HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #7,516 of 21,868
I just tried putting some J$ Beyer leather earpads on my HE-6. Wow, it's like superimposing the rumbly bass of the LCD2, while maintaining the edge of the HE-6. Who ever heard of a U-shaped ortho eh? Pretty fun sound. 

I needed a dust cover for the J$ pads though, so I rigged one up with a nylon stocking glued onto the plastic retaining ring that holds the pads. I can toss some pics up if anyone's interested.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #7,517 of 21,868
pic's please

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #7,519 of 21,868
Quote:
They feel uncomfortable when you initially put them on, but I'm not getting any earpinch pain that I usually get, or neck fatigue which I expected from such a heavy can, in hindsight they're not uncomfortable at all over-time.

If you're using the velour pads, squashing the HE-6 against your head really helps with comfort for me. They tend to hold their shape, and when squashed a bit they mold and seal around my ears.

The most comfortable I've gotten my HE-6 to be was with the LCD3 pads; I could actually wear them longer than my HD800 because of the good weight distribution and no jaw-line pressure whatsoever (which the HD800 has a tiny bit after a few hours)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #7,520 of 21,868
Quote:
I just tried putting some J$ Beyer leather earpads on my HE-6. Wow, it's like superimposing the rumbly bass of the LCD2, while maintaining the edge of the HE-6. Who ever heard of a U-shaped ortho eh? Pretty fun sound. 

I needed a dust cover for the J$ pads though, so I rigged one up with a nylon stocking glued onto the plastic retaining ring that holds the pads. I can toss some pics up if anyone's interested.

I use a pair of Stax pads and I REALLY like the bass kick on them now. Not to mention the stax pads are so much softer than the velour ones which helps a lot too

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #7,521 of 21,868
Quote:

Pics! Pics! Pics!

We expect high quality macro photos though.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #7,522 of 21,868
Quote:
pic's please

Click for larger pics...

retaining rings, super77 spray adhesive, and a nylon stocking

spray the adhesive, stretch the nylon, press the ring into it (an extra set of hands is helpful here)

let dry for a minute, and trim off the excess

while bringing up bass it also brought up the treble a bit (I suspect this is resonance due to the greater distance from the ear; I haven't auditioned this extensively yet), so I stuck a felt disk in under the pad (above the ring)

HE-6 w/J$ Beyer pads, next to a modded Foxtex T50rp w/J$ Beyer pads

powered off the Nuforce stack, from top to bottom:
speaker amp: Icon2 (using a speaker tap into 4-pin xlr)
dac: DAC-100
preamp: HAP-100

Ironically, the speaker amp is the smallest thing in the picture. It does a fantastic job though. I was using it as a standalone dac/amp for the HE-6 before getting the other toys. Fantastic size/price/performance ratio. I don't think you can find anything else that does all of that in such a small package

Quote:
I use a pair of Stax pads and I REALLY like the bass kick on them now. Not to mention the stax pads are so much softer than the velour ones which helps a lot too

I find the Hifiman pads just too stiff overall given the light clamp. All you need is a better seal and suddenly the bass comes right up.

I'm really liking the extra bass kick now too. I was almost set in my mind to sell these things, and now I'm hemming and hawing over it again...

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #7,523 of 21,868
Originally Posted by eltocliousus 

"I'm reviewing the HE-6s now, does anyone use anything other than the smallest headband size? Even the smallest is a little big for me."

If your aesthetic sensibilities are not too fastidious, a piece of foam one inch pipe insulation works fine. If you have a piece laying around, all the better. If you have to buy one, a six foot piece costs $1.39; enough for 12 or more fittings. Might be cheapest headphone accessory ever.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=24434-1410-P12XB%2f6&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3133247&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #7,524 of 21,868
i just have to share this!

I am sitting down feeding my daughter with my 2 day HE-6. I left the cans basically playing almost none stop from the time they came home -- with few breaks here and there for few min -- `off my onkyo receiver and the HE adapter to burn in. I am floored at how nicely they are opening up and actually starting to sound lush yet super detailed on this one track.  Is that even possible?! Is it legal? This really cannot be explained -- must be experienced. And I am not running them off any amazing amp. I cannot wait for what lays ahead of me on the HE-6 journey, after 300 + hours and a proper amp. 
dt880smile.png

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #7,527 of 21,868
need technical advice --
Can I damage my SPL Phonitor by using it on my HE-6? I know the Phonitor is made for higher impedance headphones, and I know that has implications for sound. However, I pugged the he-6 to the phonitor this morning and I am really digging the crossfeed function. Overall, the sound ain't that bad. Actually it is pretty good. Bass is a little sloppy and it sounds a bit thinner than driven off my speaker amp, but the staging is better and it is really overall quite enjoyable. Still I wonder whether there is anything that can get screwed up in the phonitor (or any other amp -- SS or Tubes) by driving loads it was not designed for? I have come across some discussion regarding this issue vis-a-vs tubes and the the answer was that it can mess things up, but that was on tube speaker amps -- not HP SS amps like the Phonitor . Also,  much of the dissuasion was laced with a lot of technospeak which I am not well versed in. I would appreciate a reply from knowledgable folks, and in English please. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #7,530 of 21,868
Quote:
Is it worth getting the HE-6 if I'll only be listening to itunes songs? Will I really need flac files for the he-6 to sound good, will I not be getting what I paid for by only listening to itunes songs?

i used to use the Sennheiser Orpheus with MP3s all the time, before lossless on computers was common.  it sounded great.  itunes will be perfectly fine

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back