Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #121 of 634
I actually did think the D8000 had a very dynamic presentation when I auditioned it on 3 or 4 rigs @ CanJam NYC. And why I'm looking to hear what those having experience with both that and the he-6 think. I 'imagine' the he-6 to be a kindred spirit with a much lower cost of entry; but do not really know and am looking to find that out.
No it's not totally up to par.
Mainly the Signature is thicker which does not give impression of either size or clarity of a top can (Susvara,hekv2,hd800,Abyss Phi)

The D8000 I've heard are more intimate, a bit too intimate for my taste. Not "in-your-face" levels, but still a tad too close. Friend owns a pair and he said, that changes with a decent aftermarket cable, but I haven't had a chance to find out. The sound is darker, very clean, but not sterile, very smooth
The darker sound is a preference, but its not as lively either, although it does seem very good overall.

At this level, unhappiness only comes upon comparison to a better can like those I mentioned.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #122 of 634
At this level, unhappiness only comes upon comparison to a better can like those I mentioned.
Ekhm, let's not kid ourselves, stock HD800 aren't at the level of the other cans You've mentioned, unless we're looking only at the soundstage for some reason. That 6khz is a nasty thing. Then again, You don't seem to like to have Your gear in stock condition :o2smile:
By the way, the photos of Your Little Dot are out of this planet :ksc75smile:

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #123 of 634
The HEX V2’s are simply awesome period.
Like most cans, they are awesome untill you compare to something "Better", but usually "better" is just "different" when reaching that high a level.

And then there is "first impressions" over "long-term" listening, where you see if you can actually live and settle with that headphone's "personallity" character...

Ekhm, let's not kid ourselves, stock HD800 aren't at the level of the other cans You've mentioned,
Ha yep true it has flaws but also top level potential..
It also way cheaper...

Moral of story:
Do not listen to better if you cant afford at the time, because you will end up dissapointed in what you currently have lol
Unless you can live with dissapointment
:)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #124 of 634
What I don't get, is why they staying with same model number for the HEKse.
It does not give impression of much improvement.
Let's hope it does.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #125 of 634
Like most cans, they are awesome untill you compare to something "Better", but usually "better" is just "different" when reaching that high a level.

And then there is "first impressions" over "long-term" listening, where you see if you can actually live and settle with that headphone's "personallity" character...

At their current price of $899, I haven’t heard better. They’re very balanced, easy to drive, have a big soundstage, are comfortable, and are very detailed. I also own the HEK V2, Sennheiser 800S and have heard the Utopia. The HEX V2 hold their own, again, especially at their price point.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #126 of 634
What I don't get, is why they staying with same model number for the HEKse.
It does not give impression of much improvement.
Let's hope it does.

I completely agree. A neodymium magnet does not warrant $500. That’s not extra R&D. That’s just greed. It should cost the same as V2 unless they use real trickle down tech like the Susvara stealth magnets, which is what the Hong Kong poster said they were going to do. But they didn’t.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #127 of 634
I completely agree. A neodymium magnet does not warrant $500. That’s not extra R&D. That’s just greed. It should cost the same as V2 unless they use real trickle down tech like the Susvara stealth magnets, which is what the Hong Kong poster said they were going to do. But they didn’t.
Neodymium is like the strongest,
but there are still different strengths and quality.

Not all neodymium is same even if rated same,
because of the manufacturers cheating.

That's why American companies are better for sourcing quality neodymium.
Thats only My experience (when ordering custom magnetic structures) though.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #128 of 634
Neodymium is like the strongest,
but there are still different strengths and quality.

Not all neodymium is same even if rated same,
because of the manufacturers cheating.

That's why American companies are better for sourcing quality neodymium.
Thats only My experience (when ordering custom magnetic structures) though.

I completely agree Neodymium is a stronger magnet and an improvement. But that type of magnet has been around for decades. I was just saying that it’s not new technology therefore wouldn’t be a high cost for R&D. So because of that, Hifiman’s pricing for the V3 is ridiculous. You can buy $60 headphones with neodymium magnets inside.

Here’s the important question. Hifiman claims it took years of R&D to develop the original HEK. In all of those years, why didn’t it occur to them that the HEK needed more powerful magnets to control those drivers? Why did they use cheaper/less powerful/less efficient magnets in the V1 and then charge $3000 for them? So Fang is smart enough to manufacture materials on a nano-scale but can’t analyze an uneven/uncontrolled frequency response due to insufficient magnets?
I’m fine with the better magnets. But the new asking price is just stupid. And any owners of the V1 and V2 be damned by yet another incremental tech improvement that should have already been implemented in the V1.
Hifiman makes great sounding headphones. But their business model and practices can suck it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #129 of 634
Neodymium has been around for a long time. If used in speakers the main advantage is lower magnet weight to achieve the same magnet field. In planar headphones the magnet weight does not matter much anyhow. I believe the HEKSE will just sound different from the HEK V2, but not better. Hifiman would not want it to sound as good as the Susvara :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back