HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #7,502 of 21,868
What you're facing here is the usual fission vs. fusion lynching party.  You've obviously made an effort to gather a few different variables and report on your findings and there's no harm in that, and neither is it something to shy away from.  What Preproman is so uneloquently saying  here, with the aid of unnecessary pictures, is that some of us have found success with high current, high quality speaker amps.  KG recently posted some thoughts on driving requirements when discussing the GSX a few pages back, I suggest you refer to that if you want an actual informed opinion.  Post your thoughts here when you finish your write up.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #7,503 of 21,868
Sphinxvc is correct.  

No more questions from me.  Carry on with the review, can't wait to read it.  

popcorn.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #7,504 of 21,868
Quote:
What you're facing here is the usual fission vs. fusion lynching party.  You've obviously made an effort to gather a few different variables and report on your findings and there's no harm in that, and neither is it something to shy away from.  What Preproman is so uneloquently saying  here, with the aid of unnecessary pictures, is that some of us have found success with high current, high quality speaker amps.  KG recently posted some thoughts on driving requirements when discussing the GSX a few pages back, I suggest you refer to that if you want an actual informed opinion.  Post your thoughts here when you finish your write up.

I'll definitely have a look at that, thankyou.
Preproman, are you certain that the extra electrons in your speaker amplifiers isn't simply expectation bias? Sometimes a bigger number can lead to a better sound.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #7,505 of 21,868
NO - I'm most certain.  

However, for you to be sure - just take the time and find a high quality speaker amp - low powered if possible so you have to use the HIifiman adapter.  They you can come back and report what you find.

Just make sure you don't expectation bias in the reverse.  If you know what I mean.  

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #7,506 of 21,868
I typed in the wrong page number and I ended up finding two separate interesting discussions, one starting here, and then the actual thing I was referring to starts here.  (The second just clarifies what was up in the air till then - efficiency). 

Anyone know if the GSX is the same as a super symmetry Dynahi?

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #7,508 of 21,868
I do like my HE6 out of a mini X speaker amp and it is better than my Mjolnir but my Mjolnir isn't terrible either. I think some headphone amps do a good enough job but the list of headphone amps that would do well on them isn't very long. I would be happy with the Mjolnir if I never heard better :)

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #7,509 of 21,868
Quote:
I do like my HE6 out of a mini X speaker amp and it is better than my Mjolnir but my Mjolnir isn't terrible either. I think some headphone amps do a good enough job but the list of headphone amps that would do well on them isn't very long. I would be happy with the Mjolnir if I never heard better :)

I agree. I was very pleased with the HE-6 and Mjolnir when I hooked them up back at the LA meet. I thought the Mjolnir was powerful, clear and detailed. However, I think the extra voltage and power of a speaker amp gives it a little more juice which really brings out the bass more than anything. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #7,510 of 21,868
Quote:

Rawster,
Is the mini amp your preferred amp for the he-6"s.

I've been using the mj/gng ,for the last few weeks ,with a Moon silver dragon v3 cable ,and find this setup excellent
Wondering ,if I should re-connect the mini-100,just to do an A-B comparison??

Any thoughts?

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7,511 of 21,868
Quote:
Rawster,
Is the mini amp your preferred amp for the he-6"s.

I've been using the mj/gng ,for the last few weeks ,with a Moon silver dragon v3 cable ,and find this setup excellent
Wondering ,if I should re-connect the mini-100,just to do an A-B comparison??

Any thoughts?

I think you should..

I had the Mj and the a-100 here this weekend.  I really could not tell the difference between the two.  We used the LCD-3/2 and the HE-6/500.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #7,512 of 21,868
I haven't compared the two but I prefer the mini X to the Mjolnir for the HE6. I would absolutely try reconnect and see for yourself if you find the same results. Of course we have different dacs but I find the mini X to be the better amp for this headphone. The only thing I like is that If I wanted to use the Mjolnir after the mini X I need to adjust the preamp function on my dac as I have it much lower when using the HE6 to have more volume control on the amp.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #7,513 of 21,868
Quote:
I haven't compared the two but I prefer the mini X to the Mjolnir for the HE6. I would absolutely try reconnect and see for yourself if you find the same results. Of course we have different dacs but I find the mini X to be the better amp for this headphone. The only thing I like is that If I wanted to use the Mjolnir after the mini X I need to adjust the preamp function on my dac as I have it much lower when using the HE6 to have more volume control on the amp.

Uh oh! Mike's going to be second guessing himself now! Time to bring out that ol' emotiva! 

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #7,514 of 21,868
Quote:
Uh oh! Mike's going to be second guessing himself now! Time to bring out that ol' emotiva! 

I already did,its been connected for an hour

One small problem,my banana plugs are Norse copper,my headphone cable is Silver,..dont know what the hell Im listening too?-only I could be this smart.-DAA!!
Will have to cancel my order with Helix?,no need to have Frank make me a cble,I make my own.--Jesus?

Anyway,Rawster,your right about the bass,it is much stronger

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #7,515 of 21,868
Quote:

Glad it's working out for you.  All I noticed between it and the Stratos were mostly some spatial differences, minor other diff, but I don't think it would have been as apparent on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back