HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 11, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #1,861 of 21,879

Quote:
"I own the HE-5LE's and I also owned an Audio-gd Phoenix, the Pheonix did not drive the 5LE's well. I purchased a Schiit Asgard not really expecting a magic bullet, but the truth is that the Asgard made the Phoenix sound broken. The Asgard drives the 5LE really well, dynamic, full bodied, with good transparency and a nice sweet (but not syrupy) high end. 

The HE-5LE and the HE-6 have different drive requirements.  The HE-6 is a little harder to drive than the 5LE. So, even if an amp drives the 5LE sufficiently, it doesn't automatically mean it will be a good match with the 6.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #1,864 of 21,879
Dear Immtbiker,
   Sorry for responding late , it is because of the time difference between Asia and USA
   Ray Samuels SR71B is available for preorderat  :http://raysamuelsaudio.com/sr-71b-preorder   or
you may enter head-fi and search by enter  sr71b   it will lead to the blog of SR71B and there will
be a link for preorder there.
   Yes I do agree that the ibasso toucan + boomslang is cheaper than the SR 71B however I have
trust in Ray Samuels amplifier : low noise floor, huge soundstage and more than enough driving power.
It also can drive the CIEM JH13/16 with very good result and cheaper than the JH3A.
    The problem is how can we find the balanced input source with miniXLR 4 pin connection , the only
portable balanced input that we have right now is the ibasso boomslang which use diffent connection.
Ray also informed me that he is also working on a balacned DAC and I hope it will come out soon.
    However it's interesting enough for me to pull the trigger to preorder for my Christmas present from my
wife to me.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #1,865 of 21,879
Skylab,

Yes I believe the HE-6 sound much better from the Leben's speaker output, but then I thought they were under-amped from the headphone output. Thru the Leben speaker output the HE-6 is right there with my SRM-007tii / SR-507 combo.  They both have that visceral presentation I love, to my ears the Stax combo has a bit more bass, and as everyone has already mentioned the HE-6's is a bit forward in the treble region.  The source I'm using is a  Macbook / Weiss AFI1 / Audio Research DAC8 combo.

I'm not sure what the LCD-2 issue was, someone said it could be the way the headphone is grounded, others thought a resister needed to be used... I'm not technical enough to understand the difference, in the end I gave up.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #1,867 of 21,879

Quote:
I thought the HE-6 shipped with a speaker tap adapter as a standard accessory.

It's the same with my fisher. I'm only mentioning this because I know Skylab owns this as well. The HE-6 sounds very good from the headphone out. But the sound is breathtaking from the speaker taps. The soundstage is wider, the bass is just a little tuby from the headphone out. From the speaker taps, it's extremely tight and seems to extend even deeper. Treble sounds a bit more natural as well and is perfectly integrated with the mids which also sound a bit smoother. And there is absolutely 0 hiss and no hum at all. This combo is so good, I'm not pursuing another amp. I'm completely satisfied with this.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #1,868 of 21,879
Well, I am going to order a speaker tap adapter for my HE-6, I guess!
L3000.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #1,869 of 21,879

Quote:
Quote:

It's the same with my fisher. I'm only mentioning this because I know Skylab owns this as well. The HE-6 sounds very good from the headphone out. But the sound is breathtaking from the speaker taps. The soundstage is wider, the bass is just a little tuby from the headphone out. From the speaker taps, it's extremely tight and seems to extend even deeper. Treble sounds a bit more natural as well and is perfectly integrated with the mids which also sound a bit smoother. And there is absolutely 0 hiss and no hum at all. This combo is so good, I'm not pursuing another amp. I'm completely satisfied with this.

I confess that I have not yet had the opportunity to audition the production version.  But this also was the exact same scenario with my Cary SLI80 during the prototype loaner evaluation program.  The Cary is beast and was able to drive it from the HP-out, but just like my AKG K1Ks, really loved the speaker terminals in triode output mode.

To quote Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor, what these things seem to need is "...more power!" Argh, argh...

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,870 of 21,879

Quote:

I'm getting ready to order and would like to find this out. I'd like to keep the wiring the same so if it is not a standard accessory, can it be ordered extra?

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #1,871 of 21,879
For sure it is not a standard accessory.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #1,872 of 21,879
Fang told me that the box and associated accessories (Neutrik connectors w/spades, bananas, jumpers, etc) was going to cost around $100 give or take a Heineken.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,875 of 21,879
The protos in the loaner program did come with the box, fuses, and ever connector imaginable, under the sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back