HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #21,256 of 21,868
Thank you but can't. One, they are rare, as these are the 1st of the 1st and they were a review sample and I never give away or sell something like that as to me, it is not honest to the company that sent them to me.
Ok. I will give you 500 dollars to donate to your reputable charity of choice, I will gift you 500 more dollars for being a kind spirit and match that value on top of equal value of 4 screw in equable NFT of your choice!

Final offer!!!!

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #21,257 of 21,868
Ahhh, missing information, are there any differences between your review pair to the other 4-screw early version? I’ve seen someone searching for prototypes of the HE6,

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #21,259 of 21,868
Depends on who you sell to, from someone who has owned it before or new buyers.
When I blew my pair of HE6, I was willing to give 1300$.

Since they was sold for 1100$ when they came out, reasonable price would be about 5-600$. But there are so few of the headphone left, and rarely come up for sale, it’s difficult to set a price.

If you were going to sell it to me I would probably give 800-1000$, because I have 2 pairs in my collection already. But for me to sell the HE6 6-screw I would want 1500$, because I LOVE the sound of these, and have not found any other headphone (at any price) that gives me the same satisfaction.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #21,260 of 21,868
Ahhh, missing information, are there any differences between your review pair to the other 4-screw early version? I’ve seen someone searching for prototypes of the HE6,
still searching lol. Won't give up

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #21,261 of 21,868
Depends on who you sell to, from someone who has owned it before or new buyers.
When I blew my pair of HE6, I was willing to give 1300$.

Since they was sold for 1100$ when they came out, reasonable price would be about 5-600$. But there are so few of the headphone left, and rarely come up for sale, it’s difficult to set a price.

If you were going to sell it to me I would probably give 800-1000$, because I have 2 pairs in my collection already. But for me to sell the HE6 6-screw I would want 1500$, because I LOVE the sound of these, and have not found any other headphone (at any price) that gives me the same satisfaction.
Sorry but no-one would/should pay $1500 for a 6-screw lol. A solid price range for a 6 screw would be between $800-900, normal production 4-screw between $900-1200 (extra mint on the upper range). Obviously that can fluctuate but I would be surprised if anyone paid below or above those ranges. Of course 4-screws are becoming rarer however there are plenty still out in the wild. If you look at the market prices (within the last 2 years or so), that's typically where they fall, unless someone is completely clueless and deviates majorly from that when buying. Obviously a few years from now that might be different as the prices did see a 20-30% bump from the previous median prices about 4 or 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #21,262 of 21,868
Sorry but no-one would/should pay $1500 for a 6-screw lol. A solid price range for a 6 screw would be between $800-900, normal production 4-screw between $900-1200 (extra mint on the upper range). Obviously that can fluctuate but I would be surprised if anyone paid below or above those ranges. Of course 4-screws are becoming rarer however there are plenty still out in the wild. If you look at the market prices (within the last 2 years or so), that's typically where they fall, unless someone is completely clueless and deviates majorly from that when buying.
Totally agree, I was offered a 6-screw for 1650$, but that is still unheard of in the real world. My price is just showing that I don’t want to sell mine, but for a ridiculously high price I would consider it. But to be frankly isn’t the OG HE6 better than most headphones in the 2000-3000$ range? In my opinion it is.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #21,263 of 21,868
Totally agree, I was offered a 6-screw for 1650$, but that is still unheard of in the real world. My price is just showing that I don’t want to sell mine, but for a ridiculously high price I would consider it. But to be frankly isn’t the OG HE6 better than most headphones in the 2000-3000$ range? In my opinion it is.
Sure that might be the case that it is better, however now a days, most of those headphones have warranties and could be repaired. Hifiman no longer is able to repair he6s, before they could replace drivers, then it became that a 4 screw would be replaced with 6 screw drivers but those days are gone, now they offer the option to replace with he6se or offer to upgrade to a something else. So that has to be considered price wise, they have a finite lifespan, once they die they're really gone. Of course that doesn't stop things like the R10 or Omega Sr from commanding ludicrous prices, just he6 isn't there yet.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #21,264 of 21,868
Everyone seems to be forgetting that they also demand a very particular and often expensive source to even reach the potential of those higher end headphones.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #21,265 of 21,868
Everyone seems to be forgetting that they also demand a very particular and often expensive source to even reach the potential of those higher end headphones.
Yes but these days you have powerful enough amps within 1500$ range that drives the HE6 to 95% of what it is capable of. The power require myth is somewhat last decade issues in my experience (Referencing to Ragnarok, mcIntosh mha 150, Primare 30.1, Topping A90, Votrox v2 and Burson Soloist 3x) Burson came out as a clear winner considering price and size, with driving power.

But the A90 was driving the HE6 ok too, just lacked a little of that sub bass control the other amps gave

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #21,266 of 21,868
I’m not saying it always is expensive, but it’s very limiting and often isn’t very versatile. Many of these high powered amps don’t work very well with other headphones on the market and also take up a ton of desk space. I’m sure many people would consider the ease of use and versatility of the higher end headphones justifying of their much higher price point. Not to mention the other advantages mentioned before regarding warranties etc.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #21,267 of 21,868
I’m not saying it always is expensive, but it’s very limiting and often isn’t very versatile. Many of these high powered amps don’t work very well with other headphones on the market and also take up a ton of desk space. I’m sure many people would consider the ease of use and versatility of the higher end headphones justifying of their much higher price point. Not to mention the other advantages mentioned before regarding warranties etc.
I see your point made, but I think you come a long way with 2W at 50ohm. Then just chill out, and know that with every upgrade you do for the rest of your headfi career the HE6 will also get a upgrade.

Just want to mention that the HE6SE also is a steal in this market, and it can be powered by desktop amps. (For you reading this, adorama have them for sale at 600$ Often, which is totally insane)
Just want to mention that the HE6SE also is a steal in this market, and it can be powered by desktop amps. (For you reading this and are longing for the HE6, adorama have them for sale at 600$ Often, which is totally insane)

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #21,268 of 21,868
By the way, I heard the mha150 with my HE-500, and honestly I thought it was extremely underwhelming. While it didn’t sound bad, nothing stood out as particularly good, either.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #21,269 of 21,868
You used the speaker taps? Because the headphone out is crap

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #21,270 of 21,868
Ah no, I thought McIntosh would have essentially used their autoformer technology to make a good headphone out…. Should’ve known. I’ve tried the headphone out on their old power amps with pretty good results in the past, but I didn’t have a good point of reference/comparison at that time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back