HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7,531 of 21,868
I'm wondering if this amp would be too much power: http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master10/Master-10EN_Specs.htm

I calculated the output to be 40W @50ohms. Might want to get one later down the line...

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #7,532 of 21,868
I think it's thereabout right for the HE-6
smily_headphones1.gif
Their power requirements are understated, as I was made to understand..

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #7,534 of 21,868
Quote:
Really, it might be kinda high.  Look at these,  they are some of the best amps to use with the HE-6

Pass Labs,  First Watt,  Thresholds.

http://firstwatt.com/prod.html

Which First Watt amp is balanced with absolutely neutral sound signature?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #7,536 of 21,868
Quote:
All of them offer a little something different.  

Which is why I'm confused on which one would suit me...

If the Master-10 has too much power, can't I use resistors?

Maybe we should ask Fang how much is too much...

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #7,539 of 21,868
That was my next question! I was wondering if resistors will degrade or change sound quality. Why would it change the sound quality?

I'm a quiet listener so I don't think I'll ever crank the volume dial much. I think the highest I listen on my Marantz PM-84 is about 9 o clock and I usually keep it at 8.

I sent an email to Head Direct technical support. Does anyone have Fang's direct email?

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #7,540 of 21,868
I've been listening to the HE-6s for a few days now on the Beta22 and wow I knew they'd grow on me, the mids and treble, superb 
tongue.gif
I'm trying to get hold of an SPL Phonitor that Jude said paired with the HE-6s well, I doubt I'll be able to get any speaker amplifier I trust over Christmas, but it would have been nice to hear if all these cheaper speaker amplifiers really do the HE-6s well, especially the Icon2.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #7,541 of 21,868
Quote:
I've been listening to the HE-6s for a few days now on the Beta22 and wow I knew they'd grow on me, the mids and treble, superb 
tongue.gif
I'm trying to get hold of an SPL Phonitor that Jude said paired with the HE-6s well, I doubt I'll be able to get any speaker amplifier I trust over Christmas, but it would have been nice to hear if all these cheaper speaker amplifiers really do the HE-6s well, especially the Icon2.

The Icon2 does do a pretty good job! It's currently what I'm still using since I had to downsize on parts for college. I didn't want to move a giant DAC and amp!

I'm really surprised how good this small and cheap this thing sounded. You will need to make an adapter for it though.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #7,543 of 21,868
Quote:
Which First Watt amp is balanced with absolutely neutral sound signature?

Aleph series is different from X series in terms of engaging and sound design. FirstWatt is based on Aleph series it means smooth, softer similar tubes and X series is about dynamics, strenght and neutrality. This writing experienced members with speakers in my country. But truth is FirstWatt offer quite a lot models so at least one of them could have neutral sound signatrue, some expert on this amps or Nelson will advice you better.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #7,544 of 21,868
Quote:
Try a 50 - 60 wpc tube speaker amp using Tungsol 6550 smooth plate output tubes.

Tube sound would be the last thing I want.

Quote:

Aleph series is different from X series in terms of engaging and sound design. FirstWatt is based on Aleph series it means smooth, softer similar tubes and X series is about dynamics, strenght and neutrality. This writing experienced members with speakers in my country. But truth is FirstWatt offer quite a lot models so at least one of them could have neutral sound signatrue, some expert on this amps or Nelson will advice you better.

Sounds like X series would be more of what I like. Neutral and accurate is what I'm after.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #7,545 of 21,868
That's too bad, tubes just sound very musical, specially with the HE-6.

I've always said that the best amps for the HE-6, IMHO, are 50-60wpc speaker tube amps.
I have two.

I have to try those Duelund resistors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back