HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,846 of 21,868

Quote:
The speaker tap cable for the HE-6 arrived today.  They sound great attached to the back of the Leben CS300xs -  80-84db with the volume a click above 9 o'clock.  They are dead quiet, unlike the LCD-2 which had a low hum when attached to the Leben speaker taps.

Hi Mike - good news!  Do you find the sound is different from the speaker taps than from the headphone jack?

I'm certain the reason you years hum via the LCD-2 and not the HE-6 is the LCD-2 are 8 dB more sensitive, which will mean you will be more likely to hear any low-level hum or noise from the speaker outs.

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #1,847 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:
Wellllll, all I am trying to do express to other members that the WA6 will not work with the HE6 or not well enough to warrant the price of the HE6, the HE6 is a waist of money with the WA6 simple as that.
Matter of fact I know one member that is disappointed driving the HE6 with his EC ZDT.
I didn't say the WA6 sucked, I said my trick out WA6SE sucked when I tried the HE6, and as I am sure you know the WA6SE is a better amp and more powerful than the WA6.
The simple fact with the HE6 is they are a great and unique headphone if properly paired with other gears, and the WA6 is not a good match.

You are very good at writing long articles expressing your opinion, but when you start off writing about the WA6 being ok with the HE6 I stop reading because I find that to be a bit misleading. That said I am guessing that you didn't intend to mislead but simple miss worded what you your trying saying.

Maybe you are missing my point, the HE6 is not about how much volume you can pump into them its about power and being able to drive them properly.
wink_face.gif

Update, as you requested and out of courtesy to you I skimmed over part two.of your opinion. Some of your opinion I can't comment on because I don't have it. That said I do have the HD-800s (cardas cable) and I wouldn't use it as a comparison to the HE6s.
!st, most amp will power the HD-800s, most head amps will not properly power the HE6.
2nd, the HD-800 is a high imp, the HE6 is a low imp.
3rd, the HD-800s do not have the dynamic range of the HE6 or the speed or the clarity or the precise sound-stage of the HE6.
4Th, the HE6 has a different build design.
5Th, I find the bass to be equal to the mids and highs, very well balanced headphone. Now there maybe a few reasons why we differ about the bass. One being you do have to have well over 48 hours on the HE6 before it starts to come together. And it is very possible that the low volume level you like and the two head amps you use will not fully bring out the bass. Example, you use a Princes 274B in you WA6 and that is known to favor the mids and highs, probably not the best match for the HE6.

Also keep in mind that I am running a trick out WA5LE with a nos matched pair of WE300Bs (26/56), a nos matched pair of TSRP's CTL 6SN7GT ( 08/42 tested twice by the USN) and a pair of new designed EML 5U4G's. So what this means is that the combo of tubes i am using will bring out the best in the HE6. My point here is maybe the systems you are using are not optimizing the HE6, therefore make a headphone like the HD-800 a closer match for what you are hearing. Plus for M/C audio I am running that though my SVS Realiser using a copy of AIX's sound room with all there reference equipment.

However I guess we can both agree that the HE6 is a real winner.
smile.gif

I compared the HE-6 to HD800 because people want to know how they compare, but I too prefer the HE-6, even under-amped.  I'll address your 5 points, in my defense.

(1) I will not argue with point #1 that the HD800 are much easier to drive, and that you need a lot of power to reach the full potential of the HE-6.  My point is that with sub-optimal amplification I still preferred the HE-6 by a small margin vs a well amped HD800.  I would not tell someone with an HE-6 to go out buy a WA6 for them, but based on what I am hearing I would not tell a WA6 owner that they shouldn't buy and use the HE-6 while they save up for a better amp.  If they say they'll never upgrade the amp then sure, I'd tell them to pick another phone.  

But I have the HE-6 on my head right now as I type this, feeding them with Apogee mini-DAC > maxed WA6 (sophia princess 274b/Sylvania VT-231).  I have rested my ears for about 5-6 hours with no listening tonight, and I currently only have the volume knob at 12-1 o'clock for normal volumes.  I turned it up briefly to 5 o'clock and the sound remains clean, non-distorted and at moderately loud levels that I would not listen to for extended periods.  2 o'clock is about as loud as I want to go at this late hour.  In the past when I had been listening for long periods and had over-done the volume levels a bit, then 5 o'clock on the WA6 seemed too low as my ears clamped down and needed more volume.  Usually that is a warning sign that you are listening too loudly.  Ignoring the volume which is low but acceptable, the sound of the HE-6 with my WA6 is simply wonderful right now - I hear all the nuances and subtle details, with nice deep and full bass, rich mids, and sparkly treble, without having to crank the volume up to extract that from them.  If I want to rock out and blast, then the WA6 is inadequate.

As for where my maxed WA6 stands vs other amps that are better - I previously compared my WA6 to a WA22 that I had on loan for 2 weeks, and the sound signature was quite similar and both were very good.  Where they differed the most was that (1) the WA22 had both a wider and deeper soundstage, and (2) quite a bit more power (Sylvania 7236 tubes).  With my K1000 the ZDT was still a little more powerful than the WA22, and the ZDT had audibly better control over my low impedance LA7000.  So, I agree the WA6 is underpowered - the WA6 is the minimum that I would use to drive the HE-6 to normal volumes.  I'll get out my dB meter this weekend and see what I get out of this rig after I cut out a new cardboard baffle to seal the meter to the earcups.

(2) I assume that the implication in point #2 is that the difference in impedance will mean that each phone has different amplification needs, where the HD800 benefit from higher voltage swing and the HE-6 benefit from more current delivery.  I have no argument about that, but you can't be telling me that I can't compare a high impedance phone to a low impedance phone.  There are many amps that work well with both, such as my ZDT, SAC, EF5, and HDP.  The EHHA was another one, although I only had one on loan for 3 weeks.  My WA6 works well with both hi and low impedance, assuming that the phones are not horribly inefficient like the K1000 and HE-6.  The K1000 and HE-6 prototypes were a joke on the WA6, making the amp and phones useless.

(3) On the 3rd point I would say it's my opinion that the HD800 are still very fast for a dynamic and they have good dynamic range, with a very enjoyable soundstage outside of the head.  The HE-6 imaging is more pinpoint and precise but smaller, although I'm willing to live with it because the HE-6 are less fatiguing and more extended, balanced, and transparent sounding, especially at low volumes.  

(4) In terms of point #4, does that mean we can only compare the HE-6 to other orthos, and Stax only to other stats, etc?  

(5) As for the 5th point, I actually said the HE-6 "can be delicate with finesse and good detail at low volumes, without losing the bass presence or fullness and extension".  It was the HD800 and Senn HE-60 that I felt don't have full bass at low volumes, while the HE-6 do.  It appears we are in agreement in this area, and maybe you misread what I said.  

In my WA6 the Sophia 274b is not bass-lite at all, and what I love from the tube is a much bigger soundstage than I had with my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 or Mullard Metal Base GZ34 - those did have slightly better bass and midrange presence and fullness or warmth, at the expense of a more closed in soundstage with less sparkle in the highs.  The Sovtek 5U4G that came with my WA6 had a decent soundstage, but with artificial sounding mids and highs.  I do plan to try an EML rectifier some day, and maybe a nicer NOS 5U4G or 5V4G than a cheap Russian model, as I would like to see if that helps the HD800 bass any.  For now I have to use the HD800 with the ZDT to really enjoy them.

In reply to your question on point #4, of-course you can compare the HE6 to anything you want to. My guess is that the HE6 in a system like mine will compare closely to your WES using a pair of STAX SR-007MK2.

There is one thing I think you are missing and that is the use of my SVS Realiser as far as dynamic range and sound-stage goes when using a Blu Ray's DTS MA sound track. These sound tracks on the average are 5mbps so there is a lot of micro/detailed sound and they can have very large sound stage. The more hours I put on my HE6 the bigger and more refined/detailed and exacting the sound stage is becoming, now to the point that I most likely will have to amend my statement that the HD-800s has a bigger sound stage.
btw, I use a nos EML 5U4G solid plate and a nos matched pair of RCA circa 1963 6EW7 chrome dome with my max WA6SE. And yes the best headphone I have heard is my HD-800s and that includes my D7000s with my WA6SE. It does have a good range along with very nice highs, mids and lows also very good bass slam if you use a Cardas cable, but as I have said the HE6s are a much better headphone than the HD-800s when used with my WA5LE as per the reasons I have stated above.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #1,849 of 21,868
$600 for a balanced portable???? Whoa!
We used to say $400 was way too much for a portable amp.

While I heard it at the NYC Fall meet and at my house, and it sounded excellent, $600 is getting into boutique high end portability.
That price is going to turn away a lot of average consumers, especially when compared to the iBasso balanced amp/dac combo.

It did drive the HE-6 effortlessly, though. I was amazed. We have now gone from 33,000 µF cap technology to multiple tiny caps and resistors that have huge balanced output.

As Bob Dylan once said, "The Times, they are a changin' ".  The last 2 years seem to have been good for for the audiophile. We were stuck in a dead zone for 5 years, and now we have incredible sounding orthos, T-1's, HD-800's, P1000's, Edition 10's, D7000's, etc. 

We're back....baby.
I can't find the thread Kiatchai. Do you have a link?

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #1,851 of 21,868

My iPad > HE-6 rig

ALO's first HE-6/K1000 speaker tap adapter

It couldn't get any simpler and it sounds pretty sweet
smile.gif

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #1,853 of 21,868

Quote:
$600 for a balanced portable???? Whoa!
We used to say $400 was way too much for a portable amp.

In my case it's going to cost over $1K to buy and also to fully integrate it into my portable setup because of the need for the additional balanced adapters and interconnects, including the one to interface with the iBasso DB2 Boomslang and the Antelope Zodiac+ balanced DACs.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #1,854 of 21,868
OK well I found the quote about the ROC and HE6 - except it wasn't ! - sorry

Interesting and still relevant though

"I own the HE-5LE's and I also owned an Audio-gd Phoenix, the Pheonix did not drive the 5LE's well. I purchased a Schiit Asgard not really expecting a magic bullet, but the truth is that the Asgard made the Phoenix sound broken. The Asgard drives the 5LE really well, dynamic, full bodied, with good transparency and a nice sweet (but not syrupy) high end. So I sold the $1200+ Phoenix and kept the better sounding (at least with the 5LE's it does) $249 Asgard. So I sort of doubt that the Roc sounds better than the Asgard, because the Phoenix sure as heck doesn't."

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #1,855 of 21,868

Quote:

"I own the HE-5LE's and I also owned an Audio-gd Phoenix, the Pheonix did not drive the 5LE's well. I purchased a Schiit Asgard not really expecting a magic bullet, but the truth is that the Asgard made the Phoenix sound broken. The Asgard drives the 5LE really well, dynamic, full bodied, with good transparency and a nice sweet (but not syrupy) high end. So I sold the $1200+ Phoenix and kept the better sounding (at least with the 5LE's it does) $249 Asgard. So I sort of doubt that the Roc sounds better than the Asgard, because the Phoenix sure as heck doesn't."

Yes, and the Matrix BCL clone is better than the Asgard...so I am downgrading from my genuine BCL to a lowly Phoenix, when I should have upgraded to the Asgard?

Grain of salt.  I would buy the Asgard locally, but the local distributor charges $400 for the Asgard...when the Australian dollar is parity with the US.  I'm totally disenchanted with the Australian audio industry pirates.  Nevertheless, I believe the Asgard to be a good amp.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #1,856 of 21,868
Even without showing who you are quoting from, he may well likely be ,,, Yikes, right?

Some background study may always be helpful for reading posts. 
wink.gif

And I did have HE-5LE and returned it later because the imaging and sound texture is not my cup of tea.  (That is my background. 
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,858 of 21,868
Mine are on the way to me , had a cable reterminated to balanced and 2 pigtails (speaker tap adapters) made by headfier Hiflight.

Quote:
Where are people getting their speaker tap adapters from? Is a DIY as simple as snipping the wire before the XLRs off, and binding them to the speaker posts/banana plugs?

-Daniel

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,860 of 21,868
I hacked up the included SE adapter from HiFiMAN and used it until the other one came, it worked great:

I just cut the 1/4" plug off the SE adapter and labeled the wires with red/black electrical tape. I would at least tin the wires but I am going to put the 1/4" plug back on instead since I have the other speaker adapter now. Make sure you have a meter to verify which wire is what, and some good wire strippers handy (I didn't obviously lol), and a bit of super glue as well to make the tape ends stay stuck.

edit: If anyone that doesn't have a multimeter wants to trade me their unadulterated 1/4" adapter for this one pm me, it would save me the trouble of re-assembling it. I can guarantee that it is labeled correctly and will include the 1/4" plug I cut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back