HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #556 of 1,218
Are there music genres or songs that you prefer on the R10P vs the Susvara? You mentioned you preferred the bass of the R10P over the Susvara but what about mids and treble? Does the Susvara have any advantage at those frequencies?
Yes, this is interesting to me too.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #557 of 1,218
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #559 of 1,218
He mentioned he was sent the phones as loaner for evaluation. I wouldn't be surprised if he buys the planar though, it seems to be the one to get.
Sorry, I missed that. That would be a huge cash outlay to get both.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #560 of 1,218
Takeanidea,
You say this is the best closed back you have ever heard. but I didn't hear anywhere where you mention which this other closed back headphones you are comparing to are, so this makes this statement useless for us. please list which other closed backs you have heard (in a similar environment).

And I’m asking because you mentioned you are a fan of the ATH-W1000. And it reminded me that the Legendary reviewer David Mahler (Back in the good old days when reviewers would review their own personal headphones out of pure passion with zero in return) in his well done legendary post which has been an agreeable benchmark for many headfiers and headphone enthusiasts for many years, ranked an ATH-W5000 at number 58 out of 58.

Here's the link:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared.634201/

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #561 of 1,218
And I’m asking because you mentioned you are a fan of the ATH-W1000. And it reminded me that the Legendary reviewer David Mahler (Back in the good old days when reviewers would review their own personal headphones out of pure passion with zero in return) in his well done legendary post which has been an agreeable benchmark for many headfiers and headphone enthusiasts for many years, ranked an ATH-W5000 at number 58 out of 58.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared.634201/

That’s a good point. I google’d reviews for ATH-W1000 and most reviews are not really in favour of W1000.

That being said, I highly appreciate his impressions, and it’d be wonderful if @Takeanidea can outline a more detailed comparison with the Susvara, breaking down into each section of the frequency range, what sort of music genre used to evaluate the HE-R10, and so on.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #562 of 1,218

Here's the link:

Ehh.. If the W5000 was ranked 58 out of 58 from THAT list of headphones (most of which I have owned), it would easily disqualify the most of the reviewers' opinion for me. Very easily.. which I think speaks to the danger of putting too much stock into a single person's opinion. And that danger/risk increases when talking about brand new headphones that have only been heard by 1 or so ppl do to the hype factor alone (and at times affiliation).

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #563 of 1,218
You have to find one person to believe in and that person had better be you.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #564 of 1,218
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #565 of 1,218
Ehh.. If the W5000 was ranked 58 out of 58 from THAT list of headphones (most of which I have owned), it would easily disqualify the most of the reviewers' opinion for me. Very easily.. which I think speaks to the danger of putting too much stock into a single person's opinion. And that danger/risk increases when talking about brand new headphones that have only been heard by 1 or so ppl do to the hype factor alone (and at times affiliation).
These are meant to stand up to the original Sony R10 and we’re comparing them to the W1000?

Stating that they are the best headphones ever without any objectivity serves no purpose aside from hype.

Can’t help but feel for the people who buy at release, too much of a gamble for my blood. I have the feeling they will probably be on the FS forum soon for a deep discount

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #566 of 1,218
These are meant to stand up to the original Sony R10 and we’re comparing them to the W1000?

Stating that they are the best headphones ever without any objectivity serves no purpose aside from hype.

Can’t help but feel for the people who buy at release, too much of a gamble for my blood. I have the feeling they will probably be on the FS forum soon for a deep discount

I think they were just comparing the dynamic version which seems like it's much less refined given the price difference vs. planars? Idk, but it's still a 'R10 contender' so I hear you.

Also agree with the rest. Knowing the Susvara does give me a bit more openness to it, but I agree.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #567 of 1,218
Spent some more time with the D and the P today, but remember, these are just impressions, they are no substitute for listening yourselves. Neither are they intended to be exhaustive or definitive.
The D. It does sound better than the W1000Z. I understand that doesn't mean much to those of you who don't have a W1000Z. It's been my reference closed back Headphone for a few years now. The difference between the two; the D has more bass, more slam in the bass, as well as more accurate sounding bass. The stage feels closer and more precise on the D, the Z feels further away and harder to pinpoint instruments. The voice of Bruce Springsteen on "The River"was more visceral. It had more discernable gravel in it, which was not evident on the Z. There is leakage on both headphones, roughly the same. Classical Music is harder to follow in the same room where other things are going on.
The P has nothing closed back I can compare it to. It is too far ahead in price and performance from the D. The only thing I have as an A/B comparison is the Susvara. Each time I put the 2 up on a head to head I'm divided as to which I prefer. Do I prefer the smoother Susvara or the more precise P? The bass is less noticeable on the Susvara than on the RE-10. The sound stage is closer on the RE-10. The RE-10 and the Susvara don't need the same level of amping. I am using the Amp module on the A380 at 104/120 volume on high gain and the unbalanced headphone out of the AK A380 at 94/120

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #568 of 1,218
Well, anything has more bass than the W1000z so I'm still in the dark here. I also find the AT a bit thin and pinched, probably due to the lack of solidity in the bottom. I think the Z1R might be a better reference.

Also, why does it cost an additional $3750 to put planar drivers into the same cups?

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #570 of 1,218
Also, why does it cost an additional $3750 to put planar drivers into the same cups?

Why does any of their higher-end models cost thousands of dollars, considering the build quality?

There's your answer. Just like every other model, little correlation between materiel choice and pricing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back