HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #21,286 of 21,868
yea I've heard the Code-X. And since I own an og HE-5 it's pretty easy to notice the huge differences lol. The Code-X is a more damped version of the HE-5, it sounds more compressed, highs are tamed to an extent and the attack is more blunted. It still has some peak issues there but generally sounds less artificial and glary than OG HE-5. Honestly I didn't get what all the hype was about when I heard it.
That is exactly what I expected, haha. Sure, the FR might be smoother, but the excessive damping would really reduce all of the dynamics of the headphone. Thanks for confirming that for me haha.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #21,287 of 21,868
I'm an idiot for sending Andrew at headphones.com my HE6 - I singlehandedly screwed myself out of finding my own 4 screw, and dozens of other people searching for OG HE6.

Full disclosure, I've heard all notable variants of HE6 (4S early prod, 4S late prod, 6S and the 6se), and my favorite is probably the 6 screw (macrodynamics & slam/ fun) or the 4S EP (if looking for the best fidelity and treble).

After that, I would say the 4S late production and lastly the HE6se v2, which is like a super Sundara in a way more so than an HE6, with better treble detail than all variants, but losing some of the magic "slammy" impactful character of the OG's.

Photo by me, used for my good friend's writeup at https://systematicsound.wordpress.c...e-6-early-4-screw-vs-late-4-screw-vs-6-screw/
7poalv7-e1595308909822.jpg

@elquixote Snagged one of the shown 4S as I decided to pass on at the time. Smart man :wink:

Sorry guys for contributing to a crazy market disruption :frowning2:
Hah! After Andrew's video I had to hear the OG HE-6 and this last June bought a pair from a guy in Ireland... I think $1100 USD + shipping. They ended up being 4 screw late production.

Definitely great. A (slight) step up from the SE V2 I was using before... to me it's kind of subtle but I have a hard time consciously going back to the SE V2. Now I find myself wondering if I should sell the SE V2 or hold on to them in case the OG dies.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #21,288 of 21,868
Hah! After Andrew's video I had to hear the OG HE-6 and this last June bought a pair from a guy in Ireland... I think $1100 USD + shipping. They ended up being 4 screw late production.

Definitely great. A step up from the SE V2 I was using before... now I find myself wondering if I should sell the SE V2 or hold on to them in case the OG dies.
OG dying is certainly overhyped. I find that most people that blow them up are due to connecting / disconnecting improperly with power amps, poor volume control, and using very old vintage speaker amps that perhaps have some voltage leaks etc. I wouldn't bother w/ the V2 tbh or any SE for that matter.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #21,289 of 21,868
2 sold in May and 1 sold in June but the listing price were changed to $1 which is obnoxious, but iirc they were in the normal ball park prices. A 4 screw sold in late April for $950 which is less than what 4-screws typically sell for. I also know a few people that got some over the summer under $1200 USD.
I am so glad I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago for a EP 4-screw HE-6 (local sale). It has a few scratches but the magnets are clean and sounds great. Gave it a bit of TLC at home and I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Many thanks to @elquixote for being a sounding board during the process! I almost passed on this.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #21,290 of 21,868
I am so glad I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago for a EP 4-screw HE-6 (local sale). It has a few scratches but the magnets are clean and sounds great. Gave it a bit of TLC at home and I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Many thanks to @elquixote for being a sounding board during the process! I almost passed on this.
Sure thing man! Always love seeing HE6 get love!

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #21,291 of 21,868
I see your point made, but I think you come a long way with 2W at 50ohm. Then just chill out, and know that with every upgrade you do for the rest of your headfi career the HE6 will also get a upgrade.

Just want to mention that the HE6SE also is a steal in this market, and it can be powered by desktop amps. (For you reading this, adorama have them for sale at 600$ Often, which is totally insane)
Just want to mention that the HE6SE also is a steal in this market, and it can be powered by desktop amps. (For you reading this and are longing for the HE6, adorama have them for sale at 600$ Often, which is totally insane)
Lately the HE-6se v2 has been going for $599 at Adorama.

I have the HE-6se v1 and have had the HE-6 6 screw on long term loan. The v1 needed more juice to run than the 6 screw. My Rag 1 needs almost all of Gain 2 to get to full volume on full scale music (14 db max by spec). I have heard the v2 but not at the same time as the v1, but it certainly seemed to need similar power to the v2.

The bass impact of the 6 screw is better than either HE-6se - easily. The 6 screw has a more problematic treble (ringing in particular) than either se - w/o treatments and/or EQ they fatigue me faster than the SE. The stators of the se are thiner than the HE-6 - so the problems that the fuzzor mod are to mitigate don't hurt the se's as much. The HE-6 has more stage depth and a better stage overall easily than the v1. v2 is a lot closer. They are all HOF cans - in particular the 6 screw and the v2. Sorry but the OD HE-6 conquers all crowd can't say that in this comparison - in particular with a new can for $599 vs a 7-11 year old can that might cost $900. with goodness knows how much time is left in it.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #21,292 of 21,868
Hi All. I have a question regarding the HE6 4/6 screw vs the HE6SE2. I got the HE6SE2 directly from the hifiman's website and I also own the Arya. Both the HE6SE2 and Arya seem to complement each other in tonality, so i was wondering if I should also get the HE6 4 screw version if its being sold for 1000 USD price range. Can you please suggest, if I should get the 4/6 screw version or get the used Hifiman HE1000v2 for a little higher price? Thanks!

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #21,293 of 21,868
Hi All. I have a question regarding the HE6 4/6 screw vs the HE6SE2. I got the HE6SE2 directly from the hifiman's website and I also own the Arya. Both the HE6SE2 and Arya seem to complement each other in tonality, so i was wondering if I should also get the HE6 4 screw version if its being sold for 1000 USD price range. Can you please suggest, if I should get the 4/6 screw version or get the used Hifiman HE1000v2 for a little higher price? Thanks!
Get the HE6 if you can find it for 1000 USD

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #21,294 of 21,868

The he1000 have a similar sort of ethereal holographic space that that arya has. However the he1000 have a very different tonality. It's brighter than neutral, but imo is more detailed than the Arya.

The he6 has more of the weighted type sound of the he6se

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #21,295 of 21,868
Hi there!

Is silver plated copper cable a good choice for the HE-6? Any cable advice is appreciated!

I have just bought a used OG HE-6, after using a HE-500 for 4 years. This HE-6 came with a microphonic cable that I believe might be the original cable.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #21,296 of 21,868
Hi there!

Is silver plated copper cable a good choice for the HE-6? Any cable advice is appreciated!

I have just bought a used OG HE-6, after using a HE-500 for 4 years. This HE-6 came with a microphonic cable that I believe might be the original cable.
I would stay w OFC copper. The only HFM that sounds good w silver is the HEX v2 which needs the sheen in the highs.

If you treat the worst 2 ringing frequencies of the 6, it wouldn't be such an issue. Few do.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #21,297 of 21,868
I would stay w OFC copper. The only HFM that sounds good w silver is the HEX v2 which needs the sheen in the highs.

If you treat the worst 2 ringing frequencies of the 6, it wouldn't be such an issue. Few do.
Thanks! I am afraid I am a bit newbie for understanding what it means treating the worst 2 ringing frequencies. Could you please tell me more? :)

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #21,298 of 21,868

I don't totally agree. I have some Whiplash made by Craig, from years ago, silver and it is excellent sounding but then he also knew how to do silver right.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #21,299 of 21,868
Hi All. I have a question regarding the HE6 4/6 screw vs the HE6SE2. I got the HE6SE2 directly from the hifiman's website and I also own the Arya. Both the HE6SE2 and Arya seem to complement each other in tonality, so i was wondering if I should also get the HE6 4 screw version if its being sold for 1000 USD ere range. Can you please suggest, if I should get theq 4/6 screw version or get the used Hifiman HE1000v2 for a little higher price? Thanks!
4 screw for $1k? Unlikely unless it has problems. The 4 is legendary but not for me w/o EQ.. The 6 is closer too flat - EQ is more of a debate here.
Thanks! I am afraid I am a bit newbie for understanding what it means treating the worst 2 ringing frequencies. Could you please tell me more? :)
Planar headphones ring a lot. Means the membrane starts and doesn't stop very quickly. E-stat, ribbon, and HEDD stop much quicker. Accoustic suspension has some quick, some not so quick.. There are usually two frequencies where planar ringing is obnoxious. Somewhere between 4kHz and 6kHJz and 8kHz-10kHz is where many HFM ring. Look for waterfall plots on the can you care about. Ringing is not the same as frequency anomalies.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #21,300 of 21,868
I don't totally agree. I have some Whiplash made by Craig, from years ago, silver and it is excellent sounding but then he also knew how to do silver right.
Yeah I have heard silver in certain settings sound great, Just not with the HE-6 which I find a little sharp along with all the good things.

As always listen for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back