be it, but as a collector and someone seeking unique and enjoyable experiences the R10P stands out as a worthy purchase but not at the asking price. I got mine for 3K.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #940 of 1,218
I wonder if Hifiman will:
1. discontinue this headphone or
2. fix it. Fixing- means not only cosmetically- but perhaps the tuning as well.
3. Lower the price substantially.

One or more of the above must be done to save this headphone from being the biggest embarrassment in flagship headphones ever. This headphone was really a bomb unfortunately even though many say it sounds quite good.

I think the cosmetic fix up will help- but we need a serious price drop as well if there is any chance for revival.... Perhaps $2000?

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #941 of 1,218
This never happened in Hifiman's history regarding their high end section. At least not to such an extreme degree. What might happen is a true successor for the same MSRP.
I still wonder why the new dual-entry, HEK headband style version never resurfaced again after that exhibit.

Doubt there's much embarassment. People also buy 7k headphones with wonky mids and praise them to heavens.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #943 of 1,218
One can already buy one in China for less than 2k brand new. The price of this thing needs to drop overseas.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #944 of 1,218
I do not understand why someone does not copy the original Sony R10 EXACTLY like it was?

It was and remains one of the most respected flagship headphones in history. The patent expired- so just reproduce it EXACTLY like it was.

A 1:1 copy aesthetically and sonically. I think it will be very popular...

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #945 of 1,218
I do not understand why someone does not copy the original Sony R10 EXACTLY like it was?

It was and remains one of the most respected flagship headphones in history. The patent expired- so just reproduce it EXACTLY like it was.

A 1:1 copy aesthetically and sonically. I think it will be very popular...

1. Unless all of the original tooling exists and could be acquired, producing it exactly as it was would be an expensive process and not 100% guaranteed to actually work, especially if you're trying to reverse engineer it rather than having access to the original designs

2. Companies generally want their own intellectual property that they control for financial security

3. Most companies capable of doing it aren't as shameless as Hifiman and would probably dismiss the project as ethically dubious from the start, regardless of legality.

4. I haven't heard the R10, so maybe it is a truly magical experience and I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I bet its rarity and legend are a big part of why its so highly regarded and I'm skeptical that a new production run that measured exactly the same would be as well-received.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back