HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #976 of 1,218
I wish that I"m in one of the major city so I could have some local source to test this out. Heard once the orignal Sony R10 and absolutly stunning. If someone can spend 5k on these why can't spend a bit more to get a Sony?

Any thought?

Hype + new product means people buy without listening. Manufacturers send early units to people who always provide positive feedback so as a product is being "released" they create a lot of buzz with positive feedback from a bunch of reviewers who say "oh my gud it's amazing". People buy it. As people buy it, more negative reviews come out, people realize it's not the next best thing, sell the headphone and move one. It's the head-fi cycle. So it goes.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #977 of 1,218
Hype + new product means people buy without listening. Manufacturers send early units to people who always provide positive feedback so as a product is being "released" they create a lot of buzz with positive feedback from a bunch of reviewers who say "oh my gud it's amazing". People buy it. As people buy it, more negative reviews come out, people realize it's not the next best thing, sell the headphone and move one. It's the head-fi cycle. So it goes.
This is so true.

It’s hard to find a good pair, and if it breaks you can’t get it repaired by Sony. That said, the ES-R10 replica looks to be a good alternative at like $2000. I’m still considering it myself. I like the R10P, but haven’t heard the R10D. I’ve never heard the original Sony, but I’m curious. Part of me thinks it’s just nostalgia and myth, but admittedly I can’t verify that
I agree. I was reading some previous post said it does 80% of the original and I was like, no I won't' pay 4k for that. I'd like to try the look though.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #978 of 1,218
I own a R10 and two words:
Simply perfect.
Immediately bought from es labs identical sponges foam.
Paid 270.00 € LOL

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #980 of 1,218
@Halimj7

You could never ever compare the two.

Why?

The R10P has a planar driver. Over-ear, earpads and tuning way different.

The original has a dynamic Bio-cellulose driver. On ear earpads.
RGgukq5E6HBS5wvERDA3ZF4P2WKQy2VoZZet1QV2KCqRuD4EuQokG992bNoEKmkKzPtcnTUd5bAE3yTibHn8DrrkxTfFS...jpeg

The R10P is smooth, balanced and modern sounding.
The original is bright, revealing, euphoric, huge soundstage.

They literally do not sound at all the same.
20210305_221054.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #981 of 1,218
@Halimj7

You could never ever compare the two.

Why?

The R10P has a planar driver. Over-ear, earpads and tuning way different.

The original has a dynamic Bio-cellulose driver. On ear earpads.
RGgukq5E6HBS5wvERDA3ZF4P2WKQy2VoZZet1QV2KCqRuD4EuQokG992bNoEKmkKzPtcnTUd5bAE3yTibHn8DrrkxTfFS...jpeg

The R10P is smooth, balanced and modern .
The original is bright, revealing, euphoric, huge soundstage.

They literally do not sound at all
And for your taste,for your listening pleasure,wich one do you prefer?

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #982 of 1,218
@kiling92

Its kind of known or it should be. The Sony MDR R10 is the greatest headphone ever created.

I heard over 7+ R10s, from 2xx,3xx,4xx,5xx,6xx,8xx,10xx,11xx etch... One of the very rare people here that heard the most R10s.
I do not care about any other headphone beside the R10 to a certain degree. Only STAX or Sennheiser keeps me interested, with respect to a few other companies.

I actually will get jealous if someone else heard more R10s than me :) Some R10s sounds different. From bass heavy to light to ring foam disintegration to cable mods.
I am disappointed by Hifiman. I kept my anger and rage posting to a limit on what they have committed. So, that's my answer. The sound is a pass but everything else is a disgrace.

Listening pleasure will be technically the HE90 or 007MK1. This is when electrostatic wins for me.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #983 of 1,218
@kiling92

Its kind of known or it should be. Its greatest headphone ever created.

I heard over 7+ R10s, from 2xx,3xx,4xx,5xx,6xx,8xx,10xx,11xx etch... One of the very rare people here that heard the most R10s.
I do not care about any other headphone beside the R10 to a certain degree. Only STAX or Sennheiser keeps be interested, with respect to a few other companies.

I actually will get jealous if someone else heard more R10s than me :) Some R10s sounds different. From bass heavy to light to ring foam disintegration to cable mods.
I am disappointed by Hifiman. I kept my anger and rage posting to a limit on what they have committed. So, that's my answer. The sound is a pass. But everything else is a disgrace.

Listening pleasure will be technically the HE90 or 007MK1. This is when electrostatic wins for me.
Oh wow how's possible you heard all those r10!!I'm actually jealous 🙂 I heard my nr. 133 and another one nr. 127
When I bought mine after some hours playing the sponges literally were destroyed..i try to change them with other new,but the sound definitely is not the same..i hope those labs sponge work like the original,but I agree about Hifiman situation..it's a disgrace, a real shame for hifiman

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #984 of 1,218
I agree about Hifiman situation..it's a disgrace, a real shame for hifiman
Yea, its a bloody shame.
This is one of the saddest pictures I ever seen.
His obsession and jealousy of the R10 is his own defeat.

rr1o00.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #985 of 1,218
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #986 of 1,218
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #988 of 1,218
@Ciggavelli
@omega1990

Provide some nice pics on it. I might pick up one too 🤔
Will do. Also for a quick update for the he-r10d. I've burned them past 50hrs. So far the presentation sounds a little wider than it seemed initially, but the imaging is a bit janky. Playing music on other closed backs present instruments left to right in a straight horizontal line as though they are all on the same stage together. The he-r10d however presents sounds all over the place. What was heard on other headphones as left-center-right can now be heard a little above my head. Its a rather wonky way to present things. Its like some of the instruments are playing on a raised platform and the farthest sounds are being shrunken. So as the drivers interact with the cups, if the sound is appearing closer to my head it has more verticality to work with but if it is a sound appearing at the somewhat pointed tips at the end of the cups its kinda shrunken sounding since there is less room for the sound to work with.

The presentation has a glass like appearance and imaging has plenty of space between instruments because of the cups, but I'm not sure the advertised advantages of the cups are worth the tradeoff of having sounds appear all over the place. Also the sounds that might appear in the distance might be easier to recognize compared to other closed backs but that does not necessarily translate to having more detail or resolution, it is simply easier to pick out what you want to focus on.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #989 of 1,218
@omega1990

Would love if you compare all the wood and closed back headphones you have in your collection against each other too. Especially the W11JPN 😜

Also, you should make a new ES lab R10 thread. You getting it first.

Looking forward.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #990 of 1,218
It's funny how everyone was mocking Hifiman for copying the R-10.

I have said all along that their error was not copying the Sony R-10 but rather not copying it EXACTLY. Finally someone has done it; ES Labs.

If it really sounds like the Sony R10- it will be a HUGE hit. Why not copy one of the greatest headphones ever which sells used for $8,000 and sell it for $1,600? The patent expired.

GREAT MOVE. GREAT PRICE!!! If it really sounds like the SONY R-10 no one will care if they reverse engineered it and are copycats. It will be a huge hit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back