HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #21,271 of 21,868
Yeah, either that have lots of resistors or a dedicated headphone amp inside, doesn’t suit the HE500 or HE6 very well

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #21,272 of 21,868
Yeah, either that have lots of resistors or a dedicated headphone amp inside, doesn’t suit the HE500 or HE6 very well
I’m not sure why they would do this, specifically for an amp labeled as a headphone amp given their famous use of transformer coupled outputs….

makes me curious to know how it sounds off the speaker taps, though

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #21,273 of 21,868
Sorry but no-one would/should pay $1500 for a 6-screw lol. A solid price range for a 6 screw would be between $800-900, normal production 4-screw between $900-1200 (extra mint on the upper range). Obviously that can fluctuate but I would be surprised if anyone paid below or above those ranges. Of course 4-screws are becoming rarer however there are plenty still out in the wild. If you look at the market prices (within the last 2 years or so), that's typically where they fall, unless someone is completely clueless and deviates majorly from that when buying. Obviously a few years from now that might be different as the prices did see a 20-30% bump from the previous median prices about 4 or 5 years ago.

Someone had a pair listed for $2k yesterday :fearful:

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #21,274 of 21,868
Someone had a pair listed for $2k yesterday :fearful:
Yea that didn’t last long, it started as him trying to bid it and eventually said it will be for $2k then the listing disappeared after many warning comments.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #21,276 of 21,868
Supply is low, demand is only growing... You guys cannot realistically expect prices to not rise.
I mean sure that's fair, but there is a difference between price rising and it being close to double what the last few he6's have sold for not so long ago lol. At the end of the day people can ask whatever selling price they want but if they're trying to play people against each other by bidding they should take that to ebay.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #21,277 of 21,868
I mean sure that's fair, but there is a difference between price rising and it being close to double what the last few he6's have sold for not so long ago lol
Haven’t seen anyone selling HE6, and I check maybe every 2-3 days. They must have gone fast.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #21,278 of 21,868
Haven’t seen anyone selling HE6, and I check maybe every 2-3 days. They must have gone fast.
They did not sell, Head-Fi removed the listing due to price gouging

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #21,279 of 21,868
I was referring to the comment about last HE6 sales that was made. When was the last one? Is it possible to search history?

I also believe the demand has increased substantially the last 3 months, especially after headphone show’s review. And the increased popularity of the HE6SE, which lead to more people noticing the HE6 lure..

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #21,280 of 21,868
Lol what metric are you using to determine an increase in demand in just 3 months? If anything, I think the HE6SE has reduced demand.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #21,281 of 21,868
I was referring to the comment about last HE6 sales that was made. When was the last one? Is it possible to search history?

I also believe the demand has increased substantially the last 3 months, especially after headphone show’s review. And the increased popularity of the HE6SE, which lead to more people noticing the HE6 lure..
2 sold in May and 1 sold in June but the listing price were changed to $1 which is obnoxious, but iirc they were in the normal ball park prices. A 4 screw sold in late April for $950 which is less than what 4-screws typically sell for. I also know a few people that got some over the summer under $1200 USD.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #21,282 of 21,868
Lol what metric are you using to determine an increase in demand in just 3 months? If anything, I think the HE6SE has reduced demand.
Goosebumps ???

Nahhh just my own wishes probably :deadhorse:

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #21,283 of 21,868

I'm an idiot for sending Andrew at headphones.com my HE6 - I singlehandedly screwed myself out of finding my own 4 screw, and dozens of other people searching for OG HE6.

Full disclosure, I've heard all notable variants of HE6 (4S early prod, 4S late prod, 6S and the 6se), and my favorite is probably the 6 screw (macrodynamics & slam/ fun) or the 4S EP (if looking for the best fidelity and treble).

After that, I would say the 4S late production and lastly the HE6se v2, which is like a super Sundara in a way more so than an HE6, with better treble detail than all variants, but losing some of the magic "slammy" impactful character of the OG's.

Photo by me, used for my good friend's writeup at https://systematicsound.wordpress.c...e-6-early-4-screw-vs-late-4-screw-vs-6-screw/
7poalv7-e1595308909822.jpg

@elquixote Snagged one of the shown 4S as I decided to pass on at the time. Smart man :wink:

Sorry guys for contributing to a crazy market disruption :frowning2:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #21,284 of 21,868
Have you ever gotten the chance to listen to any of the LFF Hifiman headphones (Code-X, Code-LEX, etc.)? Do you have any opinions on that in comparison to any of those HE-6 versions?

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #21,285 of 21,868
Have you ever gotten the chance to listen to any of the LFF Hifiman headphones (Code-X, Code-LEX, etc.)? Do you have any opinions on that?
yea I've heard the Code-X. And since I own an og HE-5 it's pretty easy to notice the huge differences lol. The Code-X is a more damped version of the HE-5, it sounds more compressed, highs are tamed to an extent and the attack is more blunted. It still has some peak issues there but generally sounds less artificial and glary than OG HE-5. Honestly I didn't get what all the hype was about when I heard it. It is easier to listen to than a stock HE-5 that is for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back