HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #20,746 of 21,868
I'm curious, has anyone been able to successfully swap out the SMC terminals/sockets for 2.5mm or 3.5mm terminals/sockets?

I haven't tried swapping out the connectors in HE-6, but I have done it ( well ... Matt from ForzaAudioWorks did it ) in HE-500. 2,5mm fits, 3,5mm doesn't - at least without significant changes to the cups.

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #20,748 of 21,868
Does it make sense to perhaps own the he6 and hekv2?

I just bought the hekv2. (After considering the he6se that i have neber heard)

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #20,749 of 21,868
Does it make sense to perhaps own the he6 and hekv2?

I just bought the hekv2. (After considering the he6se that i have neber heard)
It does. And in my case I sold the HEK in favor of my good old HE6 4-screw. The magical thing about HE6 is that its punchy and detailed at the same time. The HEK may present more detail in a more delicate manner, but it can't match the HE6 in raw power and toe-tapping factor. Thru out my 1 year of ownership I've always felt the HEK is a bit too soft sounding compared to my other headphones. It doesn't help that its bass starts to roll off from 25Hz.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #20,750 of 21,868
Listening to my modded 4-screw right now with the @DekoniAudio Fenestrated Sheepskins and Elite Hybrids. I'd been using some ZMF Ori's with some felt dampening, but I think the thinner, less deep pads work better overall on the HE-6.

The 4-screws are of course a little brighter than the 6's and while I'm not super sensitive to treble, they can get a little fatiguing after awhile. The Elite Hybrids really seem to open the 6's up and give them a airy, yet detailed presentation. The highs are right in that sweet spot and it feels like I can listen to them for hours without issue. Bass quantity and impact does suffer slightly, but that's expected with these pads. The soundstage and imaging are just fantastic with the Hybrids. The presentation is very expansive and cohesive. Finally the comfort of the Hybrids is outstanding. Probably one of the most comfortable I've tried on the HE-6's.

Onto the Fenestrated Sheepskins. These are rather easy to compare to the Hybrids. It's basically like turning the knob to 11 and hold onto something. Bass response/quantity increases and soundstage isn't quite as big, so everything sounds more in your face. Treble is extended, right to the point where it was pushing my comfort levels. I listen to music rather loud (probably too loud) so this might not be a problem for some, but I'd probably get fatigued during extended listening sessions. Still, there's something to be said about the visceral quality this brings out of the HE-6's. Comfort is decent, but not nearly as good as the Hybrids or the thicker Ori's.

Overall I really liked both sets of pads and will probably just interchange them depending on what mood or music I'm listening to. Of course the quality is top notch and the included mounting rings are actually better than stock HiFiman rings. Wish I would have went ahead and got the regular Sheepskins and Velours, but even through Massdrop they aren't cheap. Perhpaps @DekoniAudio can send me them so I can do a full write-up and comparison? :)

Also I can throw these on any of the early HiFiMan headphones (HE-5,HE-5LE,HE-4,HE-400,HE-500) if anyone wants to know how they sound.
Super l8 reply, but can you compare the HE6 with HE5LE? There's one on USAM for sale right now and given that I'm a fan of the old hifiman lineup, I can't help but wonder........

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #20,751 of 21,868
It does. And in my case I sold the HEK in favor of my good old HE6 4-screw. The magical thing about HE6 is that its punchy and detailed at the same time. The HEK may present more detail in a more delicate manner, but it can't match the HE6 in raw power and toe-tapping factor. Thru out my 1 year of ownership I've always felt the HEK is a bit too soft sounding compared to my other headphones. It doesn't help that its bass starts to roll off from 25Hz.
That’s great. Thanks

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #20,752 of 21,868
Unfortunately, this is is the case with the HEK. I do like the large stage with the HEK and electronic genre with it, but HE6 does seem to have a more of a dynamic sound response compared to the HEK.

HEK has a bit of a thin sounding characteristic and therefore has spacial quality to it's sound with outstanding sub-bass, and HE6's good qualities is it's mids weight to the sound (richer sounding), strong dynamic impact, and I find the imaging/separation to be it's strongest trait expressing realistic decay qualities of the sound.

I prefer sound with a bit of mids weight which sounds more natural to my ears. So, HE6 is more of my preference of the two.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #20,753 of 21,868
Unfortunately, this is is the case with the HEK. I do like the large stage with the HEK and electronic genre with it, but HE6 does seem to have a more of a dynamic sound response compared to the HEK.

HEK has a bit of a thin sounding characteristic and therefore has spacial quality to it's sound with outstanding sub-bass, and HE6's good qualities is it's mids weight to the sound (richer sounding), strong dynamic impact, and I find the imaging/separation to be it's strongest trait expressing realistic decay qualities of the sound.

I prefer sound with a bit of mids weight which sounds more natural to my ears. So, HE6 is more of my preference of the two.
Is the bottom end more extended in the he6?
And suitable for rock, particularly from 70’s, as well as more recent?

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #20,754 of 21,868
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but which pads do you guys use for the HE-6?

I read a post with measurement somewhere in the thread with the MrSpeakers Ether C angled(?) pads being a very good pairing. I have a pair of those pads myself and am wondering if any of you guys have tried them with these specific pads.

I don't have an HE-6 myself but do plan on getting one someday. A couple of years ago, I remember demoing ago a grill modded HE-6 with Alpha pads(?) at a local meet and was pretty blown away.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #20,755 of 21,868
Yep i got a modifed he6 with the 2.5mm connector !

I forgot to ask much earlier, but can I get a picture of how it looks like? Maybe with the grills off?

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #20,756 of 21,868
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but which pads do you guys use for the HE-6?

I read a post with measurement somewhere in the thread with the MrSpeakers Ether C angled(?) pads being a very good pairing. I have a pair of those pads myself and am wondering if any of you guys have tried them with these specific pads.

I don't have an HE-6 myself but do plan on getting one someday. A couple of years ago, I remember demoing ago a grill modded HE-6 with Alpha pads(?) at a local meet and was pretty blown away.
I think if one can afford to, experimenting with pads would provide good insights with these I'm sure.

I'm a bit limited with experimentation with these, and IMO Hifiman Velpads is the best sounding, and I just get a feeling it is the best for imaging and natural decay of sounds. The stock ones, and Focus pads didn't sound as proper for me. The imaging came together with the Velpads. The problem is, it probably brings out the sibilant treble a bit with those types of mastering. If the mastering doesn't have that type of treble, it really brings out impressive sounds.
I forgot to ask much earlier, but can I get a picture of how it looks like? Maybe with the grills off?
Yes, can people share what damping mods has been done, and share such experiences on what has resulted with the headphone response?

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #20,757 of 21,868
Is the bottom end more extended in the he6?
I can't say for certain, but HE6 just leaves impression of impact, and tactfulness of bass. HEK leaves the impression of subs due to the way it's mids are not being as weighty. Subs stands out a bit due to this I think.

HEK seals better due to the it's design and the evolved pads, and HE6 is more oldschool in design, so that stock pads will leave some gaps, and velpads will be like the newer pads that seal around the head better, for a better low-end response. This can make a difference in bass for example.

And suitable for rock, particularly from 70’s, as well as more recent?
I do enjoy a bit of classic rock. Can you provide examples of music you listen to, and what you want as the outcome?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #20,758 of 21,868
Yes, can people share what damping mods has been done, and share such experiences on what has resulted with the headphone response?

I meant to see how the 2.5mm sockets were implemented, but that too!

I have a MiniDSP EARS to measure so if I ever get my hands on an HE-6, I can experiment with this.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #20,759 of 21,868
I do enjoy a bit of classic rock. Can you provide examples of music you listen to, and what you want as the outcome?
Well I’m still exploring my hekv2 so tonight i might try some pink flloyd and dire straits

As ideas for rock and other music that i often listen ti (off the top of my head) let’s throw around some
Led zep, deep purple, doobie brothers, definitely STEELY DAN (aja did not jump out at me last night) and FRANK ZAPPA, police, rolling stones

And separation of instruments is very important to me

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #20,760 of 21,868

On my modded pair (bass lens, open grill mod), I’ve tried stock, HM5 angled leather, Dekoni Elite Velour, and my current favorite, the Dekoni Elite hybrid, which seems to combine the bass from the HM5 with the sweet midrange of the Velour and also reveals more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back