HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #467 of 1,218
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #468 of 1,218
These look nice. I don't really care about the copy cat bollox yeah it's in poor taste but whatever.

My main issue with Hifiman in general is the never improving QC. Since the HE-6, HE-500 days I'd actually say their QC has gotten worse.

One thing I'll always praise fang on outside of his aggressive business man style is his tuning and sound philosophy. He makes crap sound good, his Ananda was by far the best planar under 2k I've heard for tone, depth, layering, micro detail all in one but the QC is disappointing. I've no doubt both these new models will sound good but the concern is the same, are they built to last? I have every reason to believe they won't. I do look forward to trying them.

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #470 of 1,218
I've reached out to my dealer for an update. Hifiman is still finalizing the cup design, they are pouring a lot of effort into this to get it just right. Apparently my order is at the top of the list! When I get my pair in, I'll be sure to update y'all.
Do you know if the headband design is final? It looks a little out of place.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #472 of 1,218
Does anyone know the manufacturer or sale of this phone stand?

1605761591475.png

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #473 of 1,218
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #474 of 1,218
As a original Sony R10 owner its very sad to see Hifiman copying the R10 and making a fake one, I used to respect hifiman being one of the most innovative and advance company in making hi-end headfi product but not anymore.
1606096741434.png

Hifiman not only copied the style, material, housing and internal chamber design of the R10 but also copy its name calling it the HE-R10 and mentioned the following in front of press , "I know people out there will accuse us of copying Sony. This product is not paying homage to Sony's design. Sony and I are competitors. Homage or not, all we should care about is making good product. Even though Sony owns more market share, Sony won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. "
I understand copywrite is a concept which is not well understand in China especially with non educated people, but what happening now sure marks one of the darkest page within Hifiman's company history. the hifiman guy have a phD and call himself Dr.

Not to mention this fake R10 is price at more or less the same as their Susvara...I would rather see they come out with a close back version of their Susvara or even close back Shangri-La which I will defiantly be interested on buying but not anymore...

I am will not comment on how they sound as I haven't heard them but I bet they sound awesome with hifiman proven record, however, the sprit and philosophic behind this product should deserve criticize.

I believe the true value of Sony R10 are not how they sound, but the collecting value of it being a 30odd years
antique headphone and price at such a high price back in the 1980s where head-fi is not yet a popular hobby similar to the sennz He90 or STAX SR-omega/T2.
If I don't have enough money to buy the original I rather not to own any, and is the will to own the original which set people a target and help them to achieve even more. But sadly, many don't understand the process which matters more than the result.

I am sure I will feel ashamed if I am seen wearing a hifiman r10 which is basically a (legal) counterfeit consumer goods.
Like those LV bags with the logo printed XL which is very popular in china but illegal in many civilise country and the rest of the free world.

1606097115585.png
1606097140267.png
1606097184585.png

1606098063664.png
1606098106413.png

Shanzhai (山寨R10) is a Chinese term literally meaning "mountain fortress" or "mountain village" whose contemporary use usually encompasses counterfeit, imitation, or parody products and events and the subculture surrounding them.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #475 of 1,218
As a original Sony R10 owner its very sad to see Hifiman copying the R10 and making a fake one, I used to respect hifiman being one of the most innovative and advance company in making hi-end headfi product but not anymore.
1606096741434.png
Hifiman not only copied the style, material, housing and internal chamber design of the R10 but also copy its name calling it the HE-R10 and mentioned the following in front of press , "I know people out there will accuse us of copying Sony. This product is not paying homage to Sony's design. Sony and I are competitors. Homage or not, all we should care about is making good product. Even though Sony owns more market share, Sony won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. "
I understand copywrite is a concept which is not well understand in China especially with non educated people, but what happening now sure marks one of the darkest page within Hifiman's company history.

Thank you for posting this
You couldn't have put it better and the majority of Head-fi wholeheartedly agrees with you

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #476 of 1,218
Looks like production will start sometime in October (at least a month away), the Hifiman team is evaluating the wood being used for the earcups. It may be a while until we see substantive evaluations or even first impressions on these headphones.
I have the Planar and the dynamic versions arriving today

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #477 of 1,218
Nice, finally useful info incoming.

Hope you can get us some pics from them with packaging, and then in the upcoming days some first listening impressions

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #478 of 1,218
Nice, finally useful info incoming.

Hope you can get us some pics from them with packaging, and then in the upcoming days some first listening impressions
You'll get first impressions today

Also, I'm not a huge fan of closed back headphones..... I have a pair of ATH W1000Z, they are the only premium closed backs I've thought were worth buying

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #479 of 1,218
You'll get first impressions today

FYI, you should disclose that you’re a (professional?) reviewer for Hifiman so people understand that this is most likely not an impartial review.

To confirm, people can check your previous posts on your Profile page

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #480 of 1,218

Meow, that’s impressive! I am excited to see some production ready units, and of course your impressions.
Is your unit a review loaner, or did you pre order?

edit: Looks like Autocorrect strikes again! Meant to say ‘wow’, not ‘meow’ lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back