HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Nov 28, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #526 of 1,218
The sound leakage isn't great to hear, but I'm not aware of many TOTL closed phones that seal extremely well. The blatant copying of the R10 is kind of annoying, but not a deal breaker. So despite that, as much as I love the Susvara, I'm definitely interested in hearing these, especially given some of the early descriptions of the sound.

What's probably going to stop me (at least until they roll around used or unless I can get a deal through a dealer) is the subpar physical quality at a $5k price point. Just from the unboxing video alone they look really cheaply made. The wood cups look cheap, the swivel for the cups looks awfully cheap and the headband just ok. Now having the Susvaras, I know this type of build quality isn't atypical of Hifiman, but it's extremely annoying. Like I said, I'll eventually try/own a pair but quality to price point ratio looks absurd imo.

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #527 of 1,218
The sound leakage isn't great to hear, but I'm not aware of many TOTL closed phones that seal extremely well. The blatant copying of the R10 is kind of annoying, but not a deal breaker. So despite that, as much as I love the Susvara, I'm definitely interested in hearing these, especially given some of the early descriptions of the sound.

What's probably going to stop me (at least until they roll around used or unless I can get a deal through a dealer) is the subpar physical quality at a $5k price point. Just from the unboxing video alone they look really cheaply made. The wood cups look cheap, the swivel for the cups looks awfully cheap and the headband just ok. Now having the Susvaras, I know this type of build quality isn't atypical of Hifiman, but it's extremely annoying. Like I said, I'll eventually try/own a pair but quality to price point ratio looks absurd imo.
Some great points made. I wish I could see we your face as you were listening to these though!

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #528 of 1,218
Some great points made. I wish I could see we your face as you were listening to these though!

Lol yea the sound is the one thing I don't doubt. Pretty sure I'll have or try a pair at some point.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #529 of 1,218
UPDATE: The Hifiman HE-R10 has now been announced! These are Hifiman’s first closed back headphones and appear to be highly influenced by the Long discontinued Sony MDR-R10.

This post will be updated as new information is released.

The announcement video:

The earlier teaser video:

The HE-R10P version is now on Hifiman's website here:

https://hifiman.com/products/detail/307

Very nice!!!🥰🥰

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #530 of 1,218
Some impressions, you can't get them from anyone else at the moment, so I know I need to give something back here being the first.
I hope you've seen both vids, they give you an insight that won't be here necessarily.
Given that you've done that, I have the Planars on my head now. I suspect that when you get these, like me, you'll forget about the controversy and concentrate on the music. The headphones will force you to do that anyway. It feels difficult to criticise the sq of the R-10 P. I'm trying everything I can think of to throw annoying tracks at these cans. And they keep me wanting to reach for them.
It's gonna be a wrench when they have to move on. I will recover. Life will go back to normal.
The poison that's currently feeding my brain is that I keep comparing these to the Susvara, and some of the gains from the Susvara seem to be levelling out. And I cannot have that. This cannot be

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #531 of 1,218
Some impressions, you can't get them from anyone else at the moment, so I know I need to give something back here being the first.
I hope you've seen both vids, they give you an insight that won't be here necessarily.
Given that you've done that, I have the Planars on my head now. I suspect that when you get these, like me, you'll forget about the controversy and concentrate on the music. The headphones will force you to do that anyway. It feels difficult to criticise the sq of the R-10 P. I'm trying everything I can think of to throw annoying tracks at these cans. And they keep me wanting to reach for them.
It's gonna be a wrench when they have to move on. I will recover. Life will go back to normal.
The poison that's currently feeding my brain is that I keep comparing these to the Susvara, and some of the gains from the Susvara seem to be levelling out. And I cannot have that. This cannot be

I know this is may not be your intention, but you are hyping us up! An aside, are the pads swappable?

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #532 of 1,218
Easy solution for your Problem.
Buy them when the loaner pair has to go, or order them now so that you maybe even have your own by the end of the loaner Tour.

I'm quite hyped about these now, and that's what I Intend to do if they Impress me as much as they Impress you

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #534 of 1,218
Easy solution for your Problem.
Buy them when the loaner pair has to go, or order them now so that you maybe even have your own by the end of the loaner Tour.

I'm quite hyped about these now, and that's what I Intend to do if they Impress me as much as they Impress you
I get criticused for being too picky as a reviewer more often than not. When it comes to sound, I know what I like. When it comes to headphones I've spent way too much time with way too much gear to need to feel the need to exaggerate sq- in any way. Why would I need to? I have a good job. This is a hobby for me. I want to give you my honest opinion, but I reserve the right to get excited about a product!
If only we could get a nicer headband, a bit more polish on the cups, a free bluemini module, a carry case. But these are the 1% things. The rest is ready.

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #537 of 1,218
How am I being offensive? I just asked because it looks like you’re reading as your speaking

It’s rare to see a reviewer read from a teleprompter and I’m sorry if this was taken with such offense

Is this wrong to ask?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #538 of 1,218
How am I being offensive? I just asked because it looks like you’re reading as your speaking

It’s rare to see a reviewer read from a teleprompter and I’m sorry if this was taken with such offense

Is this wrong to ask?
Not at all.
You're totally within your right to ask such a question.
It's not offensive in the slightest.

Truly baffling...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back